Conti Enterprises Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Kurt G. Conti

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great experience"

I have been working at Conti Enterprises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good vision and positive attitude, good co-workers willing to collaborate and support the team.

Cons

Long time employee with little to no negatives about firm

2. "Read between the lines"

I have been working at Conti Enterprises full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1st is you are valued. Not just another number.
    2nd is Opportunity. If you put in the work and effort, you are rewarded. If you don't put the effort in, it is noticed. You can't hide here. Hence, lots of bad reviews are probably a result of this.
    3rd is great coworkers. Everyone is genuine and wants you to succeed. You don't hear "that's not my job". Lots of talent here collectively in the industry and they are open to teach you. All you have to do is show an interest.
    4th: Company is Ethical. Despite what you read here, I have never seen anything different. All that crap on here just shows you that people don't get it. If you are doing work at your house and the contractor doesn't show up and do the work are you going to pay them? You wouldn't tolerate garbage if it were your own money so why do you expect it to be different. Grow up and understand that contracts are in place for a reason.
    Company has been around for over 100 years so they have to be good or otherwise wouldn't have anyone working here

Cons

401K match could be better. Cap out at 2K.
    Upper Management needs to communicate better. Not all of them do and some lack transparency.

Advice to Management

Keep empowering your employees. Employees here bleed Conti. Keep it up and your Company will go a lot further. communication goes a long way.
    Stop hiring immature people that just damage the morale and don't have what it takes to work in Construction or be part a team.

3. "Great Starting Point for Entry Level Workers"

Former Employee - Project Engineer
    Former Employee - Project Engineer

I worked at Conti Enterprises full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Opportunities to grow from an entry level standpoint. Great values especially in HR.

Cons

Working long hours that didn't warrant the need for it.

4. "Lies, Lies, Lies"

I worked at Conti Enterprises full-time

Pros

Very few. They promise a-lot, then do not follow through. They give young people opportunity, but do not train them accordingly.

Cons

Expect to work 60-hours per week for 40-hour salary.
    Management encourages rating employees harshly so they get a larger share of the bonus pool, when there is one.

Advice to Management

If you are going to talk the talk, start to walk the walk.

5. "Great Place To Work"

I have been working at Conti Enterprises full-time

Pros

Family values and culture is what this company strives on

Cons

None. This is a great place to work

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Unless You Are Truly Desperate, Run Far Away"

Former Employee - Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Conti Enterprises full-time

Pros

Conti Pays well compared to most other contractors. They are also not particularly afraid of advancing young engineers quickly.

Cons

Oh boy, here we go:

Think of the most stereotypical, dishonest, sleazy, used car dealer you can. Now imagine there were a dozen of them running a heavy civil construction firm. That is not too far off from what you get here. I have seen vendor's bids shopped, payment held from subs/vendors with no justification, people (both Conti employees and outsiders) lied to like it is nothing.

Management often rewards those who talk a lot but accomplish very little. They fall for this act often.

Incompetence is everywhere. Beginning $50 + million jobs with PMs who have never been outside of an estimating office or superintendents who have never seen the particular scope of work before is a regular occurrence here.

When moving into a new region where the market was booming, the company's management fell flat on its face. No one seemed to research the new clients, no one understood that the way business is conducted will vary in different regions of the country, no one understood that the new kid on the block doesn't always get the benefit of the doubt, so you have to actually follow the project specs; no one was in any way, shape, or form prepared for the undertaking of starting a new region.

People are treated as expendable here. Unless you are a 10 year company man, you are often treated poorly. This naturally leads to a very high turnover rate, which makes maintaining a successful project very difficult.

As far as benefits go, there is not much to see. Among the worst 401(k) plans in the industry. Average healthcare plan.

Advice to Management

Kurt, you need to clean house.

Conti Enterprises Response

Jan 4, 2017 – HR

We are sorry to hear that your experience here at Conti was not a positive one. We pride ourselves on being the Company of choice for employees. With over 110 years of success in the industry, our... More

7. "Superintendent"

Former Employee - Structures Superintendent
    Former Employee - Structures Superintendent

I worked at Conti Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company took suggestions well and worked with the crews to get work complete

Cons

The heavy equipment was old and worn. They lack a mechanic to service regularly

Advice to Management

Keep the ones who work the best instead of being quick to lay off

8. "They are good at what they do"

Pros

Good sense of pride all around the company. They truly know how to get the job done right.

Cons

Lots of paper pushing and phone calls, not much engineering.

9. "Very good Company. Excellent for people who wants a challenging and rewarding career.The best."

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Conti Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits and they give lots of opportunities early on as long as you are up for the challenge. 100% meritocracy. If you perform and work smart you move up quickly.

Cons

General Super creates frustrating environment at times but ultimately it is somehow controlled!
    Hope that the executive management recognize this issue and address it timely before its too late

Advice to Management

Keep the meritocracy going and move people that create dramatic environment. Keep us the vision which is the formula for 100-year+ success

"Conti talks a good game, but doesn't always deliver"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Houma, LA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Houma, LA

I worked at Conti Enterprises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very well respected company who are risk takers. They are big enough to offer great things, yet small enough to make you feel like you are part of the team. There seems to always be a new opportunity, if you are from New Jersey. They are very generous with per diem if you are from NJ. Their IT department is on top of things.

Cons

I felt like I was hoodwinked when I hired on. I didn't have all the facts about my assignment, and not being from New Jersey I felt like I was expendable to the company. Conti seems like a good contractor, they just seemed to take bigger risks, especially in Louisiana and they are having a rough time. Long hours and poor management aren't helping get the job done or better client relationships.

Advice to Management

Do the job right. Hire the right people that can make the projects better. It's hard to think that people born and raised in NJ will go down to Louisiana and know what they are doing and enjoy the work. So take care to hire local employees and take care of them. Good employees are hard to find. And stick to what you know for the moment and don't over expand too much.