Cordell & Cordell Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.2
Joseph E. Cordell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I have managed to maintain a strong work/life balance because of the policies of the firm" (in 7 reviews)

• "I am a current paralegal with almost a year of working for Cordell & Cordell" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lack of communication with management" (in 2 reviews)

• "Working with hot head attorneys (not all, a small few) really discredits the company" (in 10 reviews)

"Legal Administrative Assisant"

Current Employee - Legal Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Legal Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Cordell & Cordell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great pay, great management. If you are a mature adult you can work on your own without hand-holding and can provide results as expected, you will love to work at Cordell. Cordell takes care of its employees and you are awarded for your hard work. Cordell environment is not for slackers.

Cons

Work load is voluminous.

Advice to Management

Staff offices better with adequate support staff. Dual roles should not be permanent positions. Staff each office with a LOA and a Paralegal. Workload can cause burn-out and good people leave the company because of it.

2. "Great"

I have been working at Cordell & Cordell full-time

Pros

Fast paced environment. Must keep track of billable hours religiously. High expectations for work product. Great benefits!

Cons

Heavy work load- sometimes staying well past close of business to complete tasks.

3. "National Firm- Experience Depends on Local Office"

Former Employee - Attorney
    Former Employee - Attorney

I worked at Cordell & Cordell full-time

Pros

great benefits (pay is a little low); if your supervisor is great then your experience is great; some people here are really happy

Cons

sometimes the pool of applicants is low so they don't always hire the best; the recruiter will emphasize work life balance but whether they really give you flexibility and work/life balance depends on your boss; there's no way to really tell upper level management anything so you're definitely stuck with your immediate supervisor's way of doing things; Christmas party in St. Louis is expensive and practically mandatory even though it's in December and on a Friday & Saturday night when you'd rather be with your family during the holidays; bonus structure changes OFTEN so don't rely on that when deciding whether to take the job--negotiate a higher salary instead; Heard from many attorneys that they were promised management positions and then never got them so don't trust that either when taking the job

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Paralegal
    Current Employee - Paralegal

I have been working at Cordell & Cordell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am a current paralegal with almost a year of working for Cordell & Cordell. This is a great place to work. Benefits are fantastic, culture is good, pay is great. If you are an experienced paralegal and do not need any hand holding, you will be happy here. Training of course is available and mentoring is required for each new hire.

Cons

This is a large corporate firm and this place runs by the manual. It may seem impossible to effectuate any kind of quick change for some inefficiencies.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Law Office Administrator in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Law Office Administrator in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Cordell & Cordell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, compensation, flexibility, career advancement and work-life balance

Cons

I haven't come across any cons just yet.

"Attorney"

Current Employee - Associate Attorney
    Current Employee - Associate Attorney

I have been working at Cordell & Cordell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, amazing benefits, and employees are given lot of flexibility that provides for a great work life balance. The firm treats us like professionals and like they really value us.

Cons

There are no cons.

7. "One bad apple ruins....."

Former Employee - Assistant
    Former Employee - Assistant

I worked at Cordell & Cordell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pretty good company. takes care of their employees

Cons

Working with hot head attorneys (not all, a small few) really discredits the company. Keep up the communication - Co. would rather keep an arrogant attorney with terrible organizational and communication skills and does not work as a team - rather than keep hard working employees.

Advice to Management

Do a little more research before you let go of the wrong employees. Keep your promises.

"Associate Attorney"

Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Cordell & Cordell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The co-workers were great. Paid health benefits for employees were a nice.

Cons

There's a company policy not to talk about your salaries with other employees. When I first started as a 2 year attorney, my starting salary was $64,000.00. As my time there progressed, the managing partner of my office made it very clear that the range of salary increases would be around 3% with the highest salary increase she's ever seen (based on merit) to be at 5% each year. Any extra money that you earn will be in bonuses, so once you're locked into a salary, there is very little room to increase your base-line salary without a huge promotion (which are extremely rare).

Recruiting made promises that you could expect salary increases as your productivity increased and you became more senior in the company. This unfortunately did not prove to be true. After a couple of years at the company recruiter even told a coworker of mine that she was being underpaid and deserved more money. That friend left to start their own firm a few months later. In fact, there was a bit of an exodus after attorneys who were reaching their 5 year mark realized that they could make more money at other firms or on their own.

By the end of my 3 years at Cordell, my salary was around the $68,000.00/year mark. Several coworkers around the country left the company around the same time because management made it clear that we were not to expect significant salary increases throughout our career.

When I was there, the billing requirement was a minimum of 1700 hours a year. Based on my hourly rate and the typical rule of paying attorneys salaries 1/3 of what they bill, I was earning half of what I should have. Once I went out on my own, I was able to earn the same amount of money doing less than half the billable work.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they're worth.

"Update- Improvement"

Current Employee - Attorney in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Attorney in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Cordell & Cordell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits; flexible schedule; no hours requirements; unlimited vacation; independence. Great coworkers.

Cons

I’m fairly certain managers and partners were instructed to leave glowing reviews at the end of September because there seems to have been a run on them after a serious of scathing reviews. lol. Hence why I decided to write this review. My office does not overbill, we are all experienced attorneys who care about our clients, and the quality of our work. We are a team and supportive of one another- this includes our staff - we are a little family. I left a bad review about “unattainable bonuses” a while ago. The firm still keeps changing the structure still but it seems to be improving and stabilizing. My biggest complaint is the same: underpaying staff so that we are always under-staffed with fairly high turnover. My next complaint, lack of investment in attorney continuing education and Bar membership, and treatise/calendaring/etc materials and programs to be more efficient. They run bare bones to keep costs down. Make sure you negotiate a high salary coming in because you won’t receive large raises once in.

Advice to Management

Increase pay for employees who have been here at least 3 years; for example, $5k-10k if you reach a benchmark. Take firm referral off of the surveys because the attorneys cannot control other departments, like accounting.

10. "Fantastic place for family lawyers"

Current Employee - Attorney
    Current Employee - Attorney

I have been working at Cordell & Cordell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and legal training are the top perks at this firm. Colleagues are great to work with.

Cons

Nothing at the moment.

Advice to Management

Fund/reimburse attorney's involvement in voluntary bar activities.