Convergence Networks Reviews

Updated Mar 14, 2019

4.5
Convergence Networks CEO Eric Gray (no image)
Eric Gray
  1. "GREAT place to work"

Current Employee - VCIO in Milwaukie, OR

I have been working at Convergence Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

*At Convergence, there is a lot of potential mobility for promotions, training, etc. *The training/education opportunities are unbelievable. *The ownership and management team are basically in perfect sync so you don't see any blatant dysfunction between the high level goals and the operations. *Office politics and drama are probably at the minimum level that mere humans can achieve. *Teamwork is emphasized. You don't have to know everything. Knowledge is distributed, and that is acknowledged. *Mistakes are EXPECTED. You don't have to live in fear of making mistakes and there are no incentives to hide mistakes. You can just acknowledge a mistake and move on. *The management is truly sympathetic to whatever challenges you're facing and will work with you to be successful. *Convergence is not "sales" focused. They are totally focused on building and maintaining relationships with existing customers over very long periods of time. *It's very rare that a customer leaves. *This is the least cutthroat organization that I have ever worked for. The general culture is a "win-win" collaborative attitude. *The owner is really into studying "leadership" as a general concept and tries to find practical ways to apply what he learns from his favorite leadership experts. If you like the author Simon Sinek and have relevant skills/aptitude, then Convergence is probably a good fit for you. If you dislike Simon Sinek, then you probably should not work at Convergence. *You have an opportunity to work with some really smart people that also work super hard. There's a strong likelihood that some of that will rub off on you after awhile. *The most important point is this one. The 4 team leaders all have impeccable character, so whoever your supervisor is, you will be in good hands.

Cons

*This industry is not cupcakes and rainbows. Not all customers are what you might consider "reasonable". You have to use and/or develop people skills to be able to play the cards you're dealt and find ways to build trust and work with difficult customers. *Typical growing pains for a growing company such as space issues and integrating new staff.

Convergence Networks2018-11-28

November 29, 2018CEO

Thanks for the GREAT feedback. I am very excited to receive confirmation the culture of Convergence runs deep into the roots of all the leadership team. Although this has been a goal for a long time, ensuring that happens is was very challenging. It is also part of what keeps me from wanting to expand to other markets – they will develop a culture of their own culture. Keeping the core values, why and culture in expansion is near impossible. Plus, we have far more work to do in our hometown of Portland. As I am preparing for the company meeting tomorrow, thanks to your feedback, I added a reminder for staff about our leadership roadmap, other roadmaps and the importance of always learning. We have been talking about Internships again, perhaps it is time we test those waters this summer. …and thanks for the Simon Sinek shout out. Yes, he is a genius and my hero. Eric

2. "Prolly the best MSP I've worked for, but it's still an MSP."

Former Employee - Network Administrator

I worked at Convergence Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with. Profit sharing.

Cons

Pay is a bit below market value and seems almost impossible to make any real upward motion quickly. Raises were dangled in front of my nose like a carrot. Work/Life balance is barely non-existent is seems.

Convergence Networks2019-03-14

March 17, 2019CEO

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback. The hard part about Glassdoor is the feedback is hard to put into context. Why? It simply tells me you worked here in the past, but not the year. Why does that matter? Like people, businesses evolve and change for many reasons including economic and leadership. Admittedly, over the 18+ years since I started Convergence we have gone through five distinct evolutions – We are on Convergence v5.0. Based on the cons, my hunch is you worked here many years ago. I am confident we have made GREAT strides to improve the cons listed – I am sorry you were not here to see it come to fruition. The reasons I believe this to be true is based on current employee stay interview feedback, direct feedback from staff and statics. Addressing the specifics: - Pay: Although compensation in IT is all over the map, we regularly validate our pay is competitive within the MSP space. Admittedly, we can’t compete with a Nike or Amazon, but I can ensure you our people are not just a number on a spreadsheet that can be wiped out simply to make Wall Street happy. - As far as raises being used like a carrot, that’s hard for me to believe. Every employee gets a 6-month/12-month review and annual salary review. If you worked here recently and this truly happened, please email me the details. It will get dealt with as that would not be acceptable. - Growth is a core value and we have nothing, but upward opportunities. Every leader, Sr. technical person, etc. started a base level and was promoted from within. This even goes for me, although a founder, I too started as a tech and only became CEO 4 years ago. Every job we open, we always post internal first and more times than not fill from within. In 2018 alone we had 13 staff get promoted into new more advanced positions. That said, we do have high expectation of people to get promoted and do not promote just to promote. We want the best people in any role we fill. - On work life balance I will concede that is a real struggle. We do are best, but as an MSP client needs are always high, technology never stops, and the pressure is always on. I always say you have to be a bit nuts to want to work for an MSP and even more nuts to own one. Eric Gray

3. "Great Place to Learn and Grow"

I have been working at Convergence Networks full-time

Pros

Smart, hard working people that mean the best for their clients and co-workers.

Cons

Lacking in communicating the company's goals down from management to the staff in a consistent manner.

Convergence Networks2019-01-07

January 16, 2019CEO

Thanks for your feedback. Candidly, when I first saw it, I was taken back on the communications piece. Why? Via EOS/Traction process we have a documented 5-year, 3-year, 1-year and per quarterly plan outlined into a VTO document. We present that plan to the company every January and have for years. We then give updates each quarter as part of out monthly meetings. My expectations is via the various team meetings the respective leaders include how the team can help. Most importantly, the regular 1to1 meetings get into how you can personally help and grow with us. Additionally, we have various roadmaps and training programs for staff to progress their careers, living up to our Growth value. As I self-reflected on the feedback, I reminded myself that perception and reality often are mismatched in life. In this case, my perception was off and we must improve as leaders. The timing of your feedback was also GREAT as we just had our leadership team 2-day offsite the past two days. I was able to make improving communication companywide a discussion. As leaders we all agreed we need to do better, ensuring we are all consistent. We have completed our updated 5,3,1 year plan. Greg and I will be presenting it to the company the last Friday of the month as step 1. We are also going to add a Microsoft Teams Channel for electronic copies, in addition to those displayed around the office. We will use this teams channel to better track and communicate updates as well as answer clarifying questions. As leaders we are going too also ensure we consistently integrate updates on said goals into our team meetings. Our 1to1 meetings will start to include more personal discussions on how we can align personal and business goals. We have other ideas and goals for further communications improvements, but that is our starting point. Over the next few weeks I expect you will see improved communication, with even more improvements over the course of 2019. That said, I don’t want to assume it is better. If you are open to it, I would love it if you come and find me (or any team leader) to give feedback on how we are doing as well as ideas on how we can do even better. We are all ears. Eric

4. "Great Opportunity"

I worked at Convergence Networks

Pros

The owner does believe that happy employees equal happy customers, so they do take care of their employees. Good benefits, lots of free meals, and company paid outings - just to name a few things that they do. There is also ample opportunity to advance your career if you're willing to put in the work.

Cons

Space was number one with a bullet back in 2015, however, I cannot speak to their current space utilization. Pay, the pay isn't competitive, for what you're asked to do, and the bonus is measly. Again, this was back in 2015 and I don't know if they've changed.

Convergence Networks2018-10-09

November 9, 2018CEO

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the kind words. Our GREAT people are always my focus. As a massive Simon Sinek fan he echoes what I have always believed. Take care of the people. They will take care of the clients. Then the money works itself out. Too many business have it backwards. Much has changed since 2015. Although our main office is the same location, we have taken on additional office space and have staff who work remotely. With our rebranding happening next week, we are making more office improvements to help the look get out of the 1990s. Feel free to come on back by in Q1 2019 and check out the improvements. I would be happy to treat you to a lunch. On pay, both base and profit sharing, as the economy has grown and we performed well our staff, all staff, have seen pay increases. As any staff here in 2015 can attest, I am happy to say the bonuses in 2018 are much better. Eric

5. "Diamond in the rough. One in a million employer."

Current Employee - Network Administrator in Milwaukie, OR

I have been working at Convergence Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've been around the block when it comes to employers (16 to be exact). WHAT you do for a living is only a piece of the puzzle when it comes to happiness and job satisfaction. WHO you work for is a huge piece too. The owner, Eric Gray is truly a man of the people. I honestly believe he cares more about the people running his business than the business itself, which is rare. His persistence and competitiveness fuel his drive to make Convergence the best around. Employee welfare is the driving force behind the company’s success and he knows it. He’s meticulously built his leadership team to emulate his focus, so that vision is consistent at all levels. All leadership is highly accessible and truly care. Hard work is rewarded. I really feel heard when I speak. The benefits are outstanding. 77%-100% health care premiums covered (on a PPO, not some garbage HMO)! Which NOONE does. 401K matching with NO vesting period, because Eric doesn't believe in holding money hostage as a retention technique. Heavy quarterly bonuses. Decent merit raises annually. Focus on promoting employee advancement. Paid training and certification with no repayment period, again, Eric Doesn't hold you hostage with a retention contract. High starting wages. Flexible comp time with extra-curricular needs like time off for doctor visits and watching kids. Above average vacation time. Employee appreciation breakfasts quarterly. Annual company party that’s actually fun, like Great Wolf Lodge/Big AL’s/Casino night. Company picnics. Monthly in-house poker and beer night (Eric even attends this, and he’s so laid back you’re not on edge having the owner around). Monthly optional financial discussion, so ALL company finances are completely transparent. Strong focus on keeping the company on course and on the cutting edge of technology and tactics. The company values are consistently applied in all things (Growth, Relationships, Existing Customers First, Accountability, Teamwork) aka GREAT. Only 4 levels to the Org chart, Eric at the top, Director of Support Operations (DOSO) below him, the 4 Team leads, then support staff. They all care, they all listen. Opportunity for working remotely instead of taking time off for certain situations. Monthly raffle drawings. Fresh Fruit, water, and decent coffee free in the break room. The beast mode one man HR department that is there for the employees welfare. The DOSO’s primary job role as stated by him is the welfare of the works. But that’s just one color in the rainbow of awesome that he brings to the table. The team leaders are the glue that hold the teams together, the shields that protect the teams from all the BS, the crutch to lean on, and the nexus point between the support teams and the rest of the world. There is no management for people, only leadership. Only the processes are managed. Consider yourself lucky if you’re reading this review, and about to apply. You’ve found the best place to work for.

Cons

1. So many pros, it takes a long time to write them out. 2. To keep wages and benefits high, real estate has stayed low. So if a spacious break room is more important than salary or benefits then this is a Con for you. 3. Part of Convergence's strength comes from its efficiency. Its the premier MSP because its the best. So it only employees the best. Slackers, blame shifters, bad attitudes, excuse makers need not apply. If you're not willing to give it your all, then convergence doesn't want to reciprocate. There's no animosity in the teams due to people having to carry the weight of someone not doing their job, because everyone's doing their jobs. Convergence is more than willing to work with people through hardships and difficult times. But if you're not willing to be a GREAT employee and give it your all, then you're not going to want to work at Convergence, and this would be a CON for you.

Convergence Networks2018-09-22

November 9, 2018CEO

Why do I feel compelled to say I didn’t write this or bribe somebody to write it? Seriously, thanks for the over the top positive feedback. I am thrilled we are meeting all your needs (and beyond). If that ever changes, let me know. Eric

6. "Senior Network Administrator"

Former Employee - Network Engineer/Systems Administrator in Durham, NC

I worked at Convergence Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. This company is filled with good people. Teams work incredibly hard to keep customers happy. 2. Always fresh fruit and coffee. 3. Competitive salaries and great benefits. 4. Good transparency and bonuses, fun events and even though there is a lot of work to do moral was good. 5. I would recommend this company to anyone.

Cons

1. 24/7 helpdesk line rotation made me scared of my phone on the week it was on me. 2. Work does not stop. EVER.

Convergence Networks2018-09-26

November 9, 2018CEO

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed your time with us. Having personally spent the first 5+ years of starting Convergence on “pager” rotation I do relate. I still recall the last weekend I had pager – yes it was a pager. Reality is being a Managed Services Provider we are here to respond to customer work stoppages whenever they may occur. Despite having an on call rotation process, which ensures it rotates through the Network Administrators, it is true every few months our Network Admin get a week of on call. The good news is unlike a decade ago we give a bit of extra pay for the week – sadly, we once did not. This is enough extra pay that some people volunteer for extra turns. I do also get a copy of every on call message any customer leaves after hours. This lets me personally see the impact to our people. In those rare cases of a large impact outage to the person, I can ensure we give them extra time off to make up for it. Eric

7. "Fantastic experience, recent frustration"

I have been working at Convergence Networks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Strong focus on teamwork and accountability. This place really does foster a great culture among all levels of staff. It's generally a fun environment to get good work done while enjoying those around you who you spend so much time with. The technical expertise is extremely high, and quality of work is greater than you'd find elsewhere. Though sometimes we can fall on our face, we aspire to a higher standard. Recent mid-high level leadership changes have us pointed in the right direction, and time will prove that it's the right strategy.

Cons

Growth is hard! We're under challenging circumstances now with a massive influx of business from both new and existing clients. It's created strain on all staff members, but leadership is trying their best to resolve it. Still, our office is bursting at the seams and feels like it is getting worse. A rethink of our physical work space is necessary, beyond the immediate short-term changes we've recently made. Work time is encroaching ever-further upon personal time, dimming morale. Again, I have confidence that leadership can turn that around, but in the moment, it's frustrating. Training and development take a back seat to client needs, unfortunately.

Convergence Networks2018-04-20

April 23, 2018CEO

Thanks for the GREAT feedback. I 100% agree with everything you stated. Let me try to address each area of concern a bit. GROWTH: Our rapid Growth is definitely hard and this year our growth has exceeded our projections, having us behind on hiring. We are getting caught up quickly (hiring ~7 people in 6 weeks), but the dividends of that will take time. In the end, the best answer I have for Growth is to hire more GREAT people, train them well and reduce the workload on all staff. We will get there! OFFICE SPACE (not the movie): If Portland was not a HOT market in space (commercial and residential) we would simply move to a different, bigger office. That was my desire. Unless we are willing to move a great distance and impacting our peoples drive time, which I am not, our options are limited. The stop gap was additional space next door, with plans to remodel our current space once our rebranding is done. Furthermore, do not fear, I will bring in a professional for the office re-design. We all know I lack good taste in design. I expect this to happen late summer/fall 2018. TRAINING: Sadly, training is always a challenge. One on hand for the motivated people we have a lot of opportunities from college reimbursement to technical training galore. But on a mass level, we struggle to make the time. Something we are working on improving in 2018. One area I suspect exacerbated the issue in 2017 was we deviated a bit from our standards, selling many different solutions. This presents a challenge. For example, if we sell 5 brands of firewalls is not practical for mass training on those 5 brands. Getting back to 1 brand lets us focus our training efforts (time and money). This is a big part of “why” behind our internal push in 2018 to get back to our standards as defined. I do truly apologize for any impact work has had on your personal life (or your teammates). It is never my goal to have people sacrifice life for work. We are all committed to fixing this. Please feel free to come see me with other follow-up questions or feedback. My door is always open, just come on in! Eric Gray

8. "Excellent place to work, Excellent customer experience"

Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR

I have been working at Convergence Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Passionate about employee success and industry leading customer experience. Thorough hiring and interviewing practices. Company culture is a highly valued asset in all facets of the organizations growth. Deep IT support knowledge with workflows and internal operational maturity. Information security focused solutions to protect their clients and the company. Support team design and leadership roles. Open communication from top to bottom. Highly satisfied customers. Business requirements focused, not just slinging the latest 'tech' available.

Cons

Growth has the office pretty full with staff now

Convergence Networks2017-06-08
  9. "Convergence is a GREAT Company to Work for"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Milwaukie, OR

I have been working at Convergence Networks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people: there is an amazing bunch of people here. Great benefits: fabulous insurance, 401k matching, company parties, profit sharing. Have I mentioned the people?

Cons

We're a little tight on space right now and need to move so we can continue growing.

Convergence Networks2017-03-09
  10. "Good place, good people, good mission"

Current Employee - VCIO in Milwaukie, OR

I have been working at Convergence Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a lot of smart people here and they are dedicated to delivering GREAT customer service for everyone. Everyone genuinely cares about the clients.

Cons

The open office plan is abysmal. So much noise. Also, there is no emphasis put on training, so it can be hard for employees to get the time to learn our specific solutions. Not enough automation.

Convergence Networks2016-12-11