Copper River IT Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ben Brucker

"Good People, Solid Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

Pros

Copper River employs self-starters that are looking to make a difference, satisfy customer requirements and push the company to success.

Cons

Lacking communication from the top down. Information often delivered on an as needed basis versus transparency, which creates an environment of inclusiveness.

Advice to Management

Create a dialogue with employees, communicate w/ employees more often and on a more consistent basis. Talk about where we are, where the company is going and where the company could go. Foster interdepartmental communication and interaction.

2. "Review Copper River"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Decent benefits were offered by the company

Cons

Yearly uncertainty dependent on goverment contracts

"Unlimited Potential - Great People!"

Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at Copper River IT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities abound - experienced engineers, high level certifications .
    Past performance experience and patner relations across network engineering and security aligns well to every growing cyber market.
    Loyal customers, federal and commercial, with high satisfaction levels.
    Experienced program managers, professional services, and back office support.
    Fun, vibrant office environment with great people.
    Good benefits.

Cons

No Micro Management - if you need to be told what to do and when to do it - RUN, do not walk.
    Process improvements needed in a couple of areas to eliminate redundancy.
    Remote office location(s).

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the right people - and back office systems.

"Excellent Office Environment"

I have been working at Copper River IT full-time

Pros

I began working at Copper River early this year and couldn't be more happy with my decision to join the team. Everyone was so welcoming when I started. The environment is of course fast paced and busy, but always friendly. My position here has provided me with so much growth potential, and allows me to take advantage of educational opportunities too, including tuition assistant.

The work has been fascinating and opened up so many doors not only for the company to grow but new high level roles for current employees to move into.

There's company outings and wellness program, even chair massage every other week.

Cons

Soda machine eats your money

Advice to Management

Free soda

"Considering employment here? Run, don't walk away!"

I have been working at Copper River IT full-time

Pros

there are not many...vendors bringing in lots of food is one that comes to mind

Cons

so many negative reviews can't be wrong...it's not a good place. it's cliquey and probably not unlike the worst of your high school experiences. leadership is questionable, particularly middle management.

7. "Go Elsewhere"

Current Employee - Employee in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Copper River IT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

hockey stick revenue over the past 3 years but that does not translate to raises for employees. Good employees, but management leaves much to be desired. New Sales Management has talent and strong character so maybe they can change the culture

Cons

No direction; or just wait until next quarter and it will change.

Advice to Management

Find a true leader, and stick to the mission statement

"My stay at CR was quite good...not sure why so many negative comments"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Chantilly, VA

Pros

I failed to understand why there were so many negative reviews about CR. I did not stay there for long but during my stay there at CR, everyone were friendly and we also had a couple of company outings and free lunches from various vendors(Juniper, Brocade, etc), we have seminars, technical sessions with PS colleagues and vendors, everything looks great....plus engineers have had an even better environment to talk about technologies and configurations.

Cons

Someone was a bit pushy and a bit harder to work with in terms of sales engagement...still fall into a natural/regular range.....

Oh, health benefits were not very very good.....just regular....

"A little baffled"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Copper River IT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm a little baffled by some of the negative reviews. I'm a current employee and I recognize a lot of benefits of working here, e.g., copious amounts of training, a family friendly environment, very good benefits, and interesting work. Additionally, the company also has outings several times a year...for example, the employees were treated to an afternoon outing at Top Golf which is an over the top driving range in Sterling. It was a lot of fun for even people like me who aren't golfers. About the person who is complaining about daily time reports, he or she simply doesn't understand the business. Many of the projects require daily or weekly time reports back to our customers as well as profitability reports back to management. Those daily time reports from employees are needed to ensure that project reports are accurate. Even if that weren't the case, the time reports take maybe 2-3 minutes. It's not exactly an arduous or grueling task.

Cons

Not many at all and none that are different from any other company out there.

10. "Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Copper River IT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Once upon a time the company had great benefits, family perspective, we worked as a team, faced every battle together, we couldn't be beat and wouldn't be bullied. There was no battle to large for us to conquer.

Cons

Not sure where to go with the Cons!

Advice to Management

When I started working for this company there was all of maybe 20-25 employees. We were having issues due to bad leadership. The tribe stepped in with the help of 2 employees stressing the concern for the company and the road it was traveling. The company was making great progress slowly but it was progressing. The hours and dedication that were poured into this company to assure its success was endless and selfless. (cause that's how we rolled) These were individuals that were salary so there was no financial gain just pure of heart devotion. In 2012, we purchased another company that was basically the same issue we had bad leadership and in trouble. The power struggle began, it was horrible, I have never seen anything like it in the work world. The company was losing its whole perspective...its mission. I made the ultimate stand even when others punched me down. I stood up for what was right even when it meant standing alone. What has happened to this company isn't what the current CEO and myself fought for. When I left this company all I could think of is what I was losing by leaving, but now to look back, it is truly Copper River IT that lost out. Never will you find an employee that will go to the extremes that some did to save a company. I can't even dispel the words, "it's not my job" "I don't know how" "I don't have time" "he/she did it" "take it somewhere else"

"THE Worst !!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Copper River IT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The CTO has Formula 1 swag in his office. He earns $300K with no responsibilities. The OLD guard takes care of the wagon circle and ensures the federal dollars contract remains valid.

Cons

New hires (even those with 20+ years experience) are treated like children and required to follow rules that should raise eyebrows, for example, even salaried employees are requited to send daily hours worked to management.

Advice to Management

The folks in Alaska should come to Chantilly and remove all the dead wood that pretend to be making a difference beyond siting in an office and thinking about lunch.