Cooper Concepts Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Apryl Christensen

"Great Entry Level Position"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Best experience for any girl or guy fresh out of school that wants to learn sales, management, training, development and leadership skills. Great environment to learn/practice soft skills like effective communication and time management.

Cons

Lack of life and work balance.

Advice to Management

Learned so much from this experience and Apryl's management. What is also unique about this opportunity is the access to upper management! Never did I not feel like I did not know where to go if I needed an answer.

Mar 3, 2016 – Human Resource Director

Hey there, This review is awesome and I am very appreciative of you sharing your feedback. Our Management Training Program is definitely great for recent grads and designed to develop ... More

"This company lies"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

None. I have never had a more miserable experience with a company. Do not apply unless you want to work for a manipulative company.

Cons

This company implies they are offering an internship in the first interview that will actually be paid. They then offer a second interview where they keep you hostage and drive you away from the company, admit this is a commission only position, and won't let you leave.

Advice to Management

Don't lie about the job description in your first interview and then keep people hostage all day when the job description shifts.

"Second interview was shadowing an employee as he went door to door. Not kidding."

I worked at Cooper Concepts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Currently I can not name any pros to this company. It is too small and too shady to be considered a legitimate place to work

Cons

The office is a dump. The ceiling was leaking. The company is a scam. Don't waste your time. I met the employer who was interviewing me with another potential employee. We drove 20 minutes to his property and he went door to door trying to sell. I felt embarrassed. Here I am dressed in a suit and tie getting rained on. Do not waste your time with this company.

Advice to Management

Start being honest with potential employees. They won't tell you what you're doing because they know no one will come. Please don't fall into this trap. You can find a much better company to invest yourself in.

"........"

Former Employee - Marketing Account Manager in Palos Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing Account Manager in Palos Heights, IL

I worked at Cooper Concepts (More than a year)

Pros

It was a fun/energetic working environment. Making sales a competitive atmosphere was essential to do well in this line of work.

Cons

Because it was a competitive atmosphere, there was certain egos that where inherent to the company that some may find incompatible based on your personality. If you weren't in their circle, this work wasn't for you.

Jan 27, 2016 – Human Resource Director

Dear Reviewer, Thank you so much for your feedback and insight! We definitely agree that there are certain personality types that do incredibly well in marketing & sales! We are glad that we had ... More

5. "Not a bad place to work"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

It is a place where you can gain a lot of good sales experience. Fun office environment. Advance very quickly. They want you to succeed.

Cons

Job is not for everyone. You are going to work very hard to succeed. Not your typical sales job. If you come from doing phone sales it's a different animal. Some days can be very hard.

Advice to Management

Keep making people feeling welcome. More office decor.

Mar 3, 2016 – Human Resource Director

Dear Reviewer, We appreciate your feedback, insight and honesty! You are absolutely correct in stating that this career is not for everyone and that it requires hard work and dedication to excel ... More

"SCAM!!!! BEWARE AND STAY AWAY"

I worked at Cooper Concepts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. This place is a complete scam and should be avoided at all cost. I don't know if they are writing reviews for themself or what, but this is a pyramid scheme and is bizarrely cult-like. They recruit like crazy because nobody will stay at a place that has you soliciting door to door, claiming that you are offering businesses a "company discount" to switch service providers, when in reality you are doing unsolicited sales, which, by the way, are ILLEGAL in most places! This place is a joke! Avoid at all cost!

Cons

I was hired under the impression that I was going to be doing inside business to business sales. WRONG!!!! I was hired to do canvassing. I was so embarrassed to have quit my job for this. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Advice to Management

You are scam artists and should be ashamed of yourselves.

Jan 13, 2016 – Human Resource Director

Dear Reviewer, As much as we normally thank individuals for their feedback and input, it seems as if your review isn't meant to be constructive or provide feedback whatsoever. In fact your review ... More

"This "company" is a complete joke and absolute waste of time. Stay away."

Former Employee - Sales/Marketing/Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales/Marketing/Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

Some of the people were nice. Unfortunately they, like many others, left the company.

Cons

After I had been hired, each and everyday I went to work there were 5 more people waiting to be interviewed. Every single day. People would start and quit within weeks. They are literally always hiring because so many people come and go. Here is probably why:

They do not tell you that this job is sales until after your first interview. They make it seem that you will be selling a high profile product to high profile businesses. What they don't tell you is that you will be wearing a high heels if you're a girl or a business suit each day if you're a guy, walking around outside in 90 degree weather, rain, or snow, and you will be going door to door trying to sell plans to small local businesses in low income neighborhoods all across the city. If you don't have a car, be ready to walk on your feet in dress shoes or heels for over 8 hours a day going from store to store. Some of the employees of the businesses you walk into may not even speak english. Some will have bullet proof glass between you and the employee while you try to communicate. Some of these businesses will threaten to call the police on you because you are soliciting. There were definitely times when I did not feel safe or comfortable in the areas that they had sent me to. All in all, the company tells you what you want to hear so that you will be sucked in and before you know it you will go some days literally making ZERO dollars. That's right. The entire job is 100% commission based. It's kind of hard to make any money when you're walking around low income neighborhoods trying to sell things to people who either don't have any money or can't even speak english. They teach you a system that essentially tells you to find out what these people's problems are, build off of that to trick them into buying your product. They say we're "helping" people. We're not even allowed to give these people our personal information so they can contact us if they have any questions. You literally walk into their store, trick them into buying what you're selling, and disappearing forever.

On top of all of this, whatever you do end up selling, the top dogs end up taking a percentage of it. So the harder you work, the more the guys sitting in the office make while you're on your feet from 6:00 AM until night time when you go home. And to keep you "motivated", every single morning you will hear stories about how much the CEO and top sellers make, and that the CEO played amateur hockey. It's really a great story. They also go as far as bashing people who go to school and end up finding careers after college. They make fun of that concept and path, and urge you that what they are doing is the best method and revolutionary. All in all this is not a classy company or a place I would ever recommend anyone beginning their career. The people are unprofessional. Their methods are skewed and extremely shady. They lie and tell you what you want to hear and will never promote you. If you're a pretty girl and love walking into 50 stores a day and can talk to people and would be contempt with working your tail off so others can reap the benefits, then this might be the job for you. If not, I strongly recommend staying away and not even considering it.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees on time. Stop lying and tricking people. You promise money, vacations and fun. You promise people they will open their own business and that they will become owners in 6 months or less. Every knows its a lie and you need to stop spewing that every day to people. It's clear that you can't keep your employees happy and that you trick people. Seriously get it together.

Jan 26, 2016 – Human Resource Director

Dear Reviewer, I am so sorry to hear about your negative perception of our company. I really wish you had been comfortable enough to express these feelings to me one on one so we could have ... More

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager, Marketing in Hammond, IN
    Former Employee - Account Manager, Marketing in Hammond, IN

I worked at Cooper Concepts (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting more experience in the sales field.

Cons

Apryl Christiansen is a huge phoney. I had 3 checks that would not clear from the companies account and bounced mine. They will tell you just about anything for the sake of their own gain... Shady Company.

Jan 9, 2016 – Human Resource Director

Dear Reviewer, Thank you for sharing the pro you listed about our company and I am very glad to hear that you were able to gain quality experience in sales during your time here. Just as you were ... More

"Company is great to work with-- if you're good at sales"

I worked at Cooper Concepts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly, helpful people who want to see and help you succeed. Motivating to start your day, you work mostly on your own, at your own pace. Lots of room to move up in company, all the way to the top where you manage your own branch.

Cons

100% commission. If you are not good at being a sales rep, this job is not going to work for you. Just be weary of this, as the job doesn't exactly tell you this when you're applying or going to interviews. They expect you to work on saturdays if you do not meet weekly quota, they expect you to put in long hours every day.

Advice to Management

Don't tell the employees that this is not a sales job, because it is completely sales until you move further up in the company.

Jan 8, 2016 – Human Resource Director

Dear Reviewer, Your review is great and very balanced. I appreciate that. Thank you for listing what I think is the best attribute of our company, the people! The opportunity for growth too is ... More

"Stellar place to fall into a lifetime groove!"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cooper Concepts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stellar resources. Amazing compensation and benefits. The hours can be long, but the emphasis on work life balance is part of the company culture. You get to work with some of the brightest, most innovative and hard-working/diligent minds in the industry.

Cons

If you're not in Mountain View, collaboration and visibility is a challenge.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting opportunity.

Jan 8, 2016 – Human Resource Director

Dear Reviewer, Your review is very kind and we are glad that you have enjoyed your time in our Management Training Program. I couldn't agree with you more...we are surrounded by some of the ... More