Continental Mills Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John M Heily

1. "Extremely Generous Organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at Continental Mills full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bonus eligibility at all levels
    Great benefits are very low costs
    Recognizes and rewards employees for their longevity
    Privately held

Cons

401K match could be higher

Advice to Management

THANK YOU! Thank you for being so generous. It feels great to work for a company that values the people at all levels of the organization. Having worked in manufacturing companies before, I can attest that no other company treats their plant employees as well as CM. And that generosity goes throughout the company. They are truly invested in our work/life balance, in our compensation and bonus, and in us as people. I have had a wonderful experience working at Continental Mills.

2. "Packaging Operator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

Pros

Great benefits, easy going work environment, potential to quickly move up the pay scale

Cons

I have no complaints this company has been great

3. "Very healthy work environment"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Tukwila, WA

Pros

Very knowledgeable and nice people to work with. Healthy work environment where everyone seems to love what they do. This place felt like a big family,
    Good sized HR department, which indicates that the company spends the time and resources to care for its employees.
    Lots of free training offered!

I very much enjoyed working at Continental Mills.

Cons

Can't think of any cons.

Advice to Management

Although the dress code has been loosened up last year, I would recommend dropping the code all together, especially if you want to attract younger professionals.

5. "Good Company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Continental Mills (More than a year)

Pros

I loved working at CM! It was a great culture and was a family owned business. The owner of the company was sincere and truly cared about his employees

Cons

The company is very old school and change takes forever. All processes and procedures take forever to change.

Advice to Management

Move faster, make decisions faster

"Great, growing company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at Continental Mills full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

stable company, generous benefits, room for growth, lots of opportunity to make things better

Cons

Growing pains equal some ambiguity and lack of process where you need it most

Advice to Management

Work on communicating with the employees. There isn't a process for communication that provides credible information. Embrace social media and new technology. Don't fear it.

"Good company with a culture dating way back."

I have been working at Continental Mills full-time

Pros

Pleasant people. Opportunites to give input and have considerable review. People focused.

Cons

"Culture" tends to slow progression. There's a large population of tenured people that have different views with a new workforce that is being hired, leading to tension between the "classic" way of thinking and new ideas.

Advice to Management

Be open to newer ideas and technology. Be flexible to a younger workforce (telecommuting, adaptation to technology like IM and productivity software).

"Great Compensation- Insane Stress"

I worked at Continental Mills full-time

Pros

Great compensation and generous owner. Good business growth. Love the owners and senior management.

Cons

Horrible atmosphere. You can feel the stress when you enter the building. Many mid-managers along for the ride and not producing.

Advice to Management

Start reducing middle management. .Most of them are Fortune 500 flunk outs. There is a reason they got packages from former employers. The big acquisition never happened so you don't need them. Rank and file is extremely unhappy.

"The worst place I have ever worked, stay away!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pendleton, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pendleton, OR

Pros

The pay is fair for the area. Not great but ok. Lots and lots of overtime no matter if you want it or not. Did I mention the abundance of overtime? Good people for the most part at the hourly level. We had a good production superintendent but he left back in July or August of 2011.

Cons

Safety is a joke to say the least. You get written up and your quarterly bonus taken away if you report something that needs to be address. We do these stupid SBA (Safety Behavior Audits) to make the plant manager feel good. The plant manager even nominated the plant for a safety award from Oregon and we got it. All the employees think it’s a joke because you will be terminated if you get hurt.

The management at the plant level is horrible. They run off all the good help. We had a production superintendent that was trying to get things turned around for the better. They didn’t give him any support and worked him until he left. He was putting in 14-16 hour days trying to help out. The employees really had a lot of respect for him because he worked with us and didn’t build up walls or levels of importance because we were just hourly workers. Once he left everything seemed to just fall apart and other managers left and after about 4 months we were left with nobody that knew anything. We have a lead in production that is the last person keeping things together.

You can’t trust anyone. The HR supervisor gets sucked into all the gossip and tells people personal things that shouldn’t be passed on. When you catch her in a lie she starts to cough and says she is having an allergic reaction to your deodorant, cologne, perfume, body wash, hair spray, whatever she can say to get you out of her office. She’s done this to me a few times.

Did I mention that we have a lot of overtime? The plant manager doesn’t work it but sure expects all of us to give up our families and lives outside of work and spend it all at CM.

A word to the wise, once the economy picks up and starts looking better, people will be lining up to leave this place. We need a workers union to protect us from these monsters. Stay away if you have any kind of life outside of work. Well, unless you are the plant manager. Then you can work 20-30 hours a week and pretend like you are the most important person in the place. Get real!!!

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and realize that the local management team is not getting the job done. Support the good people and keep them. Run the jerks that you have in there now out of town.

"A great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA

Pros

Employees are valued and respected, and everyone is given an opportunity to contribute as much as they are willing and capable.

Cons

The organization has many employees and members of leadership on all levels that have had no professional experience outside of Continental Mills. Continental Mills employees are very protective of the CMI culture, and at times progress is inhibited as a result.

Advice to Management

Leadership on all levels has a commitment to the development of its employees. Continue to make sure that employees feel valued and respected, as they always have.

"Wizard of Oz"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

Pros

Benefits, Compensation, Flexibility, Fairly Safe Work Environment

Cons

Wizard of Oz culture (don't look behind the curtain). Very stressful environment from a relationships perspective. Lots of back stabbing and talking behind peoples backs. Very little professionalism.

Advice to Management

The emperor is naked...accept what you see before you as it is. There is the superficial message about culture and family and loyalty but beneath the surface there isn't any or very little of each of the these. Employees at all or most levels are saying one thing and doing another. They have little or no respect for there peers or managers or in some cases direct reports.