Cooley Reviews | Glassdoor

Cooley Reviews

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joe Conroy

Pros
  • Great work environment, Great benefits, positive atmosphere for a law firm, casual environment, Good people (in 4 reviews)

• Great work life balance at cooley (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Heavy workload; difficult to achieve work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• as a law firm - poor work-life balance, high stress environment, poor paralegal management (in 7 reviews)

"standard BigLaw jerks, but won't admit it"

Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Cooley full-time

Pros

BigLaw salary. Did not have to share an office. Administrative staff is treated very well.

Cons

It may have been a collegial place to work at one time. The focus on moving up the rankings has killed that.

The firm touts its rankings as a great place to work. First, several of those rankings require an initial payment to be considered. Second, the firm treats its administrative staff very well, and the staff boost the rankings; associates' experience is quite different from staff's. And third, the firm has no tolerance for any sort of "life interference;" I spoke to associates who took time off for illness, parental leave, or disability and had their bonuses reduced.

Associates are expendable cogs in the profit-generating wheel. So long as associates bill, the firm does not care if they are mistreated, disconnected, or they burn out. Associates constantly try to one-up each other, so there is much stealing of credit and throwing under the bus.

The firm will take any opportunity to cheat associates out of their bonus, to the extent of punishing those juniors who get a bad review from impossible-to-please managers. I got stuck working for a manager who literally refused to work with anyone else. Even though no one else was good enough to work with that manager, I was still penalized with a substantial bonus reduction when the manager bashed me in reviews (then turned around and added me to a new matter).

Partners have no interest in training associates, and no patience when associates do not instantly and magically know everything. Because Cooley markets itself as a cost-effective firm, matters are often staffed too leanly for there to be a senior- or mid-level associate to whom the junior can turn for guidance. I had matters that were staffed only by a partner and me, yet the partner still refused to answer strategy questions. (I was not stupid enough to ask a partner questions about substantive law I could research myself; I asked about the direction I should take for the client.) This was in my first year, when I had never handled any similar task. I only had 1-2 questions per week...and the partner still refused to answer them.

In short, it's like any other BigLaw firm. The difference is that Cooley won't admit it.

Advice to Management

Treat your associates like people. If you learned a little about their lives, said thank you once in a while, and tried to develop them into better lawyers, associates might actually stick around.

"Awful sweatshop"

Current Employee - Associate (Litigation) in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Associate (Litigation) in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Cooley full-time

Pros

The pay is decent, like most biglaw firms. If you want to sell your soul, Cooley is a perfect fit.

Cons

Backstabbing politics. That sums up a lot of the office environment.

Advice to Management

Remember - associates are people too. Please treat us like such.

"If You're Not a Partner -- Don't Work Here"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Cooley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary; they will just about hire anyone

Cons

No advancement; in order to work on the better matters, you need to really kiss up to the senior partners. The associates and non-exempt staff are treatly horribly. The firm is so cheap that you can't get a writing tablet or a box of pens to work with. However, the partners line their pockets with gold.

Advice to Management

Spread the wealth around and stop lining your pockets with gold. Gross misappropriate of funds in this firm.

"Miserable and corrupt firm don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Perm Staff Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Perm Staff Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Cooley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers - salary is better because they pay more in trying to get people to stay

Cons

Management discriminates against their employees; no advancement

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach and do not discriminate against employees. The firm offers no real advancement and if an employee makes any complaint, they will find themselves out the door - this firm discriminates against its employees as well. You would think being a law firm that they would follow the law and be more ethical but they are not. They are arrogant to the point that they believe they are above the law.

"Crazies, Cliques, and Kissing Ass"

Former Employee - Paralegal in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Reston, VA

Pros

The best reasons to work for these weirdos are the location and salary.

Cons

If you want to take a trip back to high school and deal with cliques and kissing ass then this place is for you. The people are absolutely crazy. I've never worked somewhere like that before. I would avoid it at all costs.

Advice to Management

I would say something but my mom always told me not to say anything if you can't say something nice.

"Great place to work if you don't plan on using your skills."

Current Employee - Paralegal
    Current Employee - Paralegal

Pros

Mostly friendly people. Good work location.

Cons

No career advancement. You spend all day everyday doing menial work. No sense in going to college to work here. Management only cares about attorneys.

Advice to Management

Utilize your paralegal's skills or continue to lose good people.