Cooper Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cooper Industries Chairman, President, and CEO Kirk S. Hachigian
Kirk S. Hachigian

Pros
  • Clean and safe work environment (in 16 reviews)

• Cooper was an awesome company with great leaders, a great culture and good benefits (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • They are being acquired by Eaton, so there is a little bit of uncertainty surrounding that transaction (in 4 reviews)

• High pressure to work long hours, and I always felt like management was walking around to make sure I was at my desk (in 5 reviews)

"SWEAT SHOP"

Current Employee - Machinist in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Machinist in Dayton, OH

Pros

The only thing worth while at cooper industries is that the 401k is descent.

Cons

Management runs company on a thread and no capital reinvestment to help with performance on the
    job. Employees are treated like the lower echelon in life. And the consistent revolving door of employees leaving the company.

Advice to Management

I think that cooper should have a team concept instead of kick the dog mentality.
    Then the efficiency and productivity would increase.

2. "HELL IS INSIDE COOPER BUSSMANN"

Current Employee - Customer Satisfaction Representative in Ellisville, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Satisfaction Representative in Ellisville, MO

Pros

If you have an MBA and are from Cooper Corporate in Houston, you're golden.

Cons

Salary below par. Medical benifits nearly non existant unless at the corporate level. Salary increases past three years, for a good, dedicated, 'never miss work' employee, who receives excellent yearly reviews, - 3%.
    Our present president is personally insulting. Makes no effort to know who works for him. No acknowledgement when passing in the hall. Walks in a door in front of others and lets the door slam in their face.

Advice to Management

Emails on your latest accomplishment or accolade matter not to me.
    Quarterly, videotaped "lets go get em" communication meetings take me away from my desk and my customers for an hour or more, as do the weekly brainstorming sessions. Send me an e-mail, I'll brainstorm and get back to you. Changes in procedure can be emailed to me. We don't need twice weekly meetings on change. Send me an update.
    My customers and reps resent their calls and emails not being answered in a timely manner.
    New landscaping, new furniture, new restrooms, new video equipment..wow! But when it rains, there are buckets, waste baskets, etc., catching the water coming down on our work areas!...might want to look into that.
    I've worked here for many years and have never seen morale so low.

"Unhealthy place to work under any circumstances."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ellisville, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ellisville, MO

Pros

Live within a mile...otherwise, don't waste your gas.

Cons

Freeze pensions. (notified by email)
    Termination of matching funds to 401K accts. (Again, by email)
    Many layers of useless management. New titles created for management while hourly workers are screwed, overworked and fired to save management bonus.
    Hourly workers held accountable even when following direction of management.

Advice to Management

Feedback? Myself and hundreds of others have done that for years. Useless.

5. "Bussmann - from local caring company to corporate bully"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ellisville, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ellisville, MO

Pros

It's a job.
    The location is convenient.
    Knowing that you are helping provide a needed commodity to companies throughout the U.S.

Cons

Management does not care about their employees. An incredible number of good employees are being fired without reason. Morale is horrible. The current president openly pushes LCC (low-cost country) employment rather than keeping current employees that have experience and a good knowledge base.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees!!! Quit treating them like disposable goods. Take advantage of and appreciate the vast amount of knowledge available in your experienced employees rather than firing them to hire cheap labor and temps.

"Move onto another "opportunity""

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tualatin, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tualatin, OR

Pros

The team members are some of the highest quality of people you will likely ever work with. They are very professional and courteous.

Cons

Management team is largely crippled and handcuffed. No real support is granted to average employees who are asked to work very long hours for less than standard pay. Too much politics and not enough concern over culture creates an atmosphere of fear and intimidation. HR is deeply embedded in the Corporate mentality and has little to no concern over the average employee's feelings. This is a threatening environment where no one is rewarded for calling attention to obvious systematic problems. Former members of management who resisted the new corporate mentality were eliminated.

Advice to Management

Take a serious deep look at the culture that has been created (destroyed) over the last two years. Employees perform best when they wake up in the morning and want to come to work. Foster a team spirit by actually listening to employees, allowing them to make mistakes and learn from them and supporting family life. Dump the ridiculous performance review process and simplify it. Stop focusing on operations and remember who the customers are.

"Do Not work at Cooper/Sure Power Industries"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Tualatin, OR
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Tualatin, OR

Pros

A job but nothing more.

Cons

The worst management ever, they cannot be trusted. If you try to excel you will be fired managed like the Soviet military.

Advice to Management

Retire so the people at Cooper Bussman Transportation/Sure Power can actual do a good job.

"Terrible experience."

Current Employee - Operations/Support/Lean in La Grange, NC
    Current Employee - Operations/Support/Lean in La Grange, NC

Pros

Learn how to grind a business and people for the highest profits.

Cons

No acknowledgement for a job well done. Nothing is ever good enough. Morale is as low as I have ever seen a company be. Everything is falling apart. Every nickle spent has to be justified for immediate payback or it is no.

Advice to Management

Think beyond the quarter. Invest in the business and in the people. Try to build a team.

9. "Decent salary and benefits, but the culture is absolutely awful and Cooper is a miserable place to work."

Former Employee - Analyst in Peachtree City, GA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Peachtree City, GA

Pros

To Cooper's credit, they give decent introductory salaries and OK benefits. The on-campus cafeteria is convenient and the good is pretty good.

Cons

-The bad part about compensation? Management rarely ever gives performance-based raises without a promotion, so you're stuck with you're COLA (or often-times less) raise until you're able to get to the next rung of the ladder. Also, no year-end bonus unless you're a director, which is the third level up; no matter how much money you make for Cooper, you'll never see a dime of it. As an aside, I didn't leave because I thought I was due a promotion, so I consider myself a relatively unbiased source.
    -For those of you who look at my first point and say "just do well and you'll get rewarded", I'll point out that Cooper is the most political office environment I've ever encountered. Promotions are almost never given to the right person, which helps foster a really divisive work atmosphere. No one wants to work for a boss whom everyone agrees isn't qualified, and this is a common occurrence at Cooper.
    -This leads to incredibly low morale. It's hard to accurately describe the atmosphere at Cooper to someone who's never experienced it first hand. From the moment you walk into the cube farm, you get a sense of gloom that's tough to articulate. When you see employees walking around, you can tell that their only thought is "please let 5 o'clock get here soon." Higher-ups reinforce the negativity, and you'll often hear them say things like "It's just lights" and "It's not like this is Wall Street or anything."
    -There are so many redundant jobs it's laughable. Cooper could probably cut its workforce by 30-50% and see no decline in production. The amount of time people spend sitting around doing absolutely nothing is absurd.
    -Vacation time sucks. 8 days? Give me a break.
    -The average employee is quite unhealthy. I know this is a strange gripe, but it's true. A significant portion of employees are flat-out obese.
    -Communication up and down the chain of command is awful. I've seen several instances where a manager has been promoted and his underlings go without a boss for MONTHS at a time. Indefensible practice from the directors and VP's.
    -Most employees are 40-50 or older.

Advice to Management

Where do I begin? Management, if you want your employees to take pride in their work, you need to do the same. Try giving promotions to people who actually deserve them instead of to those who have been at Cooper the longest. Streamline your operations and eliminate the redundant positions. COMMUNICATE.

"Not recommended, highly unstable company with no future vision"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

High learning Curve, nice office location and decent pay.

Cons

Pathetic senior management, no technical knowledge/insights from management, you are expected to know more within first few days of joining , compared to everyone who has been in the company for 10 yrs!

They hire people and fire whole teams after 3 months, saying that leadership has decided to move the entire team away from this location...is that a sick joke or HR has too much free time in conducting interviews for candidates, as they know that everyone just wants to leave the company soon?

In one word, run away, and join if you have no other option, as they will make you work like machines, pay like clerks and managers don't care about you, your life or shows any kind of respect.

11. "Change Needed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pewaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pewaukee, WI

Pros

Job pays the bills good place to work if you like overtime.

Cons

Poor Management. There are too many managers. The titles of the elite differ but they all do the same thing absolutely nothing. The engineers all hide upstairs in their offices and appear busy when visitors are in the plant. The communication is poor and all new hires are treated like scum.

Advice to Management

Send someone from coorporate on a suprise visit to clean house before we lose our jobs to China please!!!!!