Control4 Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Control4 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great technology -- solid people and teams - great potential

Cons

Tough market with many, many competitors. Fast growth is imperative given big players.

2. "Very Good"

Current Employee - Warehouse Operator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Warehouse Operator in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Control4 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best JOB have I ever had so far.

Cons

I can't think of any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Best Company I have ever worked for."

Current Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Control4 full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Culture! Company really does care about its people. As with all growing companies, there are pains but what makes this company great is that their is an attitude of "yes, we can". If you like technology, AV, Automation and Controls, Control4 is the leader in residential home systems. Lots of really great people work here and have for many, many year.

Cons

No more Stock Options. 401k is now matched as of 1/1/17 (PRO). Health insurance is good but could be better. We find that is does not cover many of the regular things we need.

Advice to Management

Always put people first! It's the people that make or break your company. Invest in them and continue to care about their lives.

"Good overall, but..."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Draper, UT

I have been working at Control4 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed, family-oriented environment.
    The work life balance is great. There some flexibility in the work schedule.
    The technology is good. Free and discounted equipment is available after a brief period with the company.
    Occasional lunch provided by the company.
    Some of the company activities are good.
    Below management level, some of the people are genuinely sincere, friendly and very helpful.
    Opportunity to learn different technologies and skills.
    The quality of pay depends on the individual.

Cons

Upward mobility from within the company, career growth, bonuses and promotions are practically non-existing.
    Innovative technology is a figment of one's imagination. Mid management says they encourage this. However, their attitudes and actions prove otherwise.
    There are toxic people in this environment who seems to poison any progress of existing projects. Furthermore, it seems these people have too much clout in major decision making. Finally, the most loud and obnoxious people in a meeting room will be heard over more reasonable voices.
    The health benefits are sub par.
    Stock options have been removed as part of the benefits package.
    The quality of QA is terrible. This organization releases software containing known issues.
    The organization and its processes are in need of improvements.
    Mid management and project management are both questionable. There's is lack of and inconsistent vision, direction and planning.
    The CEO seems to care more about his image than his people, the product and the end consumer.

Advice to Management

Highly talented engineers are very difficult to find, let alone retain. Reward those high performers, and seek to make improvements in order to maintain high morale and loyalty. The toxic people must be removed or entire departments will be destroyed.

5. "Great place to work with cool stuff and outstanding people!"

Current Employee - Senior Firmware Engineer in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Firmware Engineer in Draper, UT

I have been working at Control4 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work is interesting and relevant. Positive environment. Focus is on giving customers amazing home automation solutions. Solving problems emphasized, not finding blame. Pay and most benefits are competitive.

Cons

No 401k match. Because of growth related issues, cubicle space is inadequate for some. Stock options discontinued.

Advice to Management

Implement 401k matching. Allocate work space based more on needs. Consider bringing back stock options.

"QA test engineer"

Current Employee - QA Test Engineer in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - QA Test Engineer in Draper, UT

I have been working at Control4 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people and fun products to work with. People are friendly and helpful. Management is great and they really appreciate their employees.

Cons

None as of yet. Haven't meet with many outside of my immediate group yet. Possible need for additional space/building in the future

Advice to Management

Keep innovating and creating the best product in automation. Lots of neat things I think in the future

"Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Technical Support Agent in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Support Agent in Draper, UT

I have been working at Control4 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome technology.
    Greatest group of people I have ever worked with.

Cons

Missed opportunity to listen to employee feedback for future product development.

Advice to Management

Take time and get feedback from your employees when it comes to developing new product. Their input and contributions may surprise and help to develop some cutting edge hardware/software.

"Mixed feelings"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I worked at Control4 (More than a year)

Pros

Market leadership
    Cool technology
    Good people
    Focus on quality

Cons

CEO leadership, attitude, professionalism, example

"Poor management and QA"

Current Employee - Technical Support Agent in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Support Agent in Sandy, UT

I have been working at Control4 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get free gear every year. Coworkers for the most part are fun people to be around.

Cons

Supervisors are non-existent so many employees take advantage of that. I've had days where i did absolutely nothing for half a day and havent had a supervisor or manager ever take notice. Only 30 minutes for lunch, which is frequently taken away if we have company meetings. Complete lack of leadership in day to day work. QA of products seems subpar, there are frequently known bugs of released software or hardware but it gets pushed out to meet deadlines.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees and their daily habits. Forcing others to take on a higher workload because you have half your techs wasting time is ridiculous.

"Awesome technology; Leadership that is both human and accessible"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I have been working at Control4 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Control4's technology is amazing. For anyone who wants to work in technology that is actually relevant to their own lives, this may be the best place in Utah. The employee beta program allows you to outfit your own home with company gear, and many industry partners extend amazing accommodation pricing on their gear. The result is that you get to work on things you actually use, and use things you have helped to create.
    The other thing I love is that management here are not aloof and unreachable like so many other places I have worked. They care about customers, the company, and employees. I can talk to the CEO, VPs of R&D, Sales, or Marketing. They're in touch, and will listen to the ideas of others.

Cons

Having lived too long under the start-up mindset, the company is now in a much-needed transition phase. It's becoming more focused and mature in its processes. That means it has some technical debt to pay down, and maturing to do. It's underway, but needs to happen faster.

Advice to Management

Don't allow growth to unmoor you from direct contact with the people who produce, market, sell and support the company's solutions.