Copper River IT Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 17, 2017

Current Employees

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ben Brucker

"Good People, Solid Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

Pros

Copper River employs self-starters that are looking to make a difference, satisfy customer requirements and push the company to success.

Cons

Lacking communication from the top down. Information often delivered on an as needed basis versus transparency, which creates an environment of inclusiveness.

Advice to Management

Create a dialogue with employees, communicate w/ employees more often and on a more consistent basis. Talk about where we are, where the company is going and where the company could go. Foster interdepartmental communication and interaction.

"HORRIBLE"

I have been working at Copper River IT full-time

Pros

None that I can think of. The pay is decent I suppose

Cons

All about clicks .. Management hires friends and family as top level employees and those who fall under them must either succumb to their every wish or be treated like crap. Good luck

"Unlimited Potential - Great People!"

Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at Copper River IT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities abound - experienced engineers, high level certifications .
    Past performance experience and patner relations across network engineering and security aligns well to every growing cyber market.
    Loyal customers, federal and commercial, with high satisfaction levels.
    Experienced program managers, professional services, and back office support.
    Fun, vibrant office environment with great people.
    Good benefits.

Cons

No Micro Management - if you need to be told what to do and when to do it - RUN, do not walk.
    Process improvements needed in a couple of areas to eliminate redundancy.
    Remote office location(s).

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the right people - and back office systems.

"Excellent Office Environment"

I have been working at Copper River IT full-time

Pros

I began working at Copper River early this year and couldn't be more happy with my decision to join the team. Everyone was so welcoming when I started. The environment is of course fast paced and busy, but always friendly. My position here has provided me with so much growth potential, and allows me to take advantage of educational opportunities too, including tuition assistant.

The work has been fascinating and opened up so many doors not only for the company to grow but new high level roles for current employees to move into.

There's company outings and wellness program, even chair massage every other week.

Cons

Soda machine eats your money

Advice to Management

Free soda

"Considering employment here? Run, don't walk away!"

I have been working at Copper River IT full-time

Pros

there are not many...vendors bringing in lots of food is one that comes to mind

Cons

so many negative reviews can't be wrong...it's not a good place. it's cliquey and probably not unlike the worst of your high school experiences. leadership is questionable, particularly middle management.

7. "Go Elsewhere"

Current Employee - Employee in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Copper River IT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

hockey stick revenue over the past 3 years but that does not translate to raises for employees. Good employees, but management leaves much to be desired. New Sales Management has talent and strong character so maybe they can change the culture

Cons

No direction; or just wait until next quarter and it will change.

Advice to Management

Find a true leader, and stick to the mission statement

"A little baffled"

I have been working at Copper River IT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm a little baffled by some of the negative reviews. I'm a current employee and I recognize a lot of benefits of working here, e.g., copious amounts of training, a family friendly environment, very good benefits, and interesting work. Additionally, the company also has outings several times a year...for example, the employees were treated to an afternoon outing at Top Golf which is an over the top driving range in Sterling. It was a lot of fun for even people like me who aren't golfers. About the person who is complaining about daily time reports, he or she simply doesn't understand the business. Many of the projects require daily or weekly time reports back to our customers as well as profitability reports back to management. Those daily time reports from employees are needed to ensure that project reports are accurate. Even if that weren't the case, the time reports take maybe 2-3 minutes. It's not exactly an arduous or grueling task.

Cons

Not many at all and none that are different from any other company out there.

"Copper River IT"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Copper River IT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people that make you feel as part of the family. The group are starting to use processes in a more positive way to achieve success across the business functions.

Cons

There are too many executives that really don't understand the whole business. They think they do and talk a good game, but are sometimes unwilling to let their people do what they have hired them to do.

Advice to Management

Have more faith in the people you hire to do their jobs. If you allow middle management to lead they will most always surprise you with what they can do.

10. "Great company to work for in my opinion"

Current Employee - Computer Analyst
    Current Employee - Computer Analyst

I have been working at Copper River IT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is supportive, friendly, responsive, and quick to help. Human resources is very quick as well to answer questions and resolve any issues. I can honestly say in the 8 years I've worked in this area (through various contracts); this is by far the best company I've worked for. They are very good to their people, and in my experience always putting their employees first. It really does make for a great work environment.

I can't speak for everyone in this company, but my coworkers are intelligent, well versed in their duties, and are professional in their work ethics. Some are well rounded while others have some specialties that bring a vast knowledge to the team. My managers are not only managers but also experienced analysts themselves, which makes for a much better setup than having managers that only know how to manage people.

I should mention, I had looked at a different job someone recommended to me, and found that Copper River treated me better in my time with them and leaving than I was treated by the company that was trying to hire me....

In regards to what the previous review mentioned on benefits, I've found the opposite to be true. My insurance is dramatically cheaper than my previous jobs, and way cheaper than the other job I had been looking at with a much larger company. I have no complaints about any of the benefits Copper River offers. I'm very happy to be an Orca!

Cons

Don't want to leave this blank, so here's the best I can come up with for cons:

Job security if on a government contract, though this isn't specific to Copper River. There is always the chance they may lose the contract, but most of the time whoever wins the contract will pick up the existing staff anyway. This is the case no matter what government contractor you may be employed by. It’s easier to keep who is in place than rehire. I had 1 position that I was employed by 3 companies in.

This is just my opinion, but I have no doubts that if you work for them, prove your worth, and make a good example, that they will do their best to find you another position with the company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Hypocritical culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Copper River IT (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly people, although too accepting of mediocrity.

Cons

Extremely poorly managed company. Classic example of a company that announces a mission and their love of employees on banners but consistently behaves in contradictory ways. In a healthy, successful company HR professionals truly ensure the company focuses to foster employee development and develops a proactive, cooperative employee environment. At Copper River IT, the HR Department is widely referred to as "The Black Widow Den" (even by the CEO) because of the propensity to spy on employees with the hope of finding fault with others. (This sort of attitude and behavior is encouraged by the true culture at Copper River. Completely hypocritical of the "caring attitude" the company professes.)