Continental Properties Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2020

3.8
Continental Properties Chairman and CEO James H. Schloemer
James H. Schloemer
Pros
  • "I just started with Continental Properties a couple weeks ago(in 10 reviews)

• "The company culture is definitely very "family orientated" and everyone is willing to help if needed(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "At this time, I have no concerns or cons about working at Continental Properties Company, Inc(in 5 reviews)

• "And there will be no work life balance due to severe understaffing at almost every property due to tight budgets(in 4 reviews)

1. "Great Place to work!"

Current Employee - Leasing Associate in Oswego, IL

I have been working at Continental Properties full-time for less than a year

Pros

Teamwork Positive co workers All around great Environment

Cons

Working a full day on Saturday

2. "Would Reccomend"

Former Employee - Leasing Associate

I worked at Continental Properties full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly atmosphere. Flexible.Lots of Training opportunities.

Cons

Individual communities do not have enough input for policy decisions.

3. COVID-19

"Great Work Environment"

4.0
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Continental Properties full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is a sense of community among the Community Managers in our region. This bond is not forced and helped me adjust to a new position during the Covid-19 shutdown.

Cons

There appears to be an issue with talent and acquisition. Most sites are short-staffed in some capacity and long-term vacant positions are the norm. This can have a negative trickle-down effect on the entire region.

June 29, 2020Continental Properties

Thank you for the review. We certainly appreciate your feedback! Please consider reaching out to our Talent Acquisition team (talentacquisition@cproperties.com) to discuss how we can enhance our hiring effectiveness.

4. "Company Review"

Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Continental Properties full-time

Pros

-Everyone is incredibly hardworking -Ability to work autonomously

Cons

-Leadership not understanding needs to staff

5. "Run away from this company!"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Continental Properties full-time for less than a year

Pros

None, and I mean none!

Cons

No money to make any repairs, Maintenance staff is expected to clean the clubhouse daily while the office staff throws trash on the floor and trashes the clubhouse knowing you have to clean it up. Maintenance staff is expected to do everything in house to include large drywall repair, full paints, cleaning apartments, carpet cleaning and everything else not listed here with no money budgeted for parts or supplies. Corporate support is non existent, the only way to possibly get them to promise anything positive is to threaten to quit, but those promises are broken after you are strung along being told "We ordered it", or "I told so and so to get it ordered, let me check on it".

June 15, 2020Continental Properties

We appreciate your feedback. We realize you have already left our organization, but we would like to speak with you regarding your experience. Please contact Ashley Napoli (anapoli@cproperties.com) directly or another member of our HR team to provide more feedback.

6. COVID-19

"Don’t fall for the culture scam"

Former Employee - Community Manager

I worked at Continental Properties full-time for more than a year

Pros

I genuinely think Jim and Dan are awesome, and want what’s best. Sherry is an awesome Regional and great at helping you understand.

Cons

You are expected to work long hours during a lease up and have events 2 nights a month that you will not be paid for because you are salary. Your manager will give you conflicting instructions and then speak to you like you are incapable when you follow them, or even use it as a reason to fire you. They hire you base off of the speech that they are an open culture community and want to hear your feedback, but if you give it you have a target on your back and will possibly be fired. If they decide to fire you they will do it so you are ineligible for your bonus, like fire you two days before the month ends when you have to be there the entire month. If you are treated badly you have no one that really cares if you reach out to them. They will listen, but it’ll probably be used against you. Their regionals are allowed to do whatever they want even if it’s unethical and aren’t trained by the same training team as you are, so you are taught and told conflicting information. Don’t believe the “we want you to be the CEO of your company speech”, because that is so far from true. You literally have no authority to make any choices about your community without your regional and even if you make suggestions with historical data to back it up chances are they still won’t listen. Entering income correctly after being instructed that you are suppose to do that is an excuse to fire you in an at will state. Don’t take your assessment as you are doing a good job, because you can be told you are meeting or above on all of them and fired the same month. If you get a written warning take that as a sign that you are about to be fired, even if they write you up on things you are unclear on. Your regional will probably not take any of your suggestions serious because they know more about your community than you do although they have probably only been to it once or twice. Expect to work everyday because you have to sign all the leases as a manager, so if someone doesn’t sign it before they come to get keys it’s your responsibility to be available on Saturdays and Sundays, not paid.. Construction is a total nightmare and are held to no standard. They are allowed to ruin tubs (only resurfacing them to fix) stain up private patios, dent doors, scratch up floors and cabinets, turn over filthy apartments, ETC. and if you say something about it because you care about the asset you are not a team player. You only get $500.00 in petty cash that has to be mailed out to your upon request, so half the time you are out of pocket trying to fund the supplies needed to keep the fridge stocked and fitness center full. You can have zero delinquents every month and your country hit a pandemic and you are held responsible for people not being able to pay their rent when they are laid off. You can be proforming head of proforma and occupancy goals, have all good reviews with your name and team dropped in most of them, and if your regional doesn’t like you they are allowed to find a reason to fire you because they don’t like you none of your hard work means anything. You are literally used. Being pregnant and high risk means nothing to them. They only care about themselves and their community not you.

June 3, 2020Continental Properties

We're sorry this has been your experience. We appreciate the feedback and continually look for opportunities to improve ourselves as managers and a company. In this case, it does not seem as though our viewpoints aligned. We wish you the very best in your career.

"Great Culture, Great People"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Menomonee Falls, WI

I have been working at Continental Properties part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Coworkers are very helpful. There is always someone who knows what to do! -Exciting projects all around the country -Very inviting culture. Everyone is eager to learn and teach!

Cons

-Learning while working remotely can be difficult

April 24, 2020Continental Properties

Thank you for your review! We appreciate you being patient while our team works remotely during this unique time. We are glad you have had a positive experience thus far and are excited to welcome you to the Continental team!

8. "Maintenance manager"

Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor

I worked at Continental Properties full-time for less than a year

Pros

I wish I could actually put something in here but sadly I can't.

Cons

Extreme micro management, daily war/ cursing match between construction crew and management to punch new buildings Daily work schedule switched after hire from M-F to Saturday and Sunday work schedule and time missed with family. Over 10 different computer programs must be mastered within 1st month of hire and must be used to communicate with upper management. After being hired you will not be able to do your job without constant pressure and helicopter parent type overseeing from management. You will constantly be fixing issues from the construction crew if you are on a brand new property. So much so that it will consume you. If you are thinking about working here do yourself a favor and turn and run as fast a you can .you'll save a lot of wasted time and money.

April 27, 2020Continental Properties

We appreciate your feedback and acknowledge that new construction can be stressful. We realize you are no longer with us but would welcome the opportunity to better understand your concerns. If you are willing, we hope you will reach out to Ashley Napoli (anapoli@cproperties.com) directly or another member of our HR team. We wish you the best in your career.

9. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Continental Properties full-time

Pros

You’re rewarded with advancement if you work hard and put in the time. Great support from area/regional.

Cons

Don’t have any at this time

March 10, 2020Continental Properties

Thank you for the review!

10. "Positive Learning Enviroment"

Current Employee - Front Lobby Assistant in Menomonee Falls, WI

I have been working at Continental Properties full-time for less than a year

Pros

Since I have started working at Continental Properties I have been trained properly, introduced and welcomed by the large group of amazing staff and challenged to continue my education. Within the first week of my start date I was confident taking over my job requirements on my own. I was also assigned a "buddy" to help me get acquainted to the company culture. I was also given three amazing books about self and company growth to read. I have really enjoyed my first few weeks at the company and am excited to take on larger projects for all the different departments.

Cons

The only downside that I have come across was keeping myself busy. I like to work fast and hard on many projects and even overwhelm myself at times. I am still in the training process of my position and I know that work will add up as I become more educated on all areas of the business.

March 10, 2020Continental Properties

We are glad you have been enjoying your first few months with us! As you mentioned, continually learning is encouraged, and we are excited to hear you have taken it upon yourself to learn our business so quickly. It sounds like you are eager to take on more, if you haven't already, we encourage you to speak with your manager to discuss other opportunities where you can assist. We are always improving and have a plethora of projects. I'm sure teams would welcome your eagerness and support.

Found 106 reviews