Copart Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 20, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jay Adair

Pros
  • Stock Plan / Health Initiatives / Fast Paced / Global (in 22 reviews)

• the hours are Monday through Friday (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor communication from upper management (in 20 reviews)

• Long hours lots of use ingredients old computer systems poor reports (in 16 reviews)

1. "Probably want to think before accepting any positions here"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Portland, OR

I have been working at Copart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of work to be done
    Several smart co-workers

Cons

Terrible management
    High turnover
    Lots of work to be done, but no overtime allowed
    Bait and switch tactics for promotions
    Typical corporation tactics (long chain of command, follow blind orders 'just because')
    Staffed to bare minimum to get work done, so when someone calls in sick everyone takes a hit, if 2 people call in sick you better hope you're one of the 2.

Advice to Management

Stop staffing for the bare minimum. It's no secret that Copart makes money hand over fist, hire like you are a big company. Quote from an ex-manager "I've never seen Copart make so much money, but we can't hire anyone because upper management won't let us. I see everyone struggling, but we can't hire."

"Horrible Managment"

Current Employee - Auto Damage Appraiser in Greer, SC
    Current Employee - Auto Damage Appraiser in Greer, SC

I have been working at Copart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

8-5ish. Some yards follow this. Decent pay, if you are working inside. Offers over priced and essentially useless insurance.

Cons

Offers over priced and essentially useless insurance. Yard staff treated and paid like dogs. Unless you are the managers "favorite" you will end up rotting in the spot you are in. Well, this is how it is in my yard, YARD 144 Greer S.C.

Advice to Management

stop promoting the pet, promote the ones who are doing the right thing, the ones with integrity. If you want someone to succeed, give them the tools they need, stop setting people up for failure, as this WILL come around and be a direct reflection on you and your ways.

"Drama, secrets, and lies"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Copart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always busy, never sitting with nothing to do. There are many moving parts, you always have something to learn.

Cons

Hostile work environment, always watch yourself and trust no one. Don't get sick, make no mistakes or you are no longer employed!

Advice to Management

This is a tough one. They wouldn't listen when I was there, why would they listen now? Being different from the others is not always a bad thing.

5. "Wouldn't Recommend"

Former Employee - Loader Operator in Hurricane, WV
    Former Employee - Loader Operator in Hurricane, WV

I worked at Copart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay for the area and benefits. That's about it.

Cons

Extremely micro-managed. In the time I worked there (3 years) there were 13 people who either quit or were let go. Managers and Regional Managers were always changing minds on procedures and blaming employees for their mistakes. Equipment was always in disrepair and we were expected to fix most issues on our own equipment with little to no training or tools. If worked overtime, would be forced to leave early as to not accrue the extra hours. Also we were expected to complete all daily assignments, while cross training in the position above us, with ONE loader running, and stay within the the 8 hr shift. It's literally not possible when you have 40+ cars coming in to receive, 40+ cars going out to load, and multiple cars to set in sale area, while stopping to fill loader tires with air 3-4 times daily because the company won't pay for new gravel or new tires on the equipment. Really, with Copart, you are just a number, and very replaceable.

Advice to Management

Don't expect unrealistic things from your employees. See above comments.

6. "Horrible manager"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Miami, FL

I have been working at Copart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Miami it's the worst

Cons

Health benefits dental and 401 k

Advice to Management

Try to avoid Miami area for employment

"Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Copart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The Company continues to show growth and the potential for advancement, if the employee is willing to make many sacrifices.

Cons

Long hours, salaried personnel are not compensated in any way for the continuous extra hours required to adhere to unrealistic Company objectives. Male dominated culture.

Advice to Management

Improve communication to lower level Managers instead of just General Manager level and above. Focus on Office operations at the same level as Yard operations.

"Go in Knowing This"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Copart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Full time hours; pays on the better end of CSR, but not anywhere near the best. Benefits, but expensive.

Cons

Overwhelming amount of work with unreal expectation of completion. They refuse to hire enough people. No sense of camaraderie. Training is miserably matched to the job. Not enough training and supervision, so when it all falls apart, you're screwed. Unless you're big into playing team sports, Management looks down on you.

Advice to Management

"Kill them with work" is poor Employee Management. You can't build a team of dedicated people. that way.

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - General Manager in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - General Manager in Wichita, KS

I worked at Copart (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work environment for the single person.

Cons

Too much of a workload for one person with no one else to rely on.

"Good company but internal issues"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Copart (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are pretty good. Most team members are a pleasure to work with. Company is growing and is financially savvy.

Cons

IT department does not represent company values. Seems like American's are terminated for no valid reason and an H1B visa holder is given their position. Constructive criticism is stated that it is welcome, while in reality you are black listed. Individuals subtly threaten by IT management. New CIO and his staff bring in their own folks which really do not have the skills to be involved in a business the size of Copart. IT employees are working but very fearful of losing their job at a moment's notice.

Advice to Management

Look at who has been brought in to lead IT. Good people are let good or demoted. Need to change hiring methods as Copart's name is not very good with local recruiters. Need more balance in pay between execs and rest of company.

"not a forever kind of job"

Current Employee - Dispatcher in Bridgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - Dispatcher in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Copart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay. Benefits. Consistent work. Limited advancement opportunitues.

Thats it.

Cons

Almost everything. Health insurance costs are out the roof. Managers are hired as first time managers, and they are awful managers. All uppper management cares about are the scores on audits so they get their big fat bonuses for watching their employees slave away. The work itself is easy enough, but it is non stop, all day long. The phones don't stop ringing. You don't get a break on your outbound calls. If the office is behind, other departments have to stop their job to do the CSR's jobs. Some employees are so incompetent and constantly make mistakes, but no one gets in trouble. Mangers make excuses for them and fix their errors for them.
    Any overtime you work, you have to give back. They refuse to pay you for the OT you work because they are more concerned about a budget. The system we work in is ancient. Technology in the office needs a serious upgrade. I got laughed at because I told someone the system we are still using.
    Corporate will send and email about a policy change. 2 hours later we'll get an email with a change to the change. A month later we get an email saying nevermind. Get it together.

Advice to Management

Be realistic about how many employees a yard actually needs. You burn out who you have because as a billion dollar company you are too cheap to hire am extra person in a yard.
    Train managers completely, from GM's to OM's.
    If you are going to overwork your employees, at least let them keep their 30 minutes or hour of overtime.