Continental Reviews | Glassdoor

1,061 reviews

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Continental Chairman Executive Board, Finance, Controlling, IT, and Law; Powertrain Elmar Degenhart
Elmar Degenhart

1,061 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Teilweise nicht immer gute work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Average low salary package compared to outside (in 24 reviews)

1. "Great opportunity"

Current Employee - Regional GOLD Coordinator in Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Regional GOLD Coordinator in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Continental (More than a year)

Pros

Solid opportunity for a fresh graduate. Great benefits. Lots of travel experience.

Cons

Random relocation isn't fun.

Advice to Management

The random relocations aren't always fun.

2. "decent company to work for"

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Continental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work culture
    work life balance
    good management

Cons

Less salary
    slow growth
    Most of the technology in germany

3. "Truck driver"

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Glendale Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Glendale Heights, IL

I worked at Continental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy load truck with pallet jack unload at docks done

Cons

No where to move up

Advice to Management

Communication

5. "Good company to work for if you're interested in taking technical courses to advance your career."

Current Employee - Production Line Worker in Seguin, TX
    Current Employee - Production Line Worker in Seguin, TX

I have been working at Continental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Over-time, time and a half over 40 hrs a week, is a possibility depending on which department you end up being placed. Pay is bi-weekly. 2 size-able, around 1 k each, are available to Continental employees every April. An employee must be employed on or before Jan. 1 thru Dec. 31 of the preceeding year to receive one of the bonuses. Continental offers medical, dental, vision, 401 k match up to 6%, tuition assistance for approved certifications/degrees, discounts with various vendors i.e., life/auto insurance, cell phone providers, plus many more. Decent production associate hourly pay if you're able to be promoted to a lead operator (average time period I've seen is at least a year of excellent employment history and a lead op. position becomes available).

Cons

I emphasize you apply with Continental thru the Texas. Workforce Commission website. DO NOT apply in person at the facility. Front door security personnel will direct you to their contracted temporary staffing agency. If hired by the temp/staffing agency, your starting pay will be only $10/hr. and way below par benefits. Then you try to work hard to get converted to Continental to realize the $2.50 hourly increase and much better benefits. I've seen a very small percentage of people get converted rather quickly, 2-3 months. But most take several months which adds up to a substantial sum plus a possible forfeiture of one of the annual bonuses every April. My conversion took 9 months costing me thousands of dollars in pay and bonuses. Even though I worked as hard or harder than everyone else on my line, I still lost several thousand dollars just because I did not know about applying directly with Continental on the Texas Workforce Commission website. I know one individual who quit a week after being hired by the temp staffing agency and immediately applied directly on the TWC website. Good for him he was hired by Continental. I thought about doing that while waiting for my conversion but I errantly believed there was a 6 month waiting period before being able to apply directly. The 12 hour day, 2 days on 2 days off 3 days on 2 days off 2 days on 3 days off work schedule is setup so that hourly production associates work 6 months out of the year, while still averaging 40 hrs per week. But 12 hour days on your feet get tiresome with no opportunity to sit, other than breaks, in most production departments. Hourly production rates can be more difficult to attain depending on your department/product line. Current hourly starting rate is $12.50/hr. Unless you are single and live with your parents or have another wage-earner in your household, the starting rate pretty much mandates getting a second /part-time job if you're unable to get over-time approved every pay period. A point of contact is an individual with lead operator responsibilities right. The point of is one level below lead operator but above line production associates. The point of contact does not receive additional hourly compensation. My lines point of contact makes the same hourly rate as I do. He does the lead operator job when the lead operator is out sick/approved time off/etc. I've seen some smaller department go without a lead operator for months.

Advice to Management

Consider a slight increase in hourly pay. Allow more over-time. Find a way to cut down on the amount of time production employees are on their feet. These are some of the main reasons I am beginning a new job search today. All of my co-workers and I get along great and I've gotten to know many other good and hard working people in the facility. I will miss them but we plan on keeping in touch.

6. "Good Benefits, poor leadership."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somersworth, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somersworth, NH

I have been working at Continental full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company Benefits, Weekly Paycheck, Co-workers, Hourly Schedule, 401 K match.

Cons

Payroll errors!
    Lack of communication between management-leads-employees.
    Employee input to help move company forward is disregarded because they didn't come up with solution themselves.
    You start as a temp and it will take a year or more to be hired on regardless of what they tell you during interview or how well you perform.
    They have a no drug policy but if your friends with management and get caught on property doing drugs they will take you back, multiple times.
    The fire the good ones for small infractions and keep the repeat offenders of greater infractions long term.
    Lack of concern over safety for employees with poor air quality.
    They hire anyone, place is rampant with poor and aggressive attitudes, sexual harassment .
    Leadership regularly partakes in bashing other employees creating a caustic environment.

Advice to Management

Do your job. Listen to your employees. Be a part of the Continental team instead of a chair weight. Everything said even behind closed doors runs through company so learn to keep private issues private and that might ease peoples attitudes towards the company. Don't preach Quality throughout the departments then tell employees to pass bad parts on so the company can meet numbers.

"Area Dealer Manager"

Current Employee - Area Dealer Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Area Dealer Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Continental full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Responsibilities
    Coworkers
    Management
    Corporate Culture
    Money spent on Infrastructure
    Opportunities for Advancement

Cons

Work place Politics
    Time spent away from Family
    Consistent Moving

Advice to Management

More money to be spent on Marketing & Information Technology

"My experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in German, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in German, VA

I worked at Continental part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a good opportunity

Cons

Didn't have the opportunity to learn too much

Advice to Management

Make the environment more comfortable

"Feels like things are going downhill"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Continental full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits package, above average PTO

Cons

Office politics, dated workflow, tools and processes, cannot hold on to talent, seem to know how to "utilize" visa workers, lots of frustrating inefficiencies.

Advice to Management

Work on talent retention and raising overall morale. Learn that people in this field don't need to feel "lucky to have a job" and are in high demand. Make better project estimates and forecasts so that "work/life balance" is not just HR lip service. People are wearing themselves out and rarely get proper recognition.

"Eh?"

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Continental full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, diverse company profile

Cons

Inter-department communication is a struggle. Lots of people "Set in their ways"

"Great vision and flexible with employee"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Continental full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

flexible employer, great vision, great values

Cons

A lot of focus on money money money and send messages of struggle even when the company is making great profit.

Showing 1,061 of 1,186 reviews