Copart Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 17, 2018

2.0
Jay Adair

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fast paced IT innovative company (in 25 reviews)

• Free educational resources Great pay and good benefits (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is completely out of touch (in 23 reviews)

• Long hours solving technical problems (in 20 reviews)

1. "IT"

I worked at Copart full-time

Pros

Team members are good and supportive

Cons

Lot of politics, backstabbing, Managers are not supportive, they will fire you if they don't like you. They forget how many late nights and weekend employee had worked during the review. They remember only the bad instance. Most of the bad instance happened due to lack of communication from management. A lot of unhappy people due to bad management.

Advice to Management

Believe in your team and support them. Work in the best interest of the company.

2. ""Do More with less, We don't care what you have to say or the reasons behind your struggles. ""

Current Employee - Manager of Yard Operations in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager of Yard Operations in Denver, CO

I have been working at Copart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, Time off, Excellent employee stock program. Depending on the yard some very good people. Very stable.

Cons

Upper management is completely out of touch. As a Yard Manager I am consistently pushed to throw my employees under the bus, and remove them from their families for excessive overtime. Upper Management consistently comes in and criticizes everything you are doing despite the fact they haven't actually worked at the yard level in years. Decisions and help from upper management only come after your yard has reached the point of desperation. They don't care if you're operating at 50% of their already slim staffing model AND overcapacity. They will come in and berate you for not meeting the unreasonable deadlines. The overtime is completely excessive. You can be told to work 7-7 7 days week for months on end with no ifs, ands, or buts. You will be told to something a certain way and then the same manager who told you to do it that way will then come in and reprimand you for it. They claim that safety is a priority but will allow sewer backups in their buildings to go untreated, electrical outlets that are broken and not grounded properly to be used. Any sort of work needed to maintain the building or yard goes to lowest bidder causing many safety issues. As a manager you have a very low salary for the workload you are given and work insane amounts of overtime for which you aren't getting paid. And on top of all that the turnover rate is VERY high. I've hired 10-15 people in a year and a half and 2 of them have made it more than 6 months. The company on the surface seems great but I believe it is breaking under it's own weight and will collapse if nothing is done.

Advice to Management

Stop treating yard staff as an expendable, inhuman resource. The work in the yard is very physically demanding and myself, as well as several of my employees have worked ourselves to the point of injury just to meet your deadlines. Me personally I have damaged my back to the point that it will never heal to be the same. You are so focused on growth that you have forgotten the foundation of a successful business which is safe, happy, and rested employees. I do not see good things for this company in the future. I have my eye on the door and will be gone as soon as an opportunity presents itself.

3. "just say no"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH

I worked at Copart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

buyers are friendly, benefits are good and overtime.

Cons

office staff excluding a few are very dramatic. They thrive on drama. Don't think about taking it to managements attention. Management will pretend to care, hold a meeting and then brush it under the rug. The same people who talk behind the managers back is the same people management has on a pedestal. They need better organization when it comes to training. You will train in an area for a day or two and that's it. Then In a month or two they want you to train again expecting you to remember what you learned a month ago. Certain managers were also very inappropriate with employees. The few employees who bust their butts are the few who are treated like crap and make the least amount of money. If you want to feel like you never left high school then go ahead and apply. If you want a company that everyone is treated equally and with respect then steer clear.

Advice to Management

stop showing favoritism, have a schedule as far as training, stricter punishment

4. "Best part is like half the people."

I have been working at Copart full-time

Pros

-The people you work with.
    -They buy you lunch once a month.

Cons

-They don't provide all necessary tools to do your job.
    -Takes months to get anything done through management.
    -The most unprofessional gossip I've ever heard coming from management.
    -Regional managers expect staff to do things even if they are 1) shady, or 2) against company policy.
    -No room for advancement, even though they preach that there is. Once you hit the receiver position, someone has to get fired to get a loader position, and after that someone basically has to die to get a management position.

Advice to Management

Stop putting unrealistic expectations on workers, and make sure RM's aren't "requiring" yard staff to do things that are against policy, and make sure the people you put into management positions don't act more childish than the kids they employ.

"Do not Value Talent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Copart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good working environment
    Excellent staff of marketing and sales force

Cons

unplanned execution due to limited time frame.
    Few Managers are not knowledgeable.
    Hiring too many interns and not converting them into Full-time even though they work good.
     Cheap and always try to save money in anyway possible. which result into giving up quality tools just because they are paid services.

Advice to Management

Be more open to Hire Interns.
    Keep Quality above cost cutting.

"Interesting Place to Work"

I worked at Copart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Depending on your state, the entry level front line/non-management pay is good. Some positive company culture. Company is continuously attempting to improve it's processes. Company has a great product and marketing agenda. Good employee stock purchasing plan.

Cons

Work load, upper/senior management, questionable product presentation tactics, some policies/procedures change too often making it challenging to stay on task. And, low management pay.

7. "General Manager"

Former Employee - GM Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - GM Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Copart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company values
    Strong Executive Team

Cons

Processes for everything are tedious and frustrating for fast pace expected
    Managers are expected to micromanage team members-do there jobs
    Too many audits per year-acting like an Insurance Company

Advice to Management

Review your processes and streamline
    Cut out the bureacracy- too many task managers down to the yard- should shelter yards to take care of customers instead of creating extra work by numerous staff agencies always adding to their workload.
    -Greedy RM's looking out for themselves by cutting key staff to stupid levels at yard to make them look good.

"They dont care if you have issues with someone"

Former Employee - Loader Operator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Loader Operator in Houston, TX

I worked at Copart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They payed ok. I made 16 an hour so it wasnt bad i got lots of overtime. Good benifits.

Cons

If you jave an issue with someone the managment doesnt care. If you are not hispanic than you dont fit there. Too much spanish on the radios. You get written up all the time. You dont get anytime to handle personal business

Advice to Management

Stop letting hispanics run the place. You cant turn your radio on without hearing spanish. This is america the primary language is english so they need to speek it. Quit writing people up all the time

"Probably want to think before accepting any positions here"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Portland, OR

I have been working at Copart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of work to be done
    Several smart co-workers

Cons

Terrible management
    High turnover
    Lots of work to be done, but no overtime allowed
    Bait and switch tactics for promotions
    Typical corporation tactics (long chain of command, follow blind orders 'just because')
    Staffed to bare minimum to get work done, so when someone calls in sick everyone takes a hit, if 2 people call in sick you better hope you're one of the 2.

Advice to Management

Stop staffing for the bare minimum. It's no secret that Copart makes money hand over fist, hire like you are a big company. Quote from an ex-manager "I've never seen Copart make so much money, but we can't hire anyone because upper management won't let us. I see everyone struggling, but we can't hire."

10. "General Manager"

I worked at Copart full-time

Pros

Compensation, benefit plans, stock options, bonuses, etc.

Cons

Some of the Upper Management need to learn to be a Leaders not just Managers. And need to look at the values of Copart and live them with their teams.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you want someone to treat yourself and your family members. Create an environment where employees do not feel like puppets. And treat everyone the same be it - race, sex, age, disabilities, etc.