Continental Properties Company, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 20, 2019

4.1
James H. Schloemer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Continental Properties is by far the best company I have worked for" (in 9 reviews)

• "Great benefits including 401K match, tuition reimbursement, BAAB bonus program, employee assistance program, competitive healthcare plans" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "And there will be no work life balance due to severe understaffing at almost every property due to tight budgets" (in 3 reviews)

• "I wish there were more Continental properties so more people got to experience the great atmosphere of living and working for them" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company Culture!"

I have been working at Continental Properties Company, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have only been here for about 7 months, but I absolutely love working here. My favorite part about this company is the people. EVERYONE around you wants you to succeed including my team, those outside of my department, and even the CEO. Your opinion and feedback is valued and actually taken into consideration by executives at the company. I am constantly thanked and appreciated for the smallest tasks, which really means a lot, as well as says a lot about our company culture. Managers take the time to get to know each employee in their department, and strive to ensure that their career aspirations are achieved. I could not be happier that I chose to join this company, and I look forward to what the future holds for Continental!

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but some people may not be able to adapt to our pace and expectations. With the industry we are in, we must continue to raise the bar each year to succeed. With that being said, the environment is very fast-paced and expectations are high for each and every employee.

Advice to Management

Continue to take employee feedback into consideration when making decisions/changes, as that is what seems to allow us to continue to be so successful!

2. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Team Operations Assistant
    Current Employee - Team Operations Assistant

Pros

The company culture is definitely very "family orientated" and everyone is willing to help if needed! So far so good!

Cons

Having processes for everything written down and documented so that if someone leaves the company or moves to a new role every step is documented

3. "Internship turned into a career"

Current Employee - Multifamily Systems Support Coordinator in Menomonee Falls, WI

I have been working at Continental Properties Company, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started working for Continental back in 2012 to fulfill an internship requirement to graduate college. Little did I know when I started at Continental that it would turn into a very rewarding career. I spent 4 years working onsite at several Springs apartment communities, before coming to our home office 3 years ago. I worked in 4 states and at several different Springs locations providing me with a lot of different opportunities. Every team worked with at the Springs was always very supportive and had the mindset of "There is no I in team" and it was a great environment to work in. Now that I am at our home office, it' still the same mindset and you will never hear someone say "that's not my job."

Cons

At this time, I have no concerns or cons about working at Continental Properties Company, Inc.

4. "Overall Great Company to Work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Falls, WI

I have been working at Continental Properties Company, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Continental Properties is by far the best company I have worked for. They are an honorable company to work for and really take care of their employees. Some of the highlights of their benefits and programs are:

• Strategic programs to develop your career track
    • Great benefits including 401K match, tuition reimbursement, BAAB bonus program, employee assistance program, competitive healthcare plans.
    • Salaries are reviewed at least yearly to adjust according to market.
    • 18 days of PTO in your first full calendar year of employment. Year of hire accrues PTO at a slower rate and is prorated. Generous rollover days allowed
    • Half day Fridays in August.
    • Monthly learning sessions about the company with lunch provided
    • Quarterly and Annual meetings to discuss the state of the company
    • Yearly "challenge" meetings to discuss in groups what the company can do better.
    • Performance reviews and annual interviews to discuss your personal progress and concerns about your job.
    • “Continental Cares” program to give back to the community through non-profit partnerships.
    • A leadership program is being

Other intangible benefits:
    • It is a very positive environment. People generally have a lot of team spirit and company pride. We all want to work to see the company grow and improve.
    • Executive leadership communicates effectively with the company. There are several meetings each year to make sure everyone aware of what the goals are and how the company is doing to achieve those goals.
    • Depending on the department, managers generally promote voluntary activities to get to know each other—lunch outings, happy hours, holiday activities, etc.
    • The company is committed to hiring the “best and brightest”. It is encouraging to trust that the people they hire are competent, intelligent, and hard workers. It makes doing the daily work easier when you are on a committed team.
    • Resources are generally available if you can make a case for what you need and how it will benefit the company in the long run. The leadership genuinely wants to help us be more comfortable and efficient. They value the people who work here and know that being too conservative with resources will not make this company better.
    • The company values success and is proud to be recognized as top performer in the industry.

Cons

While I really enjoy working for Continental Properties, there are always a few pain points in every organizations. Some minor issues this company faces are:
    • The industry is VERY fast paced. This is something that management tries to emphasize upon hire, as it can be a. However, sometimes being a fast-paced company can be used as an excuse for poor planning and poor communication between departments. There are times that transactions happen without communicating to appropriate people from supporting departments such as IT, accounting, marketing, etc. Similarly, cultural phrases such as “raising the bar” or “going above and beyond” or “doing whatever it takes” (while great in the right context) can sometimes be used as a justification of doing excessive work in short periods of time due to the poor planning and communication of other people. There have never been any detrimental cases since I have been here, but it can cause a lot of frustration. A task force was developed before I was hired to roll out a Smartsheet system to improve productivity/communication, but it is still being tested, and I am unsure how much it will benefit the supporting departments that are not directly involved in development, construction, and operations teams.
    • While executive leaders and management are constantly looking for feedback, action and response to the feedback can be very slow. At the very least, the company is always asking for your opinion and what your concerns are, which many companies don’t even do, however I have been disappointed by some of the follow-up in the past.
    • From my experience and experience I have heard from others, negotiating salary/benefits is difficult. Since the company tries to base its offers on the market, and reevaluates on a yearly basis, it can be difficult to negotiate from their firm position. This may be a bit of a shock if you are used to negotiating for what you want. The company tries to take more of a proactive approach, which may not always feel great to people who are assertive by nature as you generally have to take what they offer. That being said, I feel like I am being compensated well and my benefits are above average.
    • When I was hired, racial diversity was minimal throughout the company. This has improved since then company-wide. However, it would be nice to see more racial and gender diversity at the executive and VP levels as the company continues to grow.
    • Some department leaders are better than others about executing the career development, performance reviews, ask interviews, and other HR initiatives intended to benefit the employees. I have a great manager who takes these very seriously, but I have seen others not have good results. If these initiatives are extremely important to you, make sure you ask the hiring manager about them during the interview stage, and continue to push for them to be engaged during your employment.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees and take tangible steps to follow-up on suggestions.

As we grow, continue to involve more diverse groups of people in executive leadership and overall decision making.

5. "Amazing Place to Work!"

Pros

In my years of working at multiple places, I have never been at a company that I felt like my position TRULY mattered. I feel like my manager actually cares about my goals and desires, and wants to help you achieve them. They have awesome career development goals that you work to set with your manager and actually are able to give input in them, so it's not something just given to you. They want you work hard, have fun, and enjoy an overall great company culture! You will be challenged and pushed to think outside of the box to make sure we continue to raise the bar.

Cons

This is a fast paced work environment in almost every single area, so you must be understanding of that fact and interested in adapting to this type of company culture. (None of this being a Con, but things you must know for being successful.)

6. "A satisfied customer is the best business strategy"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New Braunfels, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New Braunfels, TX

Pros

Continental prides themselves on excellent customer service and treating each of their employees with great confidence. Each I feel is achieved and I feel I can reach out to anyone in the company and everyone is always willing to help each other succeed and be the best they can be. Lots of training and support.

Cons

None that I can think of right now.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I have worked in the industry for almost 8 years and have never worked for a company that I am more proud to be a part of.

"Over promise under deliver"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Continental Properties Company, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers can make it a little better but not by much.

Cons

Overworked and under appreciated, when you hit the expected metrics and exceed them its not good enough. Micromanaging is a lot a huge problem, and they will run you into the ground and take as much as possible. The work/home life is horrendous, people showing up to work sick or on their days off in fear of punishment, only to exhaust and make others sick too.

Advice to Management

I would like to see that people in corporate land are not over promising and not delivering only to punish those below and around. Micromanaging is no way to build trust in your team and also doesn't allow your employees to build trust with the company. I really hope this changes and gets better soon.

8. "Administrative"

Pros

Family like atmosphere, everyone is willing to help, fun

Cons

Pay isn’t great, hard to progress in career development

Advice to Management

Career development plans need to be more strict

9. "Positive Review"

Pros

I have never worked for a company that claims to have an open door policy and actually puts that policy into action. I am listened to, I am involved in decisions and I feel like I am really part of a team.

Cons

I have no cons at this time

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees!

10. "Assistant property manager"

I worked at Continental Properties Company, Inc. full-time

Pros

They have great training programs .

Cons

Upper management gives no support and allows you to get unfair treatment and bullying from peers. And there will be no work life balance due to severe understaffing at almost every property due to tight budgets.