Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Tim McEnery

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The food and wine are fantastic (in 11 reviews)

• All the way up to the Executives, this company truly cares about people and making our jobs something we look forward to each day (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Wine Club Membership cancels out if you become an employee here, but the benefits are worth it (in 12 reviews)

• Serious lack of communication between managers greatly affects employees and their interaction with guests (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Money, Horrible management and hours"

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Money, benefits, growth, and amazing wine

Cons

Long hours and horrible management

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better

Dec 11, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for leaving us a review! We appreciate the feedback and will continue to make sure we are improving each day.

2. "Server"

Current Employee - Server in Burr Ridge, IL
    Current Employee - Server in Burr Ridge, IL

I have been working at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules can work around School/Career/Family life. Great earning potential if put enough hours. If you have a career and attend school this is a great second job to have.

Cons

Very fast paced and overwhelming most of the time. Have to manage time efficiently and be very proactive. Have to work evenings and weekends plus holidays. Morning shifts are minimal earning potential.

Advice to Management

Remember Tim Mchenry"s founding mission statement of the company family values should be exercised to every employee. With its great nationwide expansion and select General Managers promotions it seems the company culture is about the bottom line and affording the yearly Managers vacation as apposed to creating a thriving family culture that can benefit everyone including the bottom line.

Dec 11, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for the review and your hard work! We appreciate the feedback and if you ever have any ideas as to how we could improve please let us know at suggestions@chwinery.com.

3. "Project Manager"

I have been working at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants full-time

Pros

Great working environment, wonderful and supportive leadership team with focus on growth and development.

Cons

Not really a con, but enhancement to benefit options that we can choose from through out the year or during Open enrollment.

Dec 11, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for the review! We are so glad to have you on our team.

4. "Okay at First"

Pros

Money to be made even though it will be slow at first, friendly staff.

Cons

Management doesn't care about employees, extremely unprofessional and too buddy buddy with one another, and they micro manage to the point where it is unnecessary and they automatically assume that you can't do your job.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees right, they're what keep your restaurant running.

5. "Restaurant Manager"

I have been working at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants full-time

Pros

The company has dedicated leadership, and its core values are alive and well. The food is excellent, as is the competitive pay. There is a lot of opportunity as the company continues to grow rapidly. There are great benefits/perks for salaried management, and the work-life balance is better than most restaurants.

Cons

Some of the applications used seem outdated/not the most efficient.

Advice to Management

Continue sticking to the Core Values that made the company so successful in the beginning.

Nov 29, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for giving us a review!

6. "Awesome company and concept w/ great people!"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Countryside, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Countryside, IL

I have been working at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- benefits are fantastic (awesome discounts in restaurant and on wine bottles)
    - the people genuinely care (all levels of the RSC, team members prioritize development and learning)
    - highly involved CEO in Tim McEnery (remembers you by name, amazing person)
    - fun-loving environment (work hard play hard, it IS a winery after all)
    - high levels of growth (several see promotions within 1-2 years)

Cons

- location (suburb life not the easiest to get used to if you're not from the area)
    - long interview process (due to selecting the right people to join the RSC, so be prepared)
    - growing pains (job security, but can get really busy depending on department)
    - restaurant industry requires some weekend reporting

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing!

Nov 29, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for the kind review!

7. "Mountain of potential - A houseworker's POV"

Former Employee - Houseworker in Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - Houseworker in Springfield, IL

I worked at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive starting pay rate.
    Guests are generally friendly and considerate
    Transfers to other stores are common

Cons

Management consistently leaves store understaffed, overbooked, and ill prepared for the night.
    Upwards mobility is limited, with opportunities few and far between.
    Management allows mold and various other unsafe fungi to flourish around drains and other behind the scenes area.
    Co-worker personal hygiene is minimal, with multiple workers having to be informed about the most basic of health standards.
    Management would allow staff to come in late, if at all, without repercussion or alternative staffing options.
    Management would modify and change schedule without discussing/informing staff of schedule changes
    Frequently schedule issues, with extra staff members of the same position one day, and no staff scheduled for the next

Advice to Management

Set realistic limits when seating guests. Value your staff more. Acquiring a better sense of dedication to the work outside of the workplace would be a good start

Dec 11, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for leaving us your review and feedback. In the event that you feel comfortable providing more specific information, please reach out directly to our HR Manager, Laura Clark, via email at... More

8. "WOW! This is a great company"

Current Employee - Kit in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Kit in Annapolis, MD

Pros

A growing company with a lot of opportunity for growth. Cooper's Hawk takes the time to train the management staff and uses great inventive systems that allow managers to manage the family of staff. Everyone is so positive and encourages the team to grow. The food and wine are fantastic.

Cons

I haven't had a negative moment yet.

Nov 29, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for leaving us a review!

9. "Anonymous Waiter Review - Overworked/Underpaid"

I worked at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants part-time

Pros

Has great employee benefits. You get discounted wine, 50% off food even when you are not working, and overall a cool place to work. You learn a lot about styles of wine, etc which is fun. Good room for advancement

Cons

The servers do a lot of work for not that great of tips. Management has pretty high expectations. I made more money working at sports bars.

Advice to Management

Additional house staff to assist servers. Encourage servers to tip out house staff if needed.

10. "Kitchen Manager"

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Columbus, OH

Pros

As I start my career with Coopers, it has been very positive and it has lived up to what I expected. As one of the values of caring about people, it has been proven over and over again as I work each day. Enjoy being part of the company.

Cons

I have not come across any Con's with the company. I have experienced nothing but warm welcome and professionalism with Coopers

Advice to Management

Continue to be up front like you were with me during the interview process. This way there is no surprises. From day one it has been great and no hidden surprises which is great. Keep it up

Dec 13, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for leaving us a review! We're happy to have you on our team!