Core Digital Media Reviews

Updated Apr 24, 2020

4.0
Core Digital Media CEO Jeff Hughes (no image)
Jeff Hughes
Pros
  • "Good work life balance approach with great HR team(in 9 reviews)

• "There are some really smart people who work there, and leadership does seem to really care about the team members(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "but restrooms can use more space(in 3 reviews)

• "Very fast paced environment and people's plan always gets interrupted by end of day(in 3 reviews)

1. COVID-19

"Genuine culture, Amazing team members, and Caring CEO"

Current Employee - Current Employee

I have been working at Core Digital Media full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent work life balance with unlimited PTO, understanding colleagues, and we are even encouraged to take time off while working remote to rest and relax. Culture is huge here and it really shows with the CEO checking in on people individually during COVID-19 when we all went remote. Co-workers, referred to as Team Members here are friendly, welcoming, and bond with one another easily despite not working together or being in the same department. The CEO Jeff, is really transparent (one of the company's core values) with the company's vision, goals, and how the business is doing overall. He truly cares about his employees and values their opinion.

Cons

Nothing major sticks out at the moment.

2. COVID-19

"CEO Leads With Empathy | Company Culture + Coworkers = 5 Stars"

I have been working at Core Digital Media full-time

Pros

- You're not just a number here. When you start, it's likely everyone already knows your name and what you'll be working on. Expect lots of smiles and hellos. During 'shelter in place', expect to be added to some fun slack channels :) - The CEO communicates well across all levels of the organization and consistently leads with empathy. - The company takes employee feedback to heart and is transparent about what they prioritize and why. - Work-life balance is not a myth, and it actually exists here! If I work late, it's because I want to put in extra time, not because it's mandated.

Cons

I can't think of any at the moment.

3. "Great Job"

Current Employee - Media Buyer in Playa Vista, CA

I have been working at Core Digital Media full-time

Pros

People, Hard Work, Great place to work

Cons

Disconnect between employee and leadership needs

4. "GREAT!"

Former Employee - Marketing Systems Analyst in Irvine, CA

I worked at Core Digital Media full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Culture, great managers, great benefits

Cons

not much of a con...but restrooms can use more space

"Great people, great place to learn, fun culture"

Current Employee - Leader in Playa Vista, CA

I have been working at Core Digital Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Without a doubt, the other people are the number one thing I love about CDM. They talk about having a "no a-hole" rule and they really do practice that. There are some really smart people who work there, and leadership does seem to really care about the team members. Recently, there's been a renewed focus on mission and purpose and doing something beyond just making money. It's a message that seems to be resonating. There are all the other perks like free meals, company outings, tickets to concerts and games, unlimited PTO, half day Fridays during the summer, pretty good comp compared to the market - but feels like everybody has that now. So for me it's really about the opportunity to work with smart people on interesting problems.

Cons

Not everybody is smart and sometimes management hangs on too long "hoping" that someone is going to turn it around. Like a lot of small companies, sometimes they have to promote people into leadership positions who may not be ready or suited for those roles. I think they realize it and try to help them.

Continue reading

"Great company, team members & culture"

Former Employee - Executive in Playa Vista, CA

I worked at Core Digital Media full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Great place to work in Playa Vista in online marketing, technology and data science - Amazing culture of work hard and play harder where internal team members are developed and promoted - Strong benefits programs from comp to 401k to vacation policy - Good work life balance approach with great HR team

Cons

- if you are not a self starter, this is not the right fit - if you don't like data, solving complicated marketing problems and real time adjustment and learning to market conditions than this is not the right fit - if you are not driven to win this is not the right place.

"Abusive tech department"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Playa Vista, CA

I worked at Core Digital Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

I like this one from a review: "Free Greasy/Subpar Breakfast Fridays???? Free excel classes". I'd add:<br> Nice people<br> Helpful HR<br> Location<br> Parking<br> Spacious office

Cons

Many tech managers (so called "leaders") with obsolete knowledge and weak leadership skills, have nothing else to do but conducting endless meetings with no agendas and no conclusions. <br> Tech managers don't read, don't present or speak about technical subjects, don't help, don't give good advice, don't code or create any valuable artifact. All they do, arrange meetings via Microsoft Outlook (which they love so much) with no agenda and no clear objectives.<br> Tech managers are considered untouchable. If someone complains about any manager (in or out of tech department), they will be shut down by the greatest force possible. They take it personally being insecure and incompetent. <br> You are not allowed to ask any questions that might make them think that you want to remotely challenge their high table. Do it at your own risk. <br> Tech managers consider themselves as part of a higher class or cast of the CDM society. They genuinely have no respect for their subordinates. Also they have no filters. They say whatever comes to their mind. They speak with no evidence, choose words loosely, insult and attack people, read your mind, put words in your mouth and punish you for it.

"Not satisfy"

I worked at Core Digital Media

Pros

- fairly good benefits - friendly and helpful HR

Cons

- project management seems not going well. Agile methodology seems to be new to the team. - not much technical works to do for software engineering.

9. "Great Place To Work"

I have been working at Core Digital Media full-time

Pros

metrics driven organization full of fun people

Cons

i dont have anything bad to say

"Minimal work life balance, unclear vacation policy, management problems"

Former Employee - Project Management in Playa Vista, CA

I worked at Core Digital Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pros: Really not many pro’s other than the regular office write-offs that most millennial focused companies offer to include: - Free breakfast on Friday's (although these are disappearing fast) - The office is nice and modern - Regular onsite training with free lunches

Cons

Factory Style Time Management Practices in Tech: Non Transparent vacation policy. Hours worked counted and tracked by HR and management to gauge loyalty, often leads to technology worker’s sticking around to late in the night as fear based practices of job security remain. One particular instance I will never forget is the great fires of 2017 and how the 405 was barely passable from the SFV. My manager, who seemed unfit for the position, acted as though this was not the case and didn't allow me to work from home even though I physically couldn’t get to Playa Vista from the San Fernando Valley. Eventually HR stepped in and sorted it out but it was just one highlight of inappropriate behavior from a problem manager. Advice to HR would be to rename the vacation policy “ if your manager likes you enough to let you off - but you must work harder to compensate “. For instance, when asking my manager for time-off to return home to visit family which was totally within the acceptable two weeks standard per year, the response would astound any working professional in technology today. “ Why do you you want to go home, I can’t just grant you time-off for no reason”. The manager, a grating autocratic persona who exhibited no empathy for the team with which they managed forced me to divulge information of unwell family members for apparent valid reasoning to approve my time off. The time-off request was made aware to the manager in April 2018 for a trip to occur in September, more than 6 months notice for a period of one week. In addition to the distasteful (and I don’t know - illegal?) practices within which I was forced to request time-off, the manager then made it her mission to find projects that I would need to take on in order to “ make up for the week I was taking off “. For an employee like myself, I get that when personnel time is coming up, one usually puts in extra effort to ensure sufficient coverage etc. But these situations were by-far-and-large out of the ordinary. While verbally “ approving “ the week off, the manager continually brought it up in my weekly 1/1’s as a bargaining tool, and actually didn’t officially approve the request in ADP until 1 day prior to my departure. HR acknowledged the inappropriate behavior and replaced that manager with a junior counterpart, which made matters worse as this person was untrained, had poor people skills, and sought endless spreadsheets with colors and fine details to illustrate big picture work. Micromanaged. The ordeal ended with 50% of the team securing employment with competitors and left a visible mental scar, and a solid “ bad experience “ in our collective career histories. It was unreal. Our team had invented jokes in order to tolerate and process the behavior we were collectively experiencing. When late by 10-15 minutes in the morning (not hard to do in LA) we would joke that one would receive “ corporal punishment “ for the occurrence. Not at all the type of thing people think they would experience in a job, on the west coast, in sunny california, in 2018. Word of warning for job seekers. If you’re in need of a paycheck and value a work-life balance, do not apply for jobs or interview with this company. In anticipation of the HR response. This review is not that of a disgruntled ex-employee but someone who wanted to share their experience in order to help prospective job-seekers going forward. If half the people were to share their experiences here more often, then I think HR would be motivated to try and deal with their organizational problems, instead of hoping they will go away. Other cons: - Work estimation techniques flawed - Culture Of Chaos - Low integrity - Bullying

Core Digital Media Response

Recruiting Manager

We appreciate the feedback in this review and we have been, and will continue to, address concerns brought forth by current and former employees. We believe this review is not an accurate representation of our company culture nor the management style we promote within the organization. We thank you in advance for reading this and considering our point of view Core Digital Media strongly supports its employees and that has been reflected in our Great Places to Work award we received this year. This award is generated through employee response to a vigorous vetting process where only the top companies are awarded this honor. In fact we recently made the Best Small & Medium Workplace list for 2018 Our average tenure at CDM is 6 years with non-leader tenure at 5 years. We believe this demonstrates a company culture built on trust and career growth. Our vacation policy is similar to many companies across the industry and is made clear to employees before and after they join, as well as found in our employee handbook. Hours worked are not tracked for any purpose outside of payroll and certainly not to gauge loyalty. We have a flexible time off policy where the employee requests time off, and the manager must approve it, and the business must be able to accommodate the employee being out of the office. Across our organization our employees are taking, on average, just under 4 weeks of vacation per year. As a company we value a work/life balance and encourage vacations as we realize the value of time away from the office. While we strive to provide an environment where all employees can succeed and feel empowered we realize that at times issues can arise between the employee and their manager. In the instances described in this review, HR was made aware and stepped in to resolve the issue - including switching to a new manager in an effort to resolve the issue. We do not encourage a micromanagement style for our managers. That being said, if there is poor performance that warrants more attention and guidance from a manager, we will address that accordingly. If an employee is consistently late, missing meetings, providing false information, and not performing the duties of the role, the manager is forced to intervene and work to resolve these behaviors. This sort of behavior is not tolerated due to the effect on the business as well as the effect on the team members within the department. As an organization we take accusations of bullying, fear and abusive behavior very seriously. We have looked into, and will continue to monitor any accusation of this sort. That is not who we are as a company and we will do whatever we can to prevent this. Finally, as an organization we plan fun events for the company that will get them out of the office and allow them to socialize with employees outside of their department. These events are not mandatory to attend and have no bearing on a discount on health insurance or our wellness program. These events are simply an opportunity to take a break and have some fun with your coworkers and they are well received within the organization. We appreciate the feedback and will do our best to learn from this. We feel that we have an amazing company culture as well as the best employees. We work hard every day to maintain this culture, and work with our employees on career growth all while running a successful business.

Found 54 reviews