Cook Children's Health Care System Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Rick W. Merrill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The people in this organization are what make it a truly great place to work (in 9 reviews)

• CCHCS has good benefits and competitive salary (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • On the non-clinical side of operations there is not much room for advancement (in 3 reviews)

• High turnover due to below market pay and lack of support from upper management (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Awesome place to work"

Former Employee - Unit Secretary in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Cook Children's Health Care System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As a former empl's oyee I have nothing negative to say. No place is perfect, but this place is .

Cons

Health benefits are expensive but good. If your child is admitted to Cook Childrens hospital it is paid for 100%

Cook Children's Health Care System Response

Apr 29, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Partner

Thank you for the feedback! We hope that you will consider coming back to Cook Children's, in the future.

"Cook Children's Medical Center, the best working environment in the healthcare industry."

Current Employee - ACT - Paramedic in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - ACT - Paramedic in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Cook Children's is an excellent place to work. One of the best reasons I enjoy being employed by CCMC is the comraderie among employees. I work in the ED, so it may be different on other floors, but the staff in our unit gets along extremely well. I can not think of one person I do not enjoy working with, and I have never been able to say that about any job I have ever had. Upper level management is visible and accessible, however not to the point of smothering the employee, or appearing to "watch over one's shoulder." Typically no more than about ten days pass between when someone from administration will ask me if I have all of the resources I need to do my job, if there are any process improvements I think could be made. The final question they always ask is how I am PERSONALLY doing. That is a pretty impressive and important question in my opinion, and one that is rarely asked by the administration in other healthcare facilities I have worked at. Being that we see a fair amount of sad cases come through the ED, not all of which have a positive outcome, it is easy to get beaten down sometimes. It is nice to know management and administration care. I have also see many of the suggestions that have been given to management put into action, so it makes the staff feel good that they are not only being heard, but actually being "listened" too. The hospital also gives out gifts almost every quarter for nurses appreciation week, staff birthdays etc. Last year all full time staff got a $500.00 Wal Mart gift card, and part timers got a $250.00 card. The cards were given for no reason other than that the administration really appreciated our hard work and dedication, it was as simple as that. I thought that was really amazing.

The administration has a "blameless" environment attitude towards near misses and other occurrences. This means that unless you were grossly negligent, the hospital will try to fix the reason that the mistake was made, not necessarily punish the person that made it. It also encourages staff to speak up about near misses so process improvements can be made and implemented.

It is easy to find cliquish groups, especially in the healthcare setting. This is not the case at CCMC. Everyone works together and management promotes a "It's all about the kids" approach to patient centered care and environment. This goes a long way to keep the staff "job focused" and conflict free.

Cons

The only downside as of late has been staffing shortages. This is not problem specific to this hospital either, it is nationwide. Management has been trying very creative ways to recruit new staff and retain them, so it is clear that they see the problem and are responding to it. The issue isn't retention so much, but it is the fact that the hospital is growing to keep pace with the size of the community, and they can't seem to find staff fast enough to keep pace. It has been getting better however, and they are still working on the permanent solution.

Advice to Management

I don't have a lot of feedback for the administration. This may be primarily because once every ten or so days I have a chance to give it directly to administration when they round in our unit. All of the main issues that are present have been recognized by the management and administration and are being actively worked on. My primary feedback would most likely be "Thank you."

3. "Good place to work."

Current Employee - Medical Techhnologist in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Medical Techhnologist in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Good employee morale, management cares about the employees. Has work functions like picnics and barbeques. Has given out Wal-Mart gift cards at Christmas the las few years.

Cons

Currently the hospital is under construction. Parking is limited. Not all employees get parking garage access. Not very many security officers

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and take their advice on improvements to the hospital. Keep giving out those wal mart gift cards!

4. "Very professional place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

great work environment, very friendly staff, very giving, understanding, determined, hard working, caring, flexible, lots of support, good benefits, employee recognition

Cons

depending on your manager trying to get some time off is hard and an extreamly big deal, but again its just depending on the manager

Advice to Management

sometimes certain managers listen only to other managers or higher up people and dont even bother with getiing input from employees

5. "loved this company"

Former Employee - Nicu Secretary in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Nicu Secretary in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Cook Children's Health Care System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They cared about thier employees,

Cons

i don't really have any cons

6. "This was one of the best organizations I have ever worked for."

Current Employee - Rehabilitation Technician in Hurst, TX
    Current Employee - Rehabilitation Technician in Hurst, TX

I have been working at Cook Children's Health Care System part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was a very team-oriented environment. I never felt like a "second class citizen" to the therapists. They all treated me with respect. It's definitely a place you have to earn that respect by working hard.

Cons

I cannot think of any.

"Great company with a mission to help children."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Cook Children's Health Care System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company with a mission to help children, good compensation and benefits, senior management listens to employees, great people.

Cons

Short staffed in our area resulting in too much work for too few people. Puts stress on existing employees.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees. Consider hiring from within for senior-level positions.

"Friendly people, adorable patients, and rewarding work environment."

Former Employee - Unit Secretary in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Cook Children's Health Care System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This hospital system values their employees which creates positive morale and a team driven environment. Having a distinguished reputation for extraordinary care and patient outcomes, Cook Children's employees are genuinely proud to work here. Self scheduling (in many areas, though not all) is a big plus. My family relocated to another state. I very much miss this hospital.

Cons

Hourly pay was competitive, although shift differential for non-clinical staff was very low. I was willing to overlook this, however, because I loved my job.

9. "Working at Cook Children's is a privilege!"

Current Employee - Nurse Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Nurse Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Cook Children's Health Care System full-time

Pros

Customer service oriented
    Wonderful pediatric facility
    Physicians are excellent
    Forward thinking organization

Cons

No EMR for Perioperative/Anesthesia Services

Advice to Management

Life will be awesome when EMR available for Perioperative Services- Anesthesa where we will optimize collaboration, communication, efficiency, and patient safety.

"Amazing Organization"

Pros

Cook Children's is truly an amazing place to work. They have great benefits, employee perks, and wellness programs. The Cook Children's University Course offerings are also a plus. This organization is always looking to improve. There have been many positive changes to Cook Children's in terms of growth and expansion that are truly exciting. I wish we were more well known nationally because we definitely compare to other top ranked Children's Hospitals in the nation.

Cons

Politics, market assessments of salaries, lack of budget for all levels of staff to go to conferences and other off site educational offerings