Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim McEnery

Pros
  • The training prepares you to be knowledgable about the food and wine (in 8 reviews)

• Great people, great food, great incentives (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • I feel that management over the years has gotten very pushy about the wine club at a location that is almost over-saturated (in 8 reviews)

• stressful job, long hours, lack of management (in 6 reviews)

1. "Fantastic place to work at!"

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture, values, growth and fun!

Cons

There's nothing bad about this company!

"Professional, well run restaurant with great food, pleasant guests, great tips."

Current Employee - Server in Orland Park, IL
    Current Employee - Server in Orland Park, IL

Pros

Great tips, professional helpful managers, wonderful employee perks. The food is fantastic and benefits sell themselves. 50% off food and 40% off wine.

Cons

A lot of side work, long hours after close, no trays. Style of restaurant prompts people to sit for a long time so you won't turn tables fast but bills are typically high enough to compensate.

3. "Booming company that cares about people and promoting from within"

Pros

Fun work environment, team approach, great food, tons of room for advancement and relocation, hands on training and a great CEO. They truly want you to enjoy your job. They also put out a yearly survey to find out what we are doing well on and where we can improve. Things like the survey make me feel like they truly care. When they see a chance to improve, they take it.

Cons

The company is growing at a fast rate. I just hope to remain a privately held organization and stick to our values and caring about people, more than the bottom line.

Advice to Management

I think the ethics hotline is a great addition because people need a chance to be heard anonymously.

5. "Great Restaurant to Work For"

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great management team! They are a growing company and they love to promote from within. Earn extra money and prizes by selling Wine Clubs.

Cons

There are very few downsides to working here outside of the downsides that are involved in any other restaurant job.

"Best serving job"

Current Employee - Server in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Server in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is all around a fantastic place to work for. The management is professional, friendly, and helpful. The training prepares you to be knowledgable about the food and wine. The food and ambiance here are spectacular, thus making serving that much easier. There are incentives and contests for selling wine club memberships to make extra money and tips are typically generous too.

Cons

There are downsides to working in food service anywhere, but I honestly cannot say anything in particular that I dislike about working here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Continue to communicate clearly, be involved, and genuinely nice to employees, and I'm sure business will continue to thrive!

7. "We're all Team member's at Cooper's Hawk"

Current Employee - Tasting Room Attendant in Town and Country, MO
    Current Employee - Tasting Room Attendant in Town and Country, MO

Pros

Great environment, usually everyone they hire is upbeat and positive. They're good teammates. The discounts on wine and food are quite generous. Management is kind and forgiving.

Cons

Hours, you're not really guaranteed to get off when you're supposed to. Sometimes there is miscommunication between corporate and the restaurant which causes blowback for the employees.

Advice to Management

Listen more to what the front line is telling you. When they say there's too much of this, or they aren't getting enough of that, then they probably know what they are talking about.

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Orland Park, IL

I worked at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits! This is a wonderful place to work. The ownership and upper management truly care about their employees and fellow team members.

Cons

There are not always openings in the areas where you live and they will spread you out over the Chicagoland area. Also advancement is slow due to all of the excellent managers already working there. They cut the wine training program.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job and learn about the wine as much as possible. You will be rewarded in the end with the position and location you desire.

9. "Sales"

Pros

Working for this company is Great

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about this company

10. "Server"

Current Employee - Server in Fishers, IN
    Current Employee - Server in Fishers, IN

I have been working at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants (More than a year)

Pros

Great company! I've been with the company for almost 3 years. I left for roughly 6 months and came back because i missed the people!

Cons

Cannot think of any cons

Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants Response

Apr 18, 2016 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback! We care about your experience at Cooper’s Hawk and we will use your feedback to shape the future of Cooper’s Hawk. Have any other ... More

11. "General Manager"

I have been working at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture is outstanding along with great scratch food, a good foundation of managers, service expectations is real, and wine is really cool and different

Cons

It is a restaurant industry job, so it has it challenges. They work really hard to make sure your life balance is important.

Advice to Management

Keep looking for ways to improve the benefits for the managers and team members. Figure out how to make CH different from that standpoint.

Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants Response