Conversant Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Conversant Chief Executive Officer Bryan Kennedy
Bryan Kennedy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work life balance - Unlimited PTO" (in 27 reviews)

• "Fun, intelligent, great people surrounding you everyday" (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • "Clear hierarchy within the company - sometimes can be intimidating to approach upper management" (in 27 reviews)

• "No work life balance whatsoever" (in 10 reviews)

"Sr. Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Conversant full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very positive working environment and culture. Makes you do your best and work towards their slogan of "1% better every day".

Cons

Personnel hire/fire/exits are not communicated like they used to be from 2012 through 2016. Now one has to resort to the "grape-vine" sources.

Advice to Management

While there is formal top-down communication, encourage cross-team communication culture - to prevent teams from gravitating towards working in their own silos.

2. "Great work environment with a few needed changes"

Former Employee - Media Delivery Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Media Delivery Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Conversant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people. Conversant does a great job of hiring competent people who, for the most part, are enjoyable to work with. All of the teams that I worked with were fantastic and the general sense that I got was most everyone enjoyed working with one another.
    The work/life balance is also great at Conversant, but at certain times of the year you can feel bored which is always something to consider. Conversant also takes care of the employees with what I consider to be a very fair benefits package that includes unlimited PTO! In addition to benefits they also have a summer and winter company party which are always high points in the year.

Cons

Conversant gives promotions and raises during what they call "cycles". The problem with this is it tends to breed a culture of incompetence where if you stay long enough you'll get promoted. This is not true in every case, but there are instances of it.
    The promotion cycles also leads to Conversant losing their best talent because when someone gets passed over for a promotion they know exactly how long they have to wait to be eligible again.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the promotion periods. You will continue to lose talent as long as your giving promotions and raises in cycles.

3. "Do we even know how to get there?"

Current Employee - Data Scientist Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Conversant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable, public company that a lot of people hide in for how easy and little the work is.

Cons

Too heavy at every executive and VP level. No information passed down from upper management. Silos everywhere causing duplicate work to be wasted. No internal promotions or opportunities to transfer teams. No training or onboarding. Manager doesn’t even do performance reviews or one-on-ones. You just get emailed a 5 word summary of how you did lol. Technology is out of date and over reliance on tech written by engineers now in management even if it’s crappy code.

Advice to Management

Split the company up!

4. "Business Apprentice"

I have been working at Conversant full-time

Pros

Unlimited time off and it's paid. you can take about 3 weeks realistically

Cons

hard to get ramped up in the job, there is a lot of training

"Senior Data Scientist"

Pros

Pros

This is a great place for your first Job in Chicago area. The people are nice and smart.
    Work life balance is very good, free breakfast every Friday.

Cons

The personal growth will be slow. An inconsistent direct manager will make you uncomfortable and less productive. Very often, you work on your manager's task that was actually assigned to her without any credit.

Advice to Management

As a manager, please be consistent on your team member's task and your own task, care about team member's individual growth.

6. "Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at Conversant full-time

Pros

Fun, intelligent, great people surrounding you everyday!
    It has the buzz and energy of a startup with the resources of a very well established organization.

Cons

There are definitely some corporate policies in place that can make life difficult.

7. "Client Development"

I worked at Conversant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment

Smart people

Challenging work

Great solution

Cons

Poor people management

Lack of emotional intelligence from management

Advice to Management

Even in sales, managers need to be able to manage people and there are just too many mid-level managers who have no idea how to manage people.

"Data Warehouse Developer"

I have been working at Conversant full-time

Pros

Rock solid team dynamic without the onerous "2nd family" cultural immersion; supportive colleagues & management; running very strong on new product starts; excellent project managers .

Cons

Marketing delivery is not very inspiring work. The place is slowly devolving into a preschool of apprentices and new grads.

Advice to Management

Assert your independence from Epsilon. They will poison you slowly if you let them.

9. "One of the Best Companies I've Worked At!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Conversant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is hands-down of the best companies I’ve worked at since starting my career over 12 years ago. The people and atmosphere here are very welcoming and warm. It’s amazing to be surrounded by so many bright and talented individuals who are driven in many different ways every single day. Conversant has a great culture of giving back, celebrating wins and recognizing those that have gone above and beyond in their roles. Not only do I feel valued as an individual here, but I feel the work that I produced is valued and multiple levels.

Cons

There is very little that I see as a negative here. There are obstacles that you have to overcome at any organization and found that most of the challenges I’ve faced here have been accomplished with few headaches along the way.

Advice to Management

Keep listing to your associates and their ideas.

10. "Work"

I have been working at Conversant full-time

Pros

The best thing about CNVR is that they are willing to train you on new hard skills. There are people who will take the time out of their day to share new languages or best practices.

Cons

The grind can be rough but that wasn't what bothers me. I've had request to work way late into the night, and over the weekend. I get calls on Saturdays and Sunday nights. Once in a while, 3am before I need to come in. I've been told that I need to prioritize work before family. This really depends on who you report up to in the corporate chain.

Advice to Management

Management is really focused on branding the "large start up" mentality. What that tells everyone is you want long hours, and offer low pay.