Copart Reviews | Glassdoor

Copart Reviews

Updated February 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Innovative, fast paced, and friendly environment along with work life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Free educational resources Great pay and good benefits (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management was aware of it but they chose to ignore (in 18 reviews)

• Long hours lots of use ingredients old computer systems poor reports (in 15 reviews)

1. "Junked Rides"

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Copart (Less than a year)

Pros

Founder created a great pit crew

Cons

Carjacking of company after founder departed

2. "Awesome environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Copart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company cares about its employees. Fun and fast paced environment! Human Resources team provides consistent and fair practices.

Cons

Salary is a bit on the lower side.

Advice to Management

Executives should have a bit more of a presence with their employees.

"Institutional Caste IT Department"

Former Employee - IT Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in Dallas, TX

Pros

It's close to Plano and Frisco.

Cons

Racial discrimination against anyone born in the United States in IT development area (Cobalt,RPG,SAP).

I, my family and my parents are of Indian descent. Everybody in my immediate family were born and raised in Chicago metro area. I'm an outsider because I wasn't born in India and consequently socially segregated at work. No chance at advancement because of the location of were I grew up ("Too American" as stated by my co-workers)

English is the second language in Copart's programming department. English is spoken only to appease the American born staff when they appear.

There are less a handful of IT management & programming staff that were born and educated in the United States.

Ongoing software development lawsuits (Sparta vs Copart).

Years of missed implementation dates - 3 failed SAP implementation. SAP group is the ongoing joke in the RPG and COBALT development groups.

SAP software developed by the Dallas and offshore staffs were laugh at by the German COPART operational staff recently and completely rejected (1 year development costs wasted).

Good news for the RPG and COBALT development staff who support the legacy system that SAP is trying to replace.

Offshore programming staff that produces little or nothing but are kept on because they are in
    India (Kickbacks to COPART IT management?). Senior IT management bragged about firing 20-30 IT staff members when I was hired and forced another 20 more out shortly he was hired. "Rama" (IT department head) was really proud of that fact. Offshore staff were hired shortly there after.

In regard to the racial inequalities, the HR department responds with "We're in the process of correcting these problem". They're aware of the problem but can't do anything about it. The India caste system imported to the United States. It's the "Copart Way" of doing business in the IT software development department - "Institutionalize Racism".

Found another job back in Chicago. Gave notice and left a couple of weeks ago. Worst 3 months of my career and life.

Advice to Management

Obviously can't hire or manage an IT Department.

5. "Wouldn't Recommend"

Former Employee - Loader Operator in Hurricane, WV
    Former Employee - Loader Operator in Hurricane, WV

I worked at Copart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay for the area and benefits. That's about it.

Cons

Extremely micro-managed. In the time I worked there (3 years) there were 13 people who either quit or were let go. Managers and Regional Managers were always changing minds on procedures and blaming employees for their mistakes. Equipment was always in disrepair and we were expected to fix most issues on our own equipment with little to no training or tools. If worked overtime, would be forced to leave early as to not accrue the extra hours. Also we were expected to complete all daily assignments, while cross training in the position above us, with ONE loader running, and stay within the the 8 hr shift. It's literally not possible when you have 40+ cars coming in to receive, 40+ cars going out to load, and multiple cars to set in sale area, while stopping to fill loader tires with air 3-4 times daily because the company won't pay for new gravel or new tires on the equipment. Really, with Copart, you are just a number, and very replaceable.

Advice to Management

Don't expect unrealistic things from your employees. See above comments.

"Good"

Former Employee - Receiver in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Receiver in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Copart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady work and an understanding management team. Strong bonds between staff.

Cons

Low pay and long hours/ harsh working environment at times as well as a need for proper tools to complete tasks being unavailable.

Advice to Management

Promote from within and learn to weed out employees that are just warm bodies. Listen to your staff and issues they bring to you.

"Very Satisfying"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Copart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IT is integral to the business and is making a difference. Engineers are really good. They know their stiff. And, projects get done. Not like other IT teams that I worked in. Very different feel.

Cons

Lot of Open source technologies. So, you can't count on vendor support.
    Workload is high and non-stop.
    Lack of diversity but it doesn't bother me personally.

Advice to Management

Hire more people. Put more emphasis on quality and less on dates.

"Great Place to Work"

Pros

Copart is a great company to work for with amazing opportunity to see the benefits of your work affect your customers everyday.

Great leadership, good management and many opportunities for growth.

Cons

Many initiatives, no time to relax and challenges on work/life balance.

9. "Awesome management, people who really care about their employees. The work is physical. Opportunity to grow."

Former Employee - Yard Agent in Kapolei, HI
    Former Employee - Yard Agent in Kapolei, HI

I worked at Copart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome management team in Hawaii. Constant work. Zero micromanaging or anyone looking over your shoulder. Overall good company to work for.

Cons

The pay is slightly lower than it should be considering the cost of living in Hawaii, as well as the hot working conditions. Benefits are so expensive you would be wise to shop the health insurance marketplace.

Advice to Management

No one wants to work the yard for a long time. I would like a clear path of advancement, with performance reviews so there are no questions on performance or chance to advance.

10. "Working"

Pros

It is good to work with Copart. Competitive salary and a good team. Snacks and coffee are available all the time as well.

Cons

Being an intern, the time clocking sucks big time. The portal is buggy and doesn't quite help us in an emergency.

Advice to Management

Please find a way to avoid the time clockings or find another vendor or start an inhouse mechanism

11. "Java Intern"

Pros

Excellent Peers and good team

Cons

work culture could be better