Continental Airlines Reviews | Glassdoor

Continental Airlines Reviews

Updated February 17, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Continental Airlines President and CEO, United Continental Holdings, Inc. Jeffery A. Smisek
Jeffery A. Smisek

Pros
  • flight benefits, fast paced, people interaction (in 35 reviews)

• Great travel benefits and working rules (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • The occult seemed to have taken over the company shortly before the merger with United (in 7 reviews)

• Everything is based on seniority-but this is the same of any airline-not specific to Continental (in 4 reviews)

1. "horrible schedules horrible pay not caring company do. not apply"

I worked at Continental Airlines full-time

Pros

nothing good BOUT IT AT ALL

Cons

RESERVE BORING LONELY FAR BAD MANAGEMENT

2. "mgr"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Continental Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

none other than the flying benefits.

Cons

Cowboy (bad) culture, manage by fear. If you speak up your superiors will retaliate against you.

Advice to Management

none, unless you are in the click.

3. "I'm back from 1992"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Newark, NJ

Pros

Continental airlines had its faults, but we all stuck together, even with pay cuts (3 times) so no employee would have to be laid off!

Cons

Since United took over, employees are retiring left & right! With United a retiree looses seniority each year they are retired, Continental never did that to employees that have been loyal!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees, the way you would like to be treated and then your employees will treat the passengers thusly!

5. "Don't drink the kool-aid."

Former Employee - Operations in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Operations in Houston, TX

I worked at Continental Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It was steady employment and you could travel if you were able to get back home. That's about it.

Cons

Dignity and respect only existed for a select few.

Advice to Management

Suggest a complete reassessment of middle management and supervisors. There really are a lot of unprofessional individuals in some key positions. In my own observation during the decade I worked there, it did not matter how well you did your job. You were judged by whether you were in the good graces of your immediate supervisor. It was horrible. I left several years ago having simply had enough. The "Go Forward Plan" was, and I can only speak of my departments only, an empty document as it pertained to working conditions and treatment.

6. "23 yrs"

Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic
    Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic

I worked at Continental Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay was...OK, New Jets. Gave me my start in Aviation

Cons

I quit shortly before the merger in 2010 Coworkers referring to themselves as Wickins seemed to hate Christians. The occult seemed to have taken over the company shortly before the merger with United. Also the CEO at the time of the merger was a big supporter of Planned Parenthood.. The union representing the mechanics (Teamsters) always seems to be trying to get control of the pension fund. The stock purchase program seemed fixed too as the price of the stock usually seemed to drop below the minimum purchase price around the yearly purchase date then rise back up shortly afterword. They also consessioned away the overtime pay that you'd get for extra hours on trade days worked. Starting in 1995 The company subleased away its Denver hub (brand new DIA terminal and hanger) to Frontier Airlines and later closed its LAX Maintenance Base shanghighing those mechanics into IAH or EWR or GSO which It closed later. Then after 9/11 it closed more smaller maintenance stations for cost cutting but didn't reopen instead its feeder airline took some of them over.

Advice to Management

Its now United so not sure what they are doing

7. "Storekeeper"

Current Employee - Storekeeper in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Storekeeper in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Continental Airlines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like the company thus far

Cons

No cons to report at this time

"Hideous"

Former Employee - Crew Scheduler
    Former Employee - Crew Scheduler

I worked at Continental Airlines full-time

Pros

Sometimes you get to fly. getting back is tough.

Cons

Awful lower level management. No respect for non-union employees. Abuse and favortism is rampant. If you are not a pet or favorite of immediate middle management, you can expect your life to be miserable. I can't begin to describe how awful it was to work in that place and how glad I was when I finally left. Initiative is not rewarded. Training is awful. I have since moved on and am very happy in the position i have now at another company.

Advice to Management

Complete review and overhaul of middle and lower management - down to supervisor level.

9. "terrible for seeing ipay...websites dont work..app dont work"

Current Employee - Industrial Technician
    Current Employee - Industrial Technician

I have been working at Continental Airlines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

i get paid one day early that is the only pro

Cons

the ipay app on my phone does not show what was taken out for what...it's very complicated and you cant see deductions ..always says its not available it's a joke...the desk top you can see deductions but very confusing..current deductions mixed with year to date deductions and it constantly makes you change password but when you go to change the password the website dont come up...good for companies terrible for employees..ive never had a problem getting my money thats the only plus..early never late but you cant log in 90% of the time...

Advice to Management

fix adp app...been several months you obviously don't review problems ive emiled so have co workers .. fix website it don't work.. sorry about no punctuaton im still upset and you have proven you wont fix it anyway you still get paid the same why spend money on problems if the companies dont care thanks for the complicated service becoming the american way im livid...

"Maintenance"

Former Employee - Technician in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Technician in Houston, TX

I worked at Continental Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Satisfaction of work performed. Jack of many trades.

Cons

Poor communication skills. Uneducated. Iliterate. Mobster philosophies. Ww2 ethics.

Advice to Management

Eradicate greed. Reduce mafioso influences. Act like à normal human. Especially to others.

"Everything was great until we got a bean-counter and M&A lawyer running a customer service oriented business"

Current Employee - Airplane Pilot Or Copilot in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Airplane Pilot Or Copilot in Houston, TX

Pros

Great coworkers. Good equipment. That is it.

Cons

Jeff Smisek has ruin the quality of this airline so he can get his merger bonus and get out. I am tired of hearing the complaints from passengers after a decade of nothing but compliments.

Advice to Management

Remember your front line employees. They will make or break you.