Copper River IT Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ben Brucker

1. "Great company to work for in my opinion"

Current Employee - Computer Analyst
    Current Employee - Computer Analyst

I have been working at Copper River IT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is supportive, friendly, responsive, and quick to help. Human resources is very quick as well to answer questions and resolve any issues. I can honestly say in the 8 years I've worked in this area (through various contracts); this is by far the best company I've worked for. They are very good to their people, and in my experience always putting their employees first. It really does make for a great work environment.

I can't speak for everyone in this company, but my coworkers are intelligent, well versed in their duties, and are professional in their work ethics. Some are well rounded while others have some specialties that bring a vast knowledge to the team. My managers are not only managers but also experienced analysts themselves, which makes for a much better setup than having managers that only know how to manage people.

I should mention, I had looked at a different job someone recommended to me, and found that Copper River treated me better in my time with them and leaving than I was treated by the company that was trying to hire me....

In regards to what the previous review mentioned on benefits, I've found the opposite to be true. My insurance is dramatically cheaper than my previous jobs, and way cheaper than the other job I had been looking at with a much larger company. I have no complaints about any of the benefits Copper River offers. I'm very happy to be an Orca!

Cons

Don't want to leave this blank, so here's the best I can come up with for cons:

Job security if on a government contract, though this isn't specific to Copper River. There is always the chance they may lose the contract, but most of the time whoever wins the contract will pick up the existing staff anyway. This is the case no matter what government contractor you may be employed by. It’s easier to keep who is in place than rehire. I had 1 position that I was employed by 3 companies in.

This is just my opinion, but I have no doubts that if you work for them, prove your worth, and make a good example, that they will do their best to find you another position with the company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Unlimited Potential - Great People!"

Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at Copper River IT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities abound - experienced engineers, high level certifications .
    Past performance experience and patner relations across network engineering and security aligns well to every growing cyber market.
    Loyal customers, federal and commercial, with high satisfaction levels.
    Experienced program managers, professional services, and back office support.
    Fun, vibrant office environment with great people.
    Good benefits.

Cons

No Micro Management - if you need to be told what to do and when to do it - RUN, do not walk.
    Process improvements needed in a couple of areas to eliminate redundancy.
    Remote office location(s).

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the right people - and back office systems.

"Good People, Solid Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

Pros

Copper River employs self-starters that are looking to make a difference, satisfy customer requirements and push the company to success.

Cons

Lacking communication from the top down. Information often delivered on an as needed basis versus transparency, which creates an environment of inclusiveness.

Advice to Management

Create a dialogue with employees, communicate w/ employees more often and on a more consistent basis. Talk about where we are, where the company is going and where the company could go. Foster interdepartmental communication and interaction.

"Copper River IT"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Copper River IT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people that make you feel as part of the family. The group are starting to use processes in a more positive way to achieve success across the business functions.

Cons

There are too many executives that really don't understand the whole business. They think they do and talk a good game, but are sometimes unwilling to let their people do what they have hired them to do.

Advice to Management

Have more faith in the people you hire to do their jobs. If you allow middle management to lead they will most always surprise you with what they can do.

"A little baffled"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Copper River IT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm a little baffled by some of the negative reviews. I'm a current employee and I recognize a lot of benefits of working here, e.g., copious amounts of training, a family friendly environment, very good benefits, and interesting work. Additionally, the company also has outings several times a year...for example, the employees were treated to an afternoon outing at Top Golf which is an over the top driving range in Sterling. It was a lot of fun for even people like me who aren't golfers. About the person who is complaining about daily time reports, he or she simply doesn't understand the business. Many of the projects require daily or weekly time reports back to our customers as well as profitability reports back to management. Those daily time reports from employees are needed to ensure that project reports are accurate. Even if that weren't the case, the time reports take maybe 2-3 minutes. It's not exactly an arduous or grueling task.

Cons

Not many at all and none that are different from any other company out there.

"My stay at CR was quite good...not sure why so many negative comments"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Chantilly, VA

Pros

I failed to understand why there were so many negative reviews about CR. I did not stay there for long but during my stay there at CR, everyone were friendly and we also had a couple of company outings and free lunches from various vendors(Juniper, Brocade, etc), we have seminars, technical sessions with PS colleagues and vendors, everything looks great....plus engineers have had an even better environment to talk about technologies and configurations.

Cons

Someone was a bit pushy and a bit harder to work with in terms of sales engagement...still fall into a natural/regular range.....

Oh, health benefits were not very very good.....just regular....

"Review Copper River"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Decent benefits were offered by the company

Cons

Yearly uncertainty dependent on goverment contracts

8. "Outside account manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Copper River IT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Nice office. Friendly people. Can work remote Decent salary marketing does good job of trying to help with leads.

Cons

No quoting tool. No support. No data base of past sales. You must have all your own contacts to make any sales. Existing customers limited. Don't get paid commission until customer pays invoice.

"You would think with the growth they could actually be a little more mature."

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Copper River IT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like being surrounded by upper management that reminds you more of a frat house its great. YO can move up quickly if you are good at office politics and brown nosing.

Cons

No training, HQ is ran by a bunch of people that never finished college. They still feel like its jocks and cheer leaders.

Advice to Management

Grow up, learn to actually follow some sort of model that doesn't change on a whim.

"Run away and Run Fast"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Copper River IT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The interview process was easy. And they will extend an offer pretty quick. Human Resource and the technical staffing firm they work with seem to have their stuff together.
    If you are in with mgmt. you will move up quickly.

Cons

This list is pretty long.

They tell you a travel requirement of 25%, What they mean is 90%.
    The benefits are awful, high cost for insurance etc. - They do match your 401k which is nice.
    The raises are horrible, this year they decided you can only get a 3% raise a year (even if you exceed all expectations on your review), even though they low ball you when they hire you.
    No job security. They fire people on whim, especially if you are not "in" with HR
    Mgmt is immature. Think high school, but now they have titles.
    They have no regard for the customers at all and will sell them anything - think used car salesmen.
    If you are not in with mgmt. you will not advance.

Advice to Management

Stop selling everything to a customer - get off the car lot. Focus on what you are good at. Be honest - to the employees and the customers.