Continental Properties Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 2, 2019

4.1
Continental Properties CEO James H. Schloemer
James H. Schloemer

"Organized, Strong Company Culture with Emphasis in Ethics & Values"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Apple Valley, MN

I have been working at Continental Properties full-time for less than a year

Pros

A company that walks the talk. SR Management values intelligence, feedback, ethics and talent. Lots of growth opportunities! I am proud to call Continental home.

Cons

There are an over abundance of software platforms that are not efficiently integrated. There seems to be a system for each individual operation. It would be great if the systems 'talked' to each other better. Company credit cards vs. petty cash. Petty cash seems to be a blast from the past.

Continental Properties2019-03-13

"Bad life balance ."

I worked at Continental Properties

Pros

Nice friendly co-worker and rent discounts

Cons

Did you know chick-fil a looses over a billion dollars a year being closed on sundays so employees can spend time with family, ( just a thought) That being said there is no life balance . Upon arrival of the company you will be expected to learn 10 new websites and you better know them inside and out or be frowned upon on your 30 day review. You will never get a bonus for completed work orders because you will... always have management putting new ones in no matter how fast you do them. God forbid your on a new property/lease up. You will have cursing matches between management and construction for not having the buildings completed on time. Then you and your maintenance team will become housekeepers and have to go in and complete all the work cleaning ,mopping ,touchup paint and waxing floors for the brand new apartment because you will have 1 day before 5 move ins. And the construction companies cleaners have already been in there 3 times but cant get it right. Micromanaging is key with this company so much so that you question what position you were hired for. Everything is through email and you better download the app because you will be overwhelmed with them. Let's move to training, you are required to be on training calls continually for hours at a time while your work gets further from being done and you will get repramanded for missing any training.

Advice to Management

Like running down a hill at 1st its exciting but then your body takes you faster than you can control it and suddenly you find yourself out if control.

Continental Properties2019-03-14
  3. "Love Continental!"

Current Employee - Leasing Agent in West Dundee, IL

I have been working at Continental Properties full-time for less than a year

Pros

I really love working for Continental Properties Company because they have an amazing moral standard, it's a fun place to work, my colleagues are fantastic, & I feel like I am a part of a team.

Cons

I have not experienced any cons working for Continental Properties Company.

Advice to Management

No advice at this time.

Continental Properties2019-02-25
  4. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Team Operations Assistant

I have been working at Continental Properties full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company culture is definitely very "family orientated" and everyone is willing to help if needed! So far so good!

Cons

Having processes for everything written down and documented so that if someone leaves the company or moves to a new role every step is documented

Continental Properties2019-02-20
  5. "Internship turned into a career"

Current Employee - Multifamily Systems Support Coordinator in Menomonee Falls, WI

I have been working at Continental Properties full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I started working for Continental back in 2012 to fulfill an internship requirement to graduate college. Little did I know when I started at Continental that it would turn into a very rewarding career. I spent 4 years working onsite at several Springs apartment communities, before coming to our home office 3 years ago. I worked in 4 states and at several different Springs locations providing me with a lot of... different opportunities. Every team worked with at the Springs was always very supportive and had the mindset of "There is no I in team" and it was a great environment to work in. Now that I am at our home office, it' still the same mindset and you will never hear someone say "that's not my job."

Cons

At this time, I have no concerns or cons about working at Continental Properties Company, Inc.

Continental Properties2019-02-07
  6. "Overall Great Company to Work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Falls, WI

I have been working at Continental Properties full-time for more than a year

Pros

Continental Properties is by far the best company I have worked for. They are an honorable company to work for and really take care of their employees. Some of the highlights of their benefits and programs are: • Strategic programs to develop your career track • Great benefits including 401K match, tuition reimbursement, BAAB bonus program, employee assistance program, competitive healthcare plans. • Salaries... are reviewed at least yearly to adjust according to market. • 18 days of PTO in your first full calendar year of employment. Year of hire accrues PTO at a slower rate and is prorated. Generous rollover days allowed • Half day Fridays in August. • Monthly learning sessions about the company with lunch provided • Quarterly and Annual meetings to discuss the state of the company • Yearly "challenge" meetings to discuss in groups what the company can do better. • Performance reviews and annual interviews to discuss your personal progress and concerns about your job. • “Continental Cares” program to give back to the community through non-profit partnerships. • A leadership program is being Other intangible benefits: • It is a very positive environment. People generally have a lot of team spirit and company pride. We all want to work to see the company grow and improve. • Executive leadership communicates effectively with the company. There are several meetings each year to make sure everyone aware of what the goals are and how the company is doing to achieve those goals. • Depending on the department, managers generally promote voluntary activities to get to know each other—lunch outings, happy hours, holiday activities, etc. • The company is committed to hiring the “best and brightest”. It is encouraging to trust that the people they hire are competent, intelligent, and hard workers. It makes doing the daily work easier when you are on a committed team. • Resources are generally available if you can make a case for what you need and how it will benefit the company in the long run. The leadership genuinely wants to help us be more comfortable and efficient. They value the people who work here and know that being too conservative with resources will not make this company better. • The company values success and is proud to be recognized as top performer in the industry.

Cons

While I really enjoy working for Continental Properties, there are always a few pain points in every organizations. Some minor issues this company faces are: • The industry is VERY fast paced. This is something that management tries to emphasize upon hire, as it can be a. However, sometimes being a fast-paced company can be used as an excuse for poor planning and poor communication between departments. There are... times that transactions happen without communicating to appropriate people from supporting departments such as IT, accounting, marketing, etc. Similarly, cultural phrases such as “raising the bar” or “going above and beyond” or “doing whatever it takes” (while great in the right context) can sometimes be used as a justification of doing excessive work in short periods of time due to the poor planning and communication of other people. There have never been any detrimental cases since I have been here, but it can cause a lot of frustration. A task force was developed before I was hired to roll out a Smartsheet system to improve productivity/communication, but it is still being tested, and I am unsure how much it will benefit the supporting departments that are not directly involved in development, construction, and operations teams. • While executive leaders and management are constantly looking for feedback, action and response to the feedback can be very slow. At the very least, the company is always asking for your opinion and what your concerns are, which many companies don’t even do, however I have been disappointed by some of the follow-up in the past. • From my experience and experience I have heard from others, negotiating salary/benefits is difficult. Since the company tries to base its offers on the market, and reevaluates on a yearly basis, it can be difficult to negotiate from their firm position. This may be a bit of a shock if you are used to negotiating for what you want. The company tries to take more of a proactive approach, which may not always feel great to people who are assertive by nature as you generally have to take what they offer. That being said, I feel like I am being compensated well and my benefits are above average. • When I was hired, racial diversity was minimal throughout the company. This has improved since then company-wide. However, it would be nice to see more racial and gender diversity at the executive and VP levels as the company continues to grow. • Some department leaders are better than others about executing the career development, performance reviews, ask interviews, and other HR initiatives intended to benefit the employees. I have a great manager who takes these very seriously, but I have seen others not have good results. If these initiatives are extremely important to you, make sure you ask the hiring manager about them during the interview stage, and continue to push for them to be engaged during your employment.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees and take tangible steps to follow-up on suggestions. As we grow, continue to involve more diverse groups of people in executive leadership and overall decision making.

Continental Properties2019-02-06
  7. "Amazing Place to Work!"

I have been working at Continental Properties full-time for less than a year

Pros

In my years of working at multiple places, I have never been at a company that I felt like my position TRULY mattered. I feel like my manager actually cares about my goals and desires, and wants to help you achieve them. They have awesome career development goals that you work to set with your manager and actually are able to give input in them, so it's not something just given to you. They want you work hard, have... fun, and enjoy an overall great company culture! You will be challenged and pushed to think outside of the box to make sure we continue to raise the bar.

Cons

This is a fast paced work environment in almost every single area, so you must be understanding of that fact and interested in adapting to this type of company culture. (None of this being a Con, but things you must know for being successful.)

Continental Properties2019-02-07
  8. "A satisfied customer is the best business strategy"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New Braunfels, TX

I have been working at Continental Properties full-time for less than a year

Pros

Continental prides themselves on excellent customer service and treating each of their employees with great confidence. Each I feel is achieved and I feel I can reach out to anyone in the company and everyone is always willing to help each other succeed and be the best they can be. Lots of training and support.

Cons

None that I can think of right now.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I have worked in the industry for almost 8 years and have never worked for a company that I am more proud to be a part of.

Continental Properties2019-01-03
  9. "Administrative"

I worked at Continental Properties

Pros

Family like atmosphere, everyone is willing to help, fun

Cons

Pay isn’t great, hard to progress in career development

Advice to Management

Career development plans need to be more strict

Continental Properties2019-01-09

"Great Company Culture!"

I have been working at Continental Properties full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have only been here for about 7 months, but I absolutely love working here. My favorite part about this company is the people. EVERYONE around you wants you to succeed including my team, those outside of my department, and even the CEO. Your opinion and feedback is valued and actually taken into consideration by executives at the company. I am constantly thanked and appreciated for the smallest tasks, which really... means a lot, as well as says a lot about our company culture. Managers take the time to get to know each employee in their department, and strive to ensure that their career aspirations are achieved. I could not be happier that I chose to join this company, and I look forward to what the future holds for Continental!

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but some people may not be able to adapt to our pace and expectations. With the industry we are in, we must continue to raise the bar each year to succeed. With that being said, the environment is very fast-paced and expectations are high for each and every employee.

Advice to Management

Continue to take employee feedback into consideration when making decisions/changes, as that is what seems to allow us to continue to be so successful!

Continental Properties2018-12-10