Cordell & Cordell "bonus structure" Reviews | Glassdoor

Cordell & Cordell Employee Reviews about "bonus structure"

Updated May 6, 2019

4.5
Cordell & Cordell CEO Joseph E. Cordell (no image)
Joseph E. Cordell
Pros
Cons
  • "The bonus structure is not consistent(in 9 reviews)

• "It is difficult to think of a "con" of working at Cordell other than the normal issues involved in any other law firm dealing with family law clients(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "bonus structure"

Return to all Reviews

"Best Decision I Ever Made"

Current Employee - Litigation Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Cordell & Cordell full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've been with Cordell for over 7 years. Every promise they made me from the beginning has been kept. The benefits cannot be beat. Most importantly, though, I look forward to coming to work everyday because I have fantastic co-workers. It really is a team environment.

Cons

Because it is a "young" firm, they are still working to figure out the bonus structure. While that has its challenges, I do appreciate working somewhere that is actively trying to better itself rather than sticking to old methodologies.

Cordell & Cordell2019-05-06

"Cordell Baltimore"

Current Employee - Attorney in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Cordell & Cordell full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great people in the Baltimore office to work with, great insurance benefits, flexible work schedule, lots of autonomy

Cons

changing management, changing bonus structure,

Cordell & Cordell2019-05-06

"Benefits are Great and so our my Co-Workers"

Current Employee - Litigation Attorney

I have been working at Cordell & Cordell full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are highly competitive compared to other firms in my city. For the first time in my career I can honestly say that I enjoy my co-workers. My office is very supportive of each other. The firm itself seems interested in their employees opinions regarding the firm, and regularly solities our position on our benefits, bonus structure and metrics in an effort to satisfied and highly effective employs. As a pro/con but more so a pro the firm provides specific metrics to measure your performance throughout the year. It can be a helpful guide in measuring your success within the firm.

Cons

In the three years that I have worked here, the bonus structure has changed three times, in some cases unfairly shifting the weight of some metrics over others. For example, currently client's surveys are weighed higher despite the fact that the client's surveys typically reflect their displeasure in the firm's policies or the outcome of the case as opposed to the service provided by the attorney. There is also a lack of transparency regarding the firm's decision to adjust an employee's income per the change in the market which is extremely frustrating. Benefits are great, but the work expected from the firm is vast, and compensation should reflect the work required as employees grow within the firm.

Cordell & Cordell2019-04-24

"Excellent Benefits, People and a Great Place to Work!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fayetteville, GA

I have been working at Cordell & Cordell full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work environment is great and the benefits are awesome. I really enjoy working with the people here.

Cons

The bonus structure is not consistent.

Cordell & Cordell2019-04-17

"Wonderful law firm to work for"

Current Employee - Attorney

I have been working at Cordell & Cordell full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The firm invests a great deal in its employees. The compensation and benefits are great and the firm is always looking for ways to offer more to employees. If you are a person who works hard you will be rewarded. The ROWE (results only work environment) for attorneys is priceless if you have a family or children as it provides you with flexibility to manage your work schedule. Everyone that works at Cordell or CMPG are like a family; everyone is happy to help anyone out in need. Having spent over ten years working at a different law firm, I can really appreciate just how great my job at Cordell & Cordell is.

Cons

Working in the family law field with clients is stressful and challenging. The fact that the bonus structure changes yearly is frustrating.

Cordell & Cordell2019-02-26

"Great place to work - good compensation, clear expectations"

Current Employee - Associate Attorney in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Cordell & Cordell full-time for more than a year

Pros

Usually family law is high stress and low compensation. That's not the case at this firm because they have the resources to help you manage your workload and they compensate better than any family law firm in my region. They require you to do a lot of work to earn that excellent salary and benefits, but that's no trouble if you go in with your eyes open. The job is really what you make of it. There are lots of opportunities to grow, to make more money and to make the job what you want it to be. They trust their employees to be adults, so they offer a lot of flexibility in time management. I really like how clear they are about performance expectations. It is very easy for you to know in real-time if you're succeeding as an employee.

Cons

Sometimes it is frustrating that policies change a lot. Bonus structure has changed every year I've been here, for example. (It's never a shocking change. They all have a common theme: work a lot, get a better bonus.) The top brass at the firm makes their political leanings very clear. For instance, the company holiday party is going to be at a Trump resort this year. I don't force the firm to listen to my political views (and if I did, our marketing messages would be very different). I wish they wouldn't make me listen to their views. Also, it's confusing because a lot of the internal reality as an employee doesn't match their external messaging. The firm has such family-friendly policies and so many women, people of color, and LGBT employees in leadership positions. Sometimes the external messaging makes it sound like this is some caveman, alt-right firm. That is not the reality, and it's a disservice to our employees and the work we do to present it as such.

Cordell & Cordell2019-02-12

"Paralegal"

Current Employee - Paralegal in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Cordell & Cordell full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are fully paid, but you have to go through a vitality program, which is a headache, and they won't cover your spouse unless they do not have any insurance available at their place of employment, so you end up having to pay anyway.

Cons

Where do I begin?! When I got hired, I was told that I would get three raises in the first year. I got zero. Over a year later, I finally got a raise. Even though I'd been in the top five paralegals in the country, they only gave me a minuscule raise, I mean barely anything. I bonused the first year because I was killing it with billing, but the following year they changed the bonus structure and it was unattainable. It even seems to be geared that way so you can't attain it. Your work load is so huge and there are so many parameters that you are really just set-up for failure. The partner over our territory comes in to speak to the attorneys, but says little more to me than hello and goodbye. The attorneys complain that she's rude, uninspired, disrespectful, and unknowledgeable in our state specific requirements. She seems slovenly too, for a partner. They pay me just under $25 an hour, but bill $155 an hour for my services. They bill clients if they blink their eyes at your case file. After I started, they fired the other paralegal and refused to replace her. I had an unmanageable case load, very little to no job specific training, and most everyone was horrible to me. Working there has been one of the most stressful, degrading, unfulfilling, and emotionally trying experiences of my life. There is zero work life balance. If you travel they make you bunk with coworkers you barely know and have at least three stops on your plane trip to get from one place to the other. They are cheapskates and undervalue their staff. They'd sooner fire you then help you achieve success or understand where you're going wrong. Corporate managers often just refuse to reply to your concerns. I would never want to be a client there either. Good gimmicks, little value. Supposed to be men centric. Their staff has absolutely no knowledge of men's specific rights. It's just a ploy to reel you in and gouge you with some of the highest rates in the area. Attorneys are mostly straight out of college and full of themselves. Everyone is micromanaged to the extreme by company policy which changes when the next wind blows. They fired my manager and assigned me a new supervisor. I didn't know she was even managing me for six months, when I stumbled upon it, only to be treated with hostility and ridicule by my department manager who is completely arrogant. No one cares about you at this company. You aren't even a number. Horrible firm!!! Work anywhere else. ANYWHERE!

Cordell & Cordell2016-09-29

"Unattainable Bonuses"

in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Cordell & Cordell

Pros

Nice coworkers. 100% match 401k.

Cons

The firm low balls attorneys, and rarely gives meaningful raises. They treat attorneys like they are replaceable. They do not adequately cover continuing education. And they are constantly changing the bonus structure, to the attorney's prejudice. Management acts as though there is advancement opportunity, when there is not. They create so many layers and prerequisites for bonuses and advancement, that it's the same as none at all. Also, tired of obscene displays of wealth by Mr. Cordell and upper management, while they underpay employees.

Cordell & Cordell2016-03-02

"Call center"

Former Employee - Call Center in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Cordell & Cordell full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free insurance,soda and coffee. The building has working utilities. I can't think of anything else but i have to give 20 words.

Cons

The pay is extremely low for the amount of calls taken with, about 10-12k a month. I've never worked in a call center that offers zero bonus structure. No additional pay for working 10-7. No team building excercises ever. The call center manager speaks to you like you are stupid. The lawyer's run the show and think they can scream at you, your manager will do nothing about the lack of respect. This law firm is also very pricey, they are only for Dad's so can afford them.

Cordell & Cordell2015-09-21