Convercent Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 30, 2019

4.1
Patrick Quinlan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work and grow professionally!"

Current Employee - Sales in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales in Denver, CO

I have been working at Convercent full-time

Pros

- company culture
    - compensation
    - dog friendly
    - training
    - the software is above and beyond what competitors can offer
    - THE PEOPLE !
    - Unlimited PTO
    - Leadership

Cons

None that I can think of.

2. "Exciting Mission Driven Innovative Denver SaaS"

I have been working at Convercent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clear mission connecting ethics to business performance.
    In a time of CEOs being held accountable for their failed ethics and values, this company is making a difference... globally. We give the weak and victimized a voice.
    Culture of team work, curiosity and empathy.
    If you enjoy the excitement of a high growth organization, are passionate about being the best you can be, and are motivated by a higher purpose, then this is the company for you.

Cons

This is not for those that just want to draw a paycheck.

Advice to Management

Stay true to the mission - innovate, execute, repeat.

3. "They get credit for trying"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Convercent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They know where they stand as a company:
    * They have a mission
    * They have a great culture
    * They want to be a great software company
    * They're actively improving

Cons

Years of engineering mismanagement have hobbled their ability to be the great software company they want to be. They've made great strides, but have a long, long way to go, and are facing engineering problems that can't be solved by just "wanting to be better".

"Attempts to be Industry Disrupter"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Convercent full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission and vision of the company are the main drivers for why I work here. They have some great ideas of what compliance and ethics should look like in a company. They have a strong belief that their efforts can impact the ethical makeup of a company. They believe they can prove that more ethical companies perform better than less ethical companies using new KPIs. They really want to cater to whistleblowers/reporters as well as the CECO and that team. It's inspiring to be part of a company of consequence.
    And, sure, there are lots of company perks--dog policy, espresso machine, snacks, work-from-home policy, competitive benefits, and more.

Cons

The application-based customer management processes are deplorable. It is difficult (if not impossible) for the company to meet some of the expectations of their customers. The application technology stack and user experience seem to be stuck in patterns and practices that were going out of style over 5 years ago. There is a lot of talk about modernizing, but they have had a very difficult time getting that ball rolling. It has often been the case that the "squeaky wheel" customer drives the initiatives, but that does seem to be changing.

Advice to Management

The company alignment meetings at the beginning of the year (Heartbeat19) are promising. Stay the course. Let the CS and R&D departments get their new processes rolling and see some real change start getting implemented. The app and all the data lives in the cloud; embrace truly cloud-based technology solutions, not just VMs.

"Deceptive Employer, Toxic Work Environment = Beware"

I worked at Convercent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The new office in the RiNo district is pretty neat.

You can "work from home"

They allow dogs in the office which can be nice...but if you have a dog that doesn't do well with other dogs, this won't work for you as the dogs that come on a daily basis are allowed to wander and are VERY aggressive.

Cons

***Everything shared in this post is honest and 100% true. I shared all of it during my exit interview with HR and was told "We are aware of the issues, however, we can only do so much to help make changes." I post this leading into the review because the company tried to delete this from Glassdoor. This is an ethics company trying to silence a former employee from telling the truth. I am not sharing trade secrets or identifying anyone particular with the exception of the CEO***

This company has a CEO who is a dynamic speaker and delivers his vision with a ton of passion. He talks about how the product is "changing the world" and "makes a difference." so most newbies sit on the edge of their seat absolutely enthralled and buys the pitch, hook, line and sinker.
    I absolutely did.

However, about 60 days into this role, I realized the problem. The PRODUCT DOES NOT WORK the way they sell it or advertise it, and yet they continue to surface lies, knowingly deceiving prospects to close deals, and spinning truth to customers to keep them from canceling contracts.

Senior management has no interest in investing money into the basic functionality and a stable foundation of their programming, and the consequences are starting to catch up with them.

Long time customers are starting to raise red flags about the platform's sustainability and historical unsuccessful performance. The CS team have become experts at spinning the "fix is coming" for the long list of bugs customers track. But not only have the bulk of the fixes never been taken care of, the company internally acknowledges it does not intend on actually resolving a majority of these issues because they do not have the headcount or bandwidth.

So instead, they choose to launch a brand new product! That's right folks, you can't count on the campaign tool to deliver a disclosure survey predictably (and yes, this has been an ongoing known issue for over 18 months) or even be able to pull an accurate report, however, now you can spend even more money on the new Interactive Code of Conduct!

WHAT SENSE DOES THIS MAKE?

They choose to spend their money on a big fancy new office, catered lunches, an annual conference where they had to give away registration for FREE in order for customers to want to attend, and flashy salaries for senior management who at the end of the day, still are not getting the job done.

You cannot build a tall, gorgeous sky scraper and expect it to stand the test of time, if your foundation is a rotting barn. This company stinks of rot.

The other cautionary advise I can give is, this company culture is unlike anything I've ever encountered.
    Staff are non-engaging and do not make nice with newcomers. My team often went to lunch without me, never asking if I would like to join. You will not be greeted in the morning, nor will tenured individuals invest any time in sharing knowledge to help you ramp up faster. You will live on an island and have to fend for yourself.
    This is an inclusive environment that shows zero interest or respect for anyone who questions things, raises concerns, offers a new way of thinking/doing things or anything outside the already set standards.

And trust me, the standards are low.
    *Staff (including management) is allowed to "work from home," with zero accountability for actually doing work.
    *I have never worked with a group of people who verbally bash and talk negatively about their customers as much as this company does.
    *Staff (including management) show up to meetings 15 minutes late, never offering an apology, and some of them skip "company mandatory meetings" because they didn't feel like showing up - and no action is taken.
    *Mid-level management openly admit they do not read email, so if you need help, you'll have to physically track them down (if they're actually in the office) or send them a text if you need them to respond.

Nepotism is the word of the day. The CEO has surrounded himself with leaders who have absolutely NO idea what they're doing. What's worse, these individuals know they are protected and openly brag about their job security due to their relationship with this man.

There is zero professional development so do not expect to gain any kind of career momentum - unless you have an in with the CEO.

I still am amazed at this organizations ability to create the sense of guilt for those that are not all in. If you question anything, or raise concerns over the smallest thing, you are added to the list of red-headed step children. The CEO has his "in crowd" and if you brush shoulders with the right people, you can work from home full time, do nothing and keep your job. Otherwise, you are not acknowledged, respected or valued. Period.

NO EXCEPTIONS.

My advice to job seekers is to AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS no matter how much $$ they taunt you with.

Oh, and that salary grade you tell the recruiters you need? They'll agree during the interview process, and then make you an offer $10k to $15K less than your bottom line. I was one of MANY new hires that all had the same story.

Nothing about this organization is honest, nor is there any integrity in how they run the business or treat their staff.

I left on my own terms, finally forced to admit that things weren't getting better, they were actually getting worse and I could no longer in good faith support such a dishonest organization.

Advice to Management

I have none. You know the problems exists and choose to do nothing.

The board of directors are the only ones capable of putting a stop to the emotional abuse staff endure, and the outward facing deception that continues to occur to prospects and customers. Stop your AE's from selling features and functions the product CANNOT perform. Stop your CSM's from telling customers that the bug list is going to get fixed, when you don't have nearly enough staff to begin to address those issues. Stop the leadership from committing resources to new glamorous products (ICC) when basic things like the Campaign tool cannot deliver basic COI campaigns predictably, reliably or successfully.

As long as the BOD believes that the CEO walks on water, and believes the lies I'm sure he is still telling them, nothing will change.

"Company is hitting its stride"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Convercent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office space is pretty cool, open areas and artwork all over the place. The benefits are great, free rtd passes and gym memberships in addition to standard medical and dental, etc. The culture is improving a ton, everyone seems to be heading the same direction. Salaries are competitive, and people live the values.

Cons

Fast pace may not be for some.

Advice to Management

Keep the momentum going, we have the right people in the right places!

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Denver, CO

I have been working at Convercent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great workplace culture. Full transparency from the top-down. I think there is great support, amazing leadership and love the positive impact our software has on individuals and organizations. I truly do feel that this is a company that holds true to their values.

Cons

Honestly.. Can't think of any.

Advice to Management

None.. Keep doing what you are doing.

"Potential, but have a long way to go"

I worked at Convercent full-time

Pros

Every employee I worked with at Convercent was 100% invested in the company. Their mission is admirable and talent top notch.

Cons

Culture is toxic; so toxic that no exit interviews are given. The CEO may be open and honest but has little integrity. Not all hope is lost however; recent new hires in upper management may help to bring this company where it needs to be in this market.

Advice to Management

Take a close look at your staff and make some hard decisions to remove people that are not team players and don't have the right positive attitude to help take the company forward. Hiring good people that need a bit of nurturing is always better than having poison apples on the team in my opinion.

Convercent Response

Oct 22, 2018 – Sr. Director of Employee Experience

Thanks for your feedback; we regret that your experience with us was negative. While don't feel that our overall culture is toxic, we need to remain vigilant about toxicity in the organization... More

"A company held to a higher standard"

I have been working at Convercent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

"Driving ethics to the center of business" as your business model puts you under close scrutiny. If you don't practice what you preach, you'll be out in the cold in no time. Convercent makes it a point to listen to their employees and elicit their feedback. This continued conversation isn't just for show, it's used to drive business decisions.

Cons

Although the initial compensation package is impressive, the "unlimited PTO" is a gimmick I wish they'd get rid of. 401(k) program is kind of lame (no matching), and no set cost of living salary increases are in place.

Advice to Management

I have no advise to give. What they are doing is REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hard. They are fortunate to have invested & patient board members and clients. Maybe tried to be first to market with too many things instead of just getting really good at a few things first. Perhaps jumped into aggressive sales before the product was vetted and stable.

"Best SaaS Company in Denver"

I have been working at Convercent full-time

Pros

- lives and breaths their values
    - always looking for ways to improve
    - executive leadership truly believes in the Company's mission
    - office culture is really fun (dog friendly, scooters, free snacks & beer)
    - great pay and benefits (unlimited PTO)

Cons

- the product still has its challenges (like all software companies), but significant improvements have been made in 2018
    - fast growth mean fast change; employees need to be on their toes and willing to pivot as necessary
    - high growth SaaS companies like Convercent inherently have daily challenges that need to be overcome, all employees need to be critical thinkers who have a proven experience in solving problems