CorVel Reviews | Glassdoor

CorVel Chairman and CEO Gordon Clemons
Gordon Clemons

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Lack of health insurance - not worth going through the company (in 17 reviews)

• No room for growth unless you are friends with top management (in 10 reviews)

"Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at CorVel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Make friends and get promotion.

Cons

Stressful environment, useless management, unprofessional bosses.
    If you make upper management your friends then you don't have to worry at all, just come to work spend hours in talking with upper management and collect your paycheck. Also you will get promoted soon :) whatelse you need ??

Advice to Management

Don't treat staff differently, people can't sit 8 hours straight and stare their computer, we have to stretch our body time to time, need to walk and do small talk, don't go to our supervisor and ask all the time that your team don't have anything to do, I saw her standing and talking to this person, is she on a break or what? I think he knows I am talking about HIM.

"less than average"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at CorVel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

learnt a lot, made some friends

Cons

micromanaged, odd working environment, very little interaction with colleagues. no interaction between men and women and if there is any interaction it is extremely odd and tends to be demeaning towards women. extreme pressure and heavy workload, bad pay, very bad benefits, people are treated badly by management with no respect, bad and toxic company culture. no opportunity to grow.

Advice to Management

change the company culture. provide better pay and better benefits and less workload.

"Favoritism"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Cameron Park, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Cameron Park, CA

I have been working at CorVel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CorVel is very flexible, they will work with you on your school schedule and accommodate you any way to improve your work flow.

Cons

There is a lot of favoritism going and when I say a lot I mean if you are not related to management, you will not go any higher in CorVel

Advice to Management

Your employees are worth more than you think

"Outdated Processes"

Former Contractor - QA Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Contractor - QA Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at CorVel as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly environment. Good work/life balance. The QA manager makes a serious effort to find people who will mesh well with the team.

Cons

The software development and release process is prehistoric. I'll wager this is one of the last software teams in Portland using waterfall. Testing is tracked using Microsoft Word documents. Ticket progress is handled by a kludgework of arcane systems which barely speak to one another. There may as well be an ocean between development and QA.

Advice to Management

Agile is not a fad. It's popular because it works. You have talented, hard-working people spending 50% of their time on completely unnecessary process. Small, self-directed, cross-functional teams (using tools from the 21st century) can do in two weeks what you're currently doing in a month.

"No room for growth unless you are friends with someone in top management"

Former Employee - Data Verification Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Data Verification Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I worked at CorVel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free bagels on meeting days. Free tea in the break room. Some of the employees are really nice. Jeans on Friday.

Cons

No room for growth unless you are friends with top management. Never recognized for the work you put in--- always complains that you're never doing enough or not right. Constantly multitasking with helping others and doing your own work. High turnover. Terrible pay!

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and find out ways to improve. Take care of your top employer and maybe they won't leave the company.

"Not bad....No Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at CorVel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free lunch, snacks and breakfast for various occasions. Nice people to work with. Covered parking garage

Cons

NO FLEXIBILITY AT ALL.....Unless you are in a certain department where you are treated as an adult and not watched over and micromanaged. I'm giving the place a 2 rating because the building is nice, great location (which doesn't really matter because you cannot do anything with a 30 min lunch. and NO you cannot combine your lunch and breaks) so bring your lunch everyday or eat from the overpriced deli...no running errands on lunch.....back to the NO WORK LIFE BALANCE THING. Only paid 2x per month. Benefits not comparable to other companies within the healthcare industry.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees to do what you hired them to do. Treat your employees as the adults they are. Nothing sucks more than seeing people in other departments happy all the time, always happy to be at work and are able to have a work life balance. Flexible start and end times. They come in, do their work and go home. Some managers wonder why a certain manager has loyal employees willing to go over and beyond for her. She's FLEXIBLE....Show me a flexible manager and I will show you an employee that will literally bend over backwards, go over and beyond to get the job done. This same manager has the most awards for years of service to pass out every year. You'd think other managers would take notice ESPECIALLY when the turn around in their department is that of a revolving door. You should NOT be surprised when people constantly leave. If you cannot trust employees to be adults and do the job they were hired for then why even hire them.

"Halfbaked Company"

Former Employee - Senior Claims Examiner in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Examiner in Riverside, CA

I worked at CorVel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay
    Flex schedule
    Lots of food always available
    Next to Ontario Mills

Cons

Benefits are terrible
    Branches act independently from corporate
    poor training and onboarding
    lack of focus
    see what sticks approach to everything
    no concrete business model
    lots of nepotism

Advice to Management

invest in your workforce and product, and don't cut corners... it will take time to compete and don't rush the process.

"OK company"

Former Employee - Analyst in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Analyst in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Lunches, PTO, Vacation, Nice Office

Cons

Micromanagement, Lack of Training, Culture

"Scan One (owned by Corvel) is a toxic environment."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at CorVel full-time

Pros

Coworkers are often great people, although they prefer to quit and go elsewhere once they discover how badly they're being treated.
    The work itself is enjoyable, and the company is interesting.
    Many opportunities to advance.

Cons

Pay is low in an area with a skyrocketing cost-of-living, although profits are high.
    During a recent board member tour, it was said that S1 makes more profits for Corvel than Corvel itself does. This was said within earshot of production staff (the lowest paid in the company).
    Benefits are worthless and unaffordable, although they recently lowered the lowest price available - just low enough so that we don't qualify for tax credits on outside insurance.
    Newly hired staff are paid as much as seasoned staff and leadership, without an actual adjustment in wages for the rest - at most, a small raise will be given to those staff who are rumored to be leaving.
    Working environment is incredibly toxic, management is only interested in maximizing profits, and are uninterested in employee welfare, even after staff continuing to resign and being unable to attract new staff.
    Everything is a secret, especially when the secrecy benefits the company's profits.
    Nepotism is rampant, and some management/leadership are openly hostile to employees. When concerns are brought up, they're ignored.
    Overtime in some departments is required and expected, regardless of prior commitments and work-life balance, and despite a corporate policy that overtime is NOT required. It may be officially not required, but if you refuse, you're treated poorly, pressured and guilt-tripped.
    The lowest paid staff are under an incredible amount of scrutiny, whereas the higher-paid staff are mostly left alone.

Advice to Management

Take the feedback we give you to heart. Please don't try to explain it away. Listen. When you tell us we have a secure, well-paying job in a good company, you are lying to us. That may not have been a lie 20 years ago, but it is now.

"The people are nice"

Current Employee - Claims Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CorVel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- I came in with no experience and advanced quickly
    - The people I work with are nice

Cons

- The company is new to the field, so it is disorganized and short-staffed
    - I have a HUGE work load, but I am on a low salary, so I don't have any overtime opportunities
    - It is a HIGH STRESS environment

Advice to Management

- Provide adequate staffing numbers for the workload