Contra Costa County - California Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Contra Costa County - California Chairman Federal D. Glover
Federal D. Glover
1 Rating

Pros
  • Good benefits, short commute, 9/80 schedule (in 5 reviews)

• Great people to work with and to work for (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible employee retention, low pay, poor benefit package (in 7 reviews)

• I'm talking to Bay Area Legal Aid about the supervisor next week (in 4 reviews)

1. "I'm in a great department"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Martinez, CA

I have been working at Contra Costa County - California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great bosses, open door policy, free flowing ideas from everyone, everyone's ideas are valued. Very fulfilling work. Love the youth we work with.

Cons

Better pay would be nice as it hasn't kept up with the cost of living. Medical benefits could be better though I still love working here.

Advice to Management

Try to negotiate better benefit rates for families. Better dental insurance. Don't disconnect from your employees and line staff. Value all employees.

"Don't work here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Martinez, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Martinez, CA

I worked at Contra Costa County - California full-time

Pros

Had some interesting clients and enjoyed working with the public and a small handful of coworkers. Glad to get a pension

Cons

Everything else. This is for the probation department. Pay and benefits not good compared to other counties, retirement contribution too high, outdated systems, lack of consistency fairness and professionalism, some downright mean abusive and extremely apathetic and lazy uncaring coworkers, no innovation or passion for the work, employee input is neither asked for or valued, promotion process is a ridiculous joke, extreme lack of leadership, no work life balance whatsoever.

Advice to Management

Put effort into improving your leadership skills.

"Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Martinez, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Martinez, CA

I worked at Contra Costa County - California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits were great, the hours were typical, no overtime, no weekends and the co-workers were awesome for the most part.

Cons

Micromanagement style, some supervisors thought they were superior to employees.

Advice to Management

Your employees are smarter than you think. Give them credit for working hard for the citizens of the county.

5. "Stay away from Public Works Department."

Former Employee - Clerk in Martinez, CA
    Former Employee - Clerk in Martinez, CA

I worked at Contra Costa County - California full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Varied work schedules. Clean bathrooms. Snacks people bring in on occasion. Only 2 small round picnic tables outside when hundreds of employees work at the building. Limited parking, when you can find a space otherwise you have to park on the street. Cold air from vents in the winter time. Free Motrin and Aspirin from the colds and allergies you get from that cold air blowing on you constantly. Last pro...when your shift is over and you can leave.

Cons

Office politics, favoritism, hypocrisy/double-standards, lack of respect, back-stabbing, mistreatment and all from management. Grossly over-worked and grossly underpaid for it. Lack of support from all managers at Public Works.

Advice to Management

Treat your workers with respect. Become honest. Become fair. Stop the gross double-standards and hypocrisy. Stop the popularity contests. Rules need to apply to all not just to a select group. Stop the blatant favoritism towards some. Support the core staff. Be advocates, not adversaries. Provide proper training and continued support and do your own jobs efficiently and timely so core staff is given what they need from you to then do their own tasks. Stop making the core staff your scapegoats for your own inadequacies, lack of planning, lack of knowledge and lack of respecting core staff's deadlines.

"In a living hell."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Martinez, CA

I have been working at Contra Costa County - California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None come to mind, except that it pays the rent. I'm not homeless. I have a job.

Cons

I'm sexually harrassed by my boss everyday. I hate it. I need the job because I have a huge child support order (also by the County of Contra Costa). Basically, the County has ruined my life. I'm talking to Bay Area Legal Aid about the supervisor next week. I talked to one attorney who wanted a $500 consultation fee. If you're thinking about working here, my advice: DON'T. I go home from work and cry every day. My coworkers tell me that NOT to report the sexual harrassment, even though they know for a fact it's going on.

Advice to Management

Fire all of the upper management. This place is goddawful, and I'd rather have taken a job at McDonald's where I wasn't getting harrassed every day at work, and am unable to focus on my job and do it well.

"Not bad"

Former Employee - Intern in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Contra Costa County - California (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent place to work and gain experience

Cons

office politics is quite annoying

8. "County"

Former Employee - VIA OFFICE TEAM: PROJECT COORDINATOR/ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT in Brentwood, CA

I worked at Contra Costa County - California (More than a year)

Pros

Stable and secure environment with good benefits

Cons

Lots of red tape and roadblocks

Advice to Management

Make things easier to get done

9. "Clerical Specialist"

Current Employee - Clerk Specialist in Martinez, CA
    Current Employee - Clerk Specialist in Martinez, CA

I have been working at Contra Costa County - California full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Generous time off. Ability to move to other departments and other cities while keeping your longevity. Multicultural in some departments.

Cons

Slow in upgrading computer systems. Slow in making positive changes. No longer offers retirement medical benefit after 15 years of vesting. Large percentage of your pay goes into the CAL PERs retirement system if you are older. Medical is expensive. Most people only see 1/3 of their pay. Low pay in an expensive area.

Advice to Management

Management needs to advocate more for their employees. Stop requiring college degrees for many of the low paying jobs. You are missing out on great employees by requiring college degrees.

10. "Good experience"

Current Employee - Manager in Martinez, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Martinez, CA

Pros

There is a talented work force. Health department values Good community partnerships. In general management takes a Progressive approach to their work

Cons

There is Limited opportunity for advancement. Budgeting processes are not transparent. There is a pretty big difference in flexibility about hours and how to do your job depending on your supervisor. Some managers have a lot of latitude and others don't.

Advice to Management

Develop relationships with higher ups

11. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Exchange Cust Srv in Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Exchange Cust Srv in Concord, CA

I have been working at Contra Costa County - California full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of potential and a whole lot of room for growth. This is a place you can retire from.

Cons

You can't just get in. Most jobs require tests and panel interviews. There are also wait lists.

Advice to Management

Try to offer more tests and a more stream lined interview process. Also, the wait time to get results back seem excessively long.