Cooley Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joe Conroy

Pros
  • Great benefits and vacation policy even for new people, great work life balance and people are very reasonable to easy to work with (in 4 reviews)

• Cooley provides great benefits, a friendly environment, a large organized support system, and they also encourage you to live a healthy lifestyle (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Heavy workload; difficult to achieve work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• as a law firm - poor work-life balance, high stress environment, poor paralegal management (in 7 reviews)

1. "Director IT Infrastructure"

I have been working at Cooley full-time

Pros

Great place to work period.

Cons

None None None None None.

2. "Decent place to work"

Current Employee - Patent Agent in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Patent Agent in Boston, MA

Pros

The work is engaging, and the attorneys and staff are generally pleasant to work with and show an interest in training inexperienced patent practitioners. The attorneys I work with are respectful of my opinion, and place significant trust and responsibility on me.

Cons

The hours are absolutely brutal, there is way too much work to go around, and compensation is somewhat below market in Boston. There has been some turnover in the practice which has contributed to the ever-increasing workload.

Advice to Management

Hire more junior-level people for the patent practice, and raise salaries to stay competitive with the market.

"associate"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Cooley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart people. Strong team collaboration across different offices.

Cons

Some partners are extremely difficult to work with. Rigid policy committee.

"Great firm, great clients, some leadership and management challenges"

I worked at Cooley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great clients (particularly in Silicon Valley), great case experience. Lawyers were generally very bright and hardworking. Some major stand-out partners providing good mentorship and feedback. As good as any Biglaw firm to get your chops out of law school.

Cons

With a few exceptions, partners in my department were not interested in developing associate talent. I witnessed many associates being driven out instead of being developed, and this occurred more often with the female associates. There is a "blue collared shirt/khaki" club that dominates several practice groups. Working hours were long, billable pressure significant, but that is to be expected of any Biglaw firm. There were several rounds of layoffs during my time - they called them "performance based" reductions - but everyone knew the truth.

"Decent company"

I have been working at Cooley full-time

Pros

Respectful coworkers, laid back vibe

Cons

Compensation not up to market standards

7. "Associate"

I have been working at Cooley full-time

Pros

Energetic partners and terrific clients

Cons

It's a big law firm.

"Good place, has some cultural issues"

I worked at Cooley full-time

Pros

Coworkers are smart, motivated, lots of different project options.

Cons

There is not a strong team- people do not work together to help each other succeed. Every man for himself. Several NY partners have changed the laid-back SF culture.

Advice to Management

More focus on team success and cohesiveness.

9. "Legal Secretary"

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Cooley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some wonderful people, even the attorneys! They encourage secretaries to attend quarterly meetings where the attorneys give presentations on some of the more important cases they are working on so that one feels more a part of the whole firm rather than just their own practice area.

Cons

Some management details are neglected leaving staff scrambling to organize themselves and provide some measure of consistency in their work.

"standard BigLaw jerks, but won't admit it"

Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Cooley full-time

Pros

BigLaw salary. Did not have to share an office. Administrative staff is treated very well.

Cons

It may have been a collegial place to work at one time. The focus on moving up the rankings has killed that.

The firm touts its rankings as a great place to work. First, several of those rankings require an initial payment to be considered. Second, the firm treats its administrative staff very well, and the staff boost the rankings; associates' experience is quite different from staff's. And third, the firm has no tolerance for any sort of "life interference;" I spoke to associates who took time off for illness, parental leave, or disability and had their bonuses reduced.

Associates are expendable cogs in the profit-generating wheel. So long as associates bill, the firm does not care if they are mistreated, disconnected, or they burn out. Associates constantly try to one-up each other, so there is much stealing of credit and throwing under the bus.

The firm will take any opportunity to cheat associates out of their bonus, to the extent of punishing those juniors who get a bad review from impossible-to-please managers. I got stuck working for a manager who literally refused to work with anyone else. Even though no one else was good enough to work with that manager, I was still penalized with a substantial bonus reduction when the manager bashed me in reviews (then turned around and added me to a new matter).

Partners have no interest in training associates, and no patience when associates do not instantly and magically know everything. Because Cooley markets itself as a cost-effective firm, matters are often staffed too leanly for there to be a senior- or mid-level associate to whom the junior can turn for guidance. I had matters that were staffed only by a partner and me, yet the partner still refused to answer strategy questions. (I was not stupid enough to ask a partner questions about substantive law I could research myself; I asked about the direction I should take for the client.) This was in my first year, when I had never handled any similar task. I only had 1-2 questions per week...and the partner still refused to answer them.

In short, it's like any other BigLaw firm. The difference is that Cooley won't admit it.

Advice to Management

Treat your associates like people. If you learned a little about their lives, said thank you once in a while, and tried to develop them into better lawyers, associates might actually stick around.

"Not worthy to be on the list of "Fortune's 100 Best Places to Work for""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Cooley (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. Monthly socials. Gym reimbursement. Start with twenty days off a year.

Cons

Favoritism. Communication is terrible. Dress attire is a double standard. Ladies cruise around (including the lobby and conference room area) in yoga pants and flip flops. I would like to wear basketball shorts a flip flops but know I can't. "Cooley Culture" is a thing of the past - was much better years ago.

Advice to Management

Communicate and take some accountability.