Core Digital Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Steve Krenzer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place To Work"

I have been working at Core Digital Media full-time

Pros

metrics driven organization full of fun people

Cons

i dont have anything bad to say

"Customer Service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA

I worked at Core Digital Media (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Strong company culture - attempt at being transparent as a company.
    -Managers are invested with both company objectives and employee moral.
    -Structure with goal

Cons

-can be a challenge to move up in the company.

"Minimal work life balance, unclear vacation policy, management problems"

Former Employee - Project Management in Playa Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Project Management in Playa Vista, CA

Pros

Pros:
    Really not many pro’s other than the regular office write-offs that most millennial focused companies offer to include:

- Free breakfast on Friday's (although these are disappearing fast)
    - The office is nice and modern
    - Regular onsite training with free lunches

Cons

Factory Style Time Management Practices in Tech:

Non Transparent vacation policy. Hours worked counted and tracked by HR and management to gauge loyalty, often leads to technology worker’s sticking around to late in the night as fear based practices of job security remain.

One particular instance I will never forget is the great fires of 2017 and how the 405 was barely passable from the SFV. My manager, who seemed unfit for the position, acted as though this was not the case and didn't allow me to work from home even though I physically couldn’t get to Playa Vista from the San Fernando Valley. Eventually HR stepped in and sorted it out but it was just one highlight of inappropriate behavior from a problem manager.

Advice to HR would be to rename the vacation policy “ if your manager likes you enough to let you off - but you must work harder to compensate “. For instance, when asking my manager for time-off to return home to visit family which was totally within the acceptable two weeks standard per year, the response would astound any working professional in technology today.

“ Why do you you want to go home, I can’t just grant you time-off for no reason”.

The manager, a grating autocratic persona who exhibited no empathy for the team with which they managed forced me to divulge information of unwell family members for apparent valid reasoning to approve my time off.

The time-off request was made aware to the manager in April 2018 for a trip to occur in September, more than 6 months notice for a period of one week. In addition to the distasteful (and I don’t know - illegal?) practices within which I was forced to request time-off, the manager then made it her mission to find projects that I would need to take on in order to “ make up for the week I was taking off “.

For an employee like myself, I get that when personnel time is coming up, one usually puts in extra effort to ensure sufficient coverage etc. But these situations were by-far-and-large out of the ordinary.

While verbally “ approving “ the week off, the manager continually brought it up in my weekly 1/1’s as a bargaining tool, and actually didn’t officially approve the request in ADP until 1 day prior to my departure.

HR acknowledged the inappropriate behavior and replaced that manager with a junior counterpart, which made matters worse as this person was untrained, had poor people skills, and sought endless spreadsheets with colors and fine details to illustrate big picture work. Micromanaged.

The ordeal ended with 50% of the team securing employment with competitors and left a visible mental scar, and a solid “ bad experience “ in our collective career histories.

It was unreal. Our team had invented jokes in order to tolerate and process the behavior we were collectively experiencing. When late by 10-15 minutes in the morning (not hard to do in LA) we would joke that one would receive “ corporal punishment “ for the occurrence. Not at all the type of thing people think they would experience in a job, on the west coast, in sunny california, in 2018.

Word of warning for job seekers. If you’re in need of a paycheck and value a work-life balance, do not apply for jobs or interview with this company.

In anticipation of the HR response. This review is not that of a disgruntled ex-employee but someone who wanted to share their experience in order to help prospective job-seekers going forward.

If half the people were to share their experiences here more often, then I think HR would be motivated to try and deal with their organizational problems, instead of hoping they will go away.
    Other cons:

- Work estimation techniques flawed
    - Culture Of Chaos
    - Low integrity
    - Bullying

Advice to Management

Clean House: In general large parts of the technology department should be replaced as its turned into a top-heavy department with fear based tactics used regularly. There are technical subject matter technical experts fully focused on scheduling, instead of solving problems or doing the work. This should not be overlooked. In my opinion, there are vast amounts of occurrences with hoarding of information and silo mentality. The complete middle management should be disassembled and new hires should be brought onto the teams. The majority of new hires are junior/mid level, with the senior employees having the bulk of tenure. People leave quickly too.

Do more to discourage abusive behavior: This should be taken seriously. There is large scale behavioral issues existing throughout this organization from inappropriate dress to a problem with gossiping and bullying.Do more than attending some trainings on how to combat and discourage this behavior and actively take action when it rears its head.

Really just need to increase the trust. You’ve lost it totally and organizing a timed game of football outside feels more like forced socialization than team building as these are often required attendance in order to qualify for discounted health insurance.

Core Digital Media Response

Oct 24, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

We appreciate the feedback in this review and we have been, and will continue to, address concerns brought forth by current and former employees. We believe this review is not an accurate... More

"Great company, great culture, great work life balance."

Former Employee - Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Core Digital Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Transparent company, everyone is aware of the business goals.

Cons

Lead generation is not the most interesting field to be in

"Verbally and Emotionally Abusive Company"

I worked at Core Digital Media full-time

Pros

Free Greasy/Subpar Breakfast Fridays????
    Free excel classes

Cons

- Internal Promotions? Nope ---only for the 10 favorite employees
    - Transparent? Nope
    - Bully employees? Yup
    - Verbally and Emotionally abusive Director? Yup, especially to women!
    - Several employees had to seek therapy for abuse by their managers? Yup. The first 3 sessions were covered by the co, but everyone needed more than 3 sessions.
    - Manager wrote a bullying list on team member on an internal website and HR did nothing
    - Employees lied to about when they will get promoted? Yup! I was specifically told I was being promoted to another department and then another day told I wasn't good enough.
    - Manager is allowed to make personal phone calls all day long and shop shop shop shop on the internet? Yup
    - Director tells their employees that they will never get promoted because they are not good enough. They offered no reasoning after that when pressed for actual performance data.
    - Manager hoards all the work and projects for years so no other employees can contribute to get promoted...which leads to every employee in the department leaving
    - Company promotes mental health with yoga, but being verbally abusive to employees is acceptable?????

Advice to Management

STOP FOCUSING ON THE SO CALLED CULTURE AND LISTEN LISTEN TO THE EMPLOYEES WHO ARE SPEAKING UP...THE TURN OVER IS SO HIGH ..RED FLAGS...15 + EMPLOYEES QUITTING IN 3-5 MONTH PERIOD. THE MIDDLE MANAGEMENT ARE THE ISSUES NOT THE EMPLOYEES

Core Digital Media Response

Oct 24, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

As an organization, we actively solicit feedback and input on goals, objectives, and process. Current employees have significant means to communicate directly with all levels of management. We... More

"Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Playa Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Playa Vista, CA

I worked at Core Digital Media (More than a year)

Pros

great company culture and people. long tenured employees show tremendous loyalty and strong bonds. salary is competitive and the so are the benefits.

Cons

employee ownership or 'stock' in the company unclear; legacy technology

"Review"

I worked at Core Digital Media full-time

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits. Plenty of growth opportunity. Senior management guides the company very well.

Cons

Horseplay galore. Worthless fraternizing HR. Personality and perception trump performance. Malignant narcissism will get you to middle management.

"Coming to work never felt like work! Truly sad to leave."

Former Employee - Marketing Systems/Ad Ops in Playa Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Systems/Ad Ops in Playa Vista, CA

I worked at Core Digital Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Choosing to work at Core Digital Media was one of the best decisions of my life. Not only was this a pivotal point in growing my career, I made really great friends and interacted with the most brilliant minds I've ever known. Everyone is down to earth and hard working. The competitive landscape continuously drives our 'winning' culture. Coming to work never felt like work. I felt challenged, engaged, and every day I was learning something new.

Pros include the following:
    -Managers who care about your personal and professional growth
    -Work/life balance is respected
    -Charity outreach
    -Breakfast every Friday
    -Half-day Summer Friday's
    -Professional/personal training courses

Cons

I don't have any. I didn't leave the company on a bad note. I left because an opportunity came my way and I had to take it..

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

"Care for employees is great. Business is a bit shady"

I worked at Core Digital Media full-time

Pros

Awesome work environment. Very caring upper management. Fair salaries

Cons

What is promised on the ads v/s what people get after filling up the form could be very different. That why I call it a bit shady.

"Great company - it's all about the people!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA

I worked at Core Digital Media (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Core Digital Media as a manager of a fairly large team. I also had the opportunity to work with colleagues from all other departments. It is probably hard to believe but I truly enjoyed working with every single person there, whether it's top management or a team member. The company encourages a very open and positive work culture. To name a few things I really love about the company:
    *Management is very receptive to changes. As a manager I was able to own the processes and shape my team. The business is constantly changing so it's good to be able to make decisions without constantly being questioned.
    *Feedback/evaluation system is effective. I saw a lot of one-on-one meetings between managers and their staff. Managers truly care about the development and growth of their team members and are willing to invest the time to do so.
    *Upper management makes good effort to be transparent. Road shows and all hands meetings to communicate update financials and strategic visions are always scheduled to make sure employees stay informed.

Cons

Too much dessert and food offerings!!! Hard to not gain weight if you work there!