Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Tim McEnery

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It is a cool place to say that you work at, benefits with food and wine, friendly staff (in 10 reviews)

• The discounts on wine and food are quite generous (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Wine Club Membership cancels out if you become an employee here, but the benefits are worth it (in 11 reviews)

• Long hours, busy dinner services (in 7 reviews)

1. "Best company"

Current Employee - Server in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Server in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling. Community/family setting. Great opportunities

Cons

Long hours, very fast paced location

Advice to Management

Keep up the values, positive constructive criticism,

2. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Bartender in Coconut Creek, FL
    Current Employee - Bartender in Coconut Creek, FL

I have been working at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits such as discounts on food and drinks, bottles of wine, health benefits, bonuses, prizes, and promotions.

Cons

Communication to the staff could be better, as well as communication between managers.

Oct 19, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for leaving a review! We are continuing to work on communication to all teams and it is a top priority for us to keep up with sending out current information to everyone.

3. "Server"

Current Employee - Server in Oak Lawn, AL
    Current Employee - Server in Oak Lawn, AL

I have been working at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I don't give up, I work hard and my main pro is i respect people . In order to be someone of power you need to respect people

Cons

If I could answer this properly I would but it's hard. Everything I've learned in this business I did it on my own with experience starting from the bottom

Advice to Management

Don't judge by the cover judge by the potential. By the experience and knowledge you can see . I set standards high so I never let no one down

Oct 19, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for the review, we hope you continue to grow your career with us!

4. "Creating Community"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Countryside, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Countryside, IL

I have been working at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cooper's Hawk values are extremely important to this company. It's not something they hang up on a poster and forget about - every decision the CEO and below makes has to do with these values. Most notably - Creating Community. Every chance we get, we're coming together to celebrate something, recognize someone, or just to spend quality time with one another. At Cooper's Hawk, I'm not just an employee - I feel like I'm part of a family.

Cons

At time we get busy and I feel the pressure, but the hard work is worth the reward of working here.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees' wants and needs. Your employees are your greatest asset!

Oct 12, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for the review!

5. "Outstanding employer. Opportunity to grow, teamwork, and positive values are all in the atmosphere daily."

Current Employee - Host in Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Host in Arlington Heights, IL

Pros

Great food. Great wine. Employee benefits. Company growth for future. Great people. Great management. Having been in hospitality in the recent years, I have learned a lot for myself in a short time, and having applied here, I didn’t know what I was getting myself into, the company, the people, the atmosphere, and the values of the company all truly amazed me and I learned so much. This company values its employees and it shows. The training for various positions and constant expansion of knowledge on the job is what makes this job more than just a job. Though it’s a small chain, you just never know who you will run into here. I had the honor of meeting a few local socialites as well as individuals who are in the high rankings in hospitality management. It’s truly an incredible place to work at.

Cons

Busy place. Things get tough under pressure. Wine Club Membership cancels out if you become an employee here, but the benefits are worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good job and continue listening to your employees and they will listen to you.

Oct 12, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for the review! We're so glad you see the opportunities with us and that you are part of the team.

6. "Portioner"

Former Employee - Portioner in Wheeling, IL
    Former Employee - Portioner in Wheeling, IL

I worked at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It’s closer to home.......that’s it!!

Cons

One thing I experienced while working there is that they’ll have you come in and put you where they think you’ll do great at. My resume said line cook and they put me as a portioner. Little do you know, the position you wanted is already taken. They’ll amp up the pay and get you excited to work there.

Advice to Management

Instead of checking the hotschedules app about the shift change, you should contact employees personally. And if you guys say you care about the employees actually mean it and stick by.

Oct 12, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

We're very sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your time with us. If you would like to talk about the specific items you mentioned please reach out directly to our HR Manager, Laura Clark, via email... More

7. "Advancement?"

I have been working at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants full-time

Pros

Benefits, discounts, community of team members

Cons

Over worked, underpaid, lack of advancement for some

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites. Don’t promise team members things you can’t deliver. Learn to communicate through all levels.

Oct 9, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for the review and insight! We're glad to see that you recommend us but we also want to be able to discuss what we can do on our part. If you feel comfortable, please reach out to our HR... More

8. "Decent company"

I worked at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants full-time

Pros

Food and wine is pretty good.

Cons

Hours of sidework after shift.

Advice to Management

Spread the work load.

Sep 25, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for the review! We'll continue to work on making sure responsibilities are evenly divided.

9. "Pays decent, culture is hard to adjust to, decent wine and great food"

Former Employee - TR Attendant in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - TR Attendant in Naperville, IL

I worked at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is potential to make tons of money, training was great and fun, some diamonds in the rough that work there.

Cons

Management will abuse your availability, cliquey culture, hypocritical, legalistic management.

Advice to Management

Does not drug test employees. I was not drug tested when hired. The location is absolutely rife with stoners. They often talk about drug use at work, buying drugs, etc. I honestly feel hat location should be dropped in on by undercover police. Culture is too tightly knit and not welcome to outsiders in terms of political or personal differences. Management is often hypocritical with various policies. Scheduling is a nightmare because of employees constantly calling off or releasing shifts.

Sep 25, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

We're glad that you had some positive experiences with us but also want to address some behaviors you mentioned that we do take very seriously. If you would like to talk about the specific items you... More

10. "server"

Current Employee - Server in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Server in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

team guests and pay

Cons

management lack of communication and feedback

Advice to Management

communication

Sep 25, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for the review! We are continuing to work on streamlined communication and will strive to make it better.