Convergence Networks Reviews | Glassdoor

Eric Gray

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "GREAT place to work"

Current Employee - VCIO in Milwaukie, OR

I have been working at Convergence Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*At Convergence, there is a lot of potential mobility for promotions, training, etc. *The training/education opportunities are unbelievable.
    *The ownership and management team are basically in perfect sync so you don't see any blatant dysfunction between the high level goals and the operations.
    *Office politics and drama are probably at the minimum level that mere humans can achieve.
    *Teamwork is emphasized. You don't have to know everything. Knowledge is distributed, and that is acknowledged.
    *Mistakes are EXPECTED. You don't have to live in fear of making mistakes and there are no incentives to hide mistakes. You can just acknowledge a mistake and move on.
    *The management is truly sympathetic to whatever challenges you're facing and will work with you to be successful.
    *Convergence is not "sales" focused. They are totally focused on building and maintaining relationships with existing customers over very long periods of time. *It's very rare that a customer leaves.
    *This is the least cutthroat organization that I have ever worked for. The general culture is a "win-win" collaborative attitude.
    *The owner is really into studying "leadership" as a general concept and tries to find practical ways to apply what he learns from his favorite leadership experts. If you like the author Simon Sinek and have relevant skills/aptitude, then Convergence is probably a good fit for you. If you dislike Simon Sinek, then you probably should not work at Convergence.
    *You have an opportunity to work with some really smart people that also work super hard. There's a strong likelihood that some of that will rub off on you after awhile.
    *The most important point is this one. The 4 team leaders all have impeccable character, so whoever your supervisor is, you will be in good hands.

Cons

*This industry is not cupcakes and rainbows. Not all customers are what you might consider "reasonable". You have to use and/or develop people skills to be able to play the cards you're dealt and find ways to build trust and work with difficult customers.
    *Typical growing pains for a growing company such as space issues and integrating new staff.

Advice to Management

*Expand the company's offices into other cities.
    *Continue to grow the next generation of leaders so the company can carry its culture and core values forward.
    *Consider internships to grow the next generation of staff.
    *Keep doing the road maps and spend more time talking about them and refining them. That whole concept is gold.

Nov 29, 2018 – CEO

Thanks for the GREAT feedback. I am very excited to receive confirmation the culture of Convergence runs deep into the roots of all the leadership team. Although this has been a goal for a long... More

2. "Great Opportunity"

Pros

The owner does believe that happy employees equal happy customers, so they do take care of their employees. Good benefits, lots of free meals, and company paid outings - just to name a few things that they do.

There is also ample opportunity to advance your career if you're willing to put in the work.

Cons

Space was number one with a bullet back in 2015, however, I cannot speak to their current space utilization.

Pay, the pay isn't competitive, for what you're asked to do, and the bonus is measly. Again, this was back in 2015 and I don't know if they've changed.

Nov 9, 2018 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the kind words. Our GREAT people are always my focus. As a massive Simon Sinek fan he echoes what I have always believed. Take care of the people. They will... More

3. "Diamond in the rough. One in a million employer."

Current Employee - Network Administrator in Milwaukie, OR
    Current Employee - Network Administrator in Milwaukie, OR

I have been working at Convergence Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been around the block when it comes to employers (16 to be exact). WHAT you do for a living is only a piece of the puzzle when it comes to happiness and job satisfaction. WHO you work for is a huge piece too. The owner, Eric Gray is truly a man of the people. I honestly believe he cares more about the people running his business than the business itself, which is rare. His persistence and competitiveness fuel his drive to make Convergence the best around. Employee welfare is the driving force behind the company’s success and he knows it. He’s meticulously built his leadership team to emulate his focus, so that vision is consistent at all levels. All leadership is highly accessible and truly care. Hard work is rewarded. I really feel heard when I speak. The benefits are outstanding. 77%-100% health care premiums covered (on a PPO, not some garbage HMO)! Which NOONE does. 401K matching with NO vesting period, because Eric doesn't believe in holding money hostage as a retention technique. Heavy quarterly bonuses. Decent merit raises annually. Focus on promoting employee advancement. Paid training and certification with no repayment period, again, Eric Doesn't hold you hostage with a retention contract. High starting wages. Flexible comp time with extra-curricular needs like time off for doctor visits and watching kids. Above average vacation time. Employee appreciation breakfasts quarterly. Annual company party that’s actually fun, like Great Wolf Lodge/Big AL’s/Casino night. Company picnics. Monthly in-house poker and beer night (Eric even attends this, and he’s so laid back you’re not on edge having the owner around). Monthly optional financial discussion, so ALL company finances are completely transparent. Strong focus on keeping the company on course and on the cutting edge of technology and tactics. The company values are consistently applied in all things (Growth, Relationships, Existing Customers First, Accountability, Teamwork) aka GREAT. Only 4 levels to the Org chart, Eric at the top, Director of Support Operations (DOSO) below him, the 4 Team leads, then support staff. They all care, they all listen. Opportunity for working remotely instead of taking time off for certain situations. Monthly raffle drawings. Fresh Fruit, water, and decent coffee free in the break room. The beast mode one man HR department that is there for the employees welfare. The DOSO’s primary job role as stated by him is the welfare of the works. But that’s just one color in the rainbow of awesome that he brings to the table. The team leaders are the glue that hold the teams together, the shields that protect the teams from all the BS, the crutch to lean on, and the nexus point between the support teams and the rest of the world. There is no management for people, only leadership. Only the processes are managed. Consider yourself lucky if you’re reading this review, and about to apply. You’ve found the best place to work for.

Cons

1. So many pros, it takes a long time to write them out.
    2. To keep wages and benefits high, real estate has stayed low. So if a spacious break room is more important than salary or benefits then this is a Con for you.
    3. Part of Convergence's strength comes from its efficiency. Its the premier MSP because its the best. So it only employees the best. Slackers, blame shifters, bad attitudes, excuse makers need not apply. If you're not willing to give it your all, then convergence doesn't want to reciprocate. There's no animosity in the teams due to people having to carry the weight of someone not doing their job, because everyone's doing their jobs. Convergence is more than willing to work with people through hardships and difficult times. But if you're not willing to be a GREAT employee and give it your all, then you're not going to want to work at Convergence, and this would be a CON for you.

Advice to Management

Clone the leadership. Backups are important.

Nov 9, 2018 – CEO

Why do I feel compelled to say I didn’t write this or bribe somebody to write it? Seriously, thanks for the over the top positive feedback. I am thrilled we are meeting all your needs (and... More

4. "Senior Network Administrator"

Former Employee - Network Engineer/Systems Administrator in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Network Engineer/Systems Administrator in Durham, NC

I worked at Convergence Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. This company is filled with good people. Teams work incredibly hard to keep customers happy.
    2. Always fresh fruit and coffee.
    3. Competitive salaries and great benefits.
    4. Good transparency and bonuses, fun events and even though there is a lot of work to do moral was good.
    5. I would recommend this company to anyone.

Cons

1. 24/7 helpdesk line rotation made me scared of my phone on the week it was on me.
    2. Work does not stop. EVER.

Advice to Management

I worked at Convergence for close to 2.5 years. I enjoyed my time there but have no advice to give management. Overall they do a great job.

Nov 9, 2018 – CEO

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed your time with us.

Having personally spent the first 5+ years of starting Convergence on “pager” rotation I do relate. I still recall the last... More

5. "Fantastic experience, recent frustration"

I have been working at Convergence Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong focus on teamwork and accountability. This place really does foster a great culture among all levels of staff. It's generally a fun environment to get good work done while enjoying those around you who you spend so much time with.

The technical expertise is extremely high, and quality of work is greater than you'd find elsewhere. Though sometimes we can fall on our face, we aspire to a higher standard.

Recent mid-high level leadership changes have us pointed in the right direction, and time will prove that it's the right strategy.

Cons

Growth is hard! We're under challenging circumstances now with a massive influx of business from both new and existing clients. It's created strain on all staff members, but leadership is trying their best to resolve it.

Still, our office is bursting at the seams and feels like it is getting worse. A rethink of our physical work space is necessary, beyond the immediate short-term changes we've recently made.

Work time is encroaching ever-further upon personal time, dimming morale. Again, I have confidence that leadership can turn that around, but in the moment, it's frustrating.

Training and development take a back seat to client needs, unfortunately.

Advice to Management

Drive home the organization's purpose. Another reviewer mentioned this a few years ago, and it's still not 100% clear.

Apr 23, 2018 – CEO

Thanks for the GREAT feedback. I 100% agree with everything you stated. Let me try to address each area of concern a bit.

GROWTH: Our rapid Growth is definitely hard and this year our growth has... More

6. "Excellent place to work, Excellent customer experience"

Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR

I have been working at Convergence Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Passionate about employee success and industry leading customer experience.
    Thorough hiring and interviewing practices.
    Company culture is a highly valued asset in all facets of the organizations growth.
    Deep IT support knowledge with workflows and internal operational maturity.
    Information security focused solutions to protect their clients and the company.
    Support team design and leadership roles.
    Open communication from top to bottom.
    Highly satisfied customers.
    Business requirements focused, not just slinging the latest 'tech' available.

Cons

Growth has the office pretty full with staff now

Advice to Management

Start planning for new remote office locations and keep the company culture as a core component for the strategy.

7. "Convergence is a GREAT Company to Work for"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Milwaukie, OR
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Milwaukie, OR

I have been working at Convergence Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people: there is an amazing bunch of people here. Great benefits: fabulous insurance, 401k matching, company parties, profit sharing. Have I mentioned the people?

Cons

We're a little tight on space right now and need to move so we can continue growing.

8. "Good place, good people, good mission"

Current Employee - VCIO in Milwaukie, OR

I have been working at Convergence Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of smart people here and they are dedicated to delivering GREAT customer service for everyone. Everyone genuinely cares about the clients.

Cons

The open office plan is abysmal. So much noise. Also, there is no emphasis put on training, so it can be hard for employees to get the time to learn our specific solutions. Not enough automation.

Advice to Management

Make training and new technology a strategic priority.

9. "Great Company and Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Convergence Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people here are what makes this a great place to work. From the top on down, just really great people.

Cons

Although it is is improving, it is not always clear where to find the information you need to do your job effectively/efficiently.

10. "Good company striving to be better all the time."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukie, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukie, OR

I have been working at Convergence Networks (More than 3 years)

Pros

Convergence, a service company, knows that how they treat their emoyees will be directly reflected to their clients - so consequently they work hard to treat employees with empathy and respect. They provide a fun, supportive, team atmosphere with autonomy for each individual as well as funding classes and training for mastery. There is the beginnings of a career roadmap that articulates what is needed to progress forward.

Cons

The open floor plan, while fostering collaboration, can be noisy and distracting.

Advice to Management

autonomy and mastery are supported.. But what about purpose? Knowing what we are working for - beyond a paycheck and increasing wealth of the owners is important to keep employees engaged.