Core-Mark Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 5, 2017

1.0
Tom Perkins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good benefits, pay good, friendly people to work with (in 15 reviews)

• good pay good benefits, with nice building and new equipment (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long hours worked everyday (in 19 reviews)

• There is little or no work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

1. "Forklift operator"

Former Employee - Everything in Henderson, NV
    Former Employee - Everything in Henderson, NV

I worked at Core-Mark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Union insurance , overtime, day shift hours

Cons

Hours , management, co-workers and pay

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage before excepting a position as such

2. "Worst company I've ever worked for."

Former Employee - Inventory Specialist
    Former Employee - Inventory Specialist

I worked at Core-Mark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros. Pay is crap for the work load..
    No pros. Pay is crap for the work load

Cons

HR doesn't help employees. Constant sexual harrasment from "veteran" employees, nothing ever happens after their "investigation. Management is dirty. Management doesnt listen to employee complaints. If you complain, you get fired.

Advice to Management

Instead of bringing in people from other divisions to replace, hire new, fresh managment.

3. "BEFORE you even waste your time applying here, it is VERY IMPORTANT that you read this review!"

Former Employee - Night Order Selector, Day Warehouse in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Night Order Selector, Day Warehouse in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Core-Mark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Fast-paced environment;
    2. Off-Saturdays, for the exceptions of the weeks of Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day (see 'Cons' below);
    3. With the high volume of turnover (see 'Cons' below), it won't take long for you to gain seniority;
    4. Tuition reimbursement after 13 months - THAT IS, if you make it that far.
    5. There's an ice dispenser and a vending machine in the break room.

Cons

Ladies & gentlemen, JUST A HEADS-UP, this Cons list is VERY LONG; if you have a few minutes, PLEASE take the time to read below...TRUST ME!

1. Core-Mark undergoes SO MUCH turnover (see next paragraph) that management imposes a stipulation on all new hires in which they will deduct the cost of the pre-employment drug screen & background check (almost $200) from your final paycheck if you either quit or get terminated before the end of the 90-day probation period. Management keeps that fact hidden from you until AFTER you have already signed the new-hire paperwork. I don't know if it's just the Albuquerque division, or if ALL divisions employ this tactic, but that is a sign of POOR MANAGEMENT (see three paragraphs below). You know that there is a problem with management if they try to reduce turnover with the aforementioned tactic.

2. NO WONDER WHY THEY'RE ALWAYS HIRING...there is a HIGH volume of turnover! During the six months that I worked there, it seemed like every day, there was a constant cycle of employees either quitting, getting terminated, calling in sick or failing to show up. If EVEN ONE employee called in sick, let alone six (which happened on one of my last nights working there), that really messed everything up! It causes one or multiple departments to fall behind, as well as trucks not departing on time. Some turnover can be prevented...there was one night around Christmas, in which three employees were fired after being caught drinking in the parking lot! That really ticked me off, and forced several other employees to pick up the slack!

3. WAY TOO MANY HOURS! In the spring of 2017, all divisions of Core-Mark switched from five eights to four 10-hour shifts, and from a five- to a six-day per week operation, excluding Saturdays. HERE'S THE FINE PRINT: What was supposed to be a 10-hour shift from 3pm-1:30am was being stretched to 16-17 hour marathons...until 6am or 7am THE FOLLOWING MORNING!! I was leaving when I was physically unable to continue, and it occurred on several occasions, before the work was done. Management doesn't care if someone faints or falls asleep on the warehouse floor! Even supervisors were having problems with the long hours. I was more concerned about driving home safely, brushing my teeth, getting the proper amount of rest, showering and fixing a quick 10-minute meal...JUST TO BE BACK AT WORK THE NEXT DAY!!

4. POOR MANAGEMENT. As mentioned in the previous paragraph, Core-Mark tries to run you into the ground with the marathon hours. As the result of the switch to four 10-hour shifts, MANY employees (myself included) either threatened, were forced to quit or did indeed quit, due to at least one of the following reasons: (1) a child care issue, (2) a school schedule, (3) a second job, (4) a transportation problem or (5) attitude. Management seemed unfazed...they only care about filling orders for all the trucks, and will work you to the bone to get all the trucks done, including cleanup. There is little or no work/life balance.

5. THE HOLIDAY SEASON. Core-Mark does not operate on Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year's Day, HOWEVER, they all require a make-up day. For example, you have to work on the Saturday nearest to all three holidays. Prior to the switch from a five- to a six-day operation, the Sunday-Thursday night shift had to make up for the Thanksgiving holiday on a Friday night, while the Monday-Friday day shift was required to come in on a Saturday.

6. LOW SALARY FOR A MENTALLY & PHYSICALLY-EXHAUSTING JOB. You do get a workout, but the pay could be better, especially for the lumpers.

Advice to Management

WHAT ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO...WORK AND SLEEP AT THE SAME TIME!? WE ARE HUMAN BEINGS, NOT ROBOTS!

4. "Employees aren't important"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Core-Mark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good insurance, ok pay for some bad pay for others.

Cons

They don't consider employees their best resource. They treat employees as disposable. You never see management out walking the floor and checking on what goes on put there. Policies aren't enforced and it's like a zoo. Low morel.

Advice to Management

Get more involved and take care of your employees.

5. "maintenance manager"

Former Employee - Maintenance Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Maintenance Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Core-Mark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

some nice people to work with

Cons

management doesn't know how to handle problems

Advice to Management

back up your managers

6. "Stay Far Awaythey will not pay you!"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Everett, WA

I worked at Core-Mark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None unless you work for free

Cons

They think you work for free and don't want to pay you!

Advice to Management

Fire all of them and start with fresh management

7. "Stay away"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Core-Mark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no positive things about working for this company.

Cons

Terrible work environment. Upper management showed little or no concern for hourly associates. As a former supervisor, I recommend staying as far away as possible.

8. "DON'T WORK FOR CORE-MARK"

I have been working at Core-Mark full-time

Pros

One of the good things about this job is that you can basically work as many hours as you want.

Cons

The bad parts about Core-Mark is how you are almost expected to work well over 10hrs a day, bad scheduling, and your lunch will keep getting stolen.

Advice to Management

Work out how you schedule people so that we have days off where we can do something other than sleep and put a camera or something on the fridge so i can at least eat my lunch.

"Stay away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I have been working at Core-Mark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people
    Corporate seems like they want it to be a good place to work

Cons

Management. There is only 1 salary person that has any idea what is going on in the place.
    Nobody is held accountable for their actions.

Advice to Management

Treat your good workers like humans and not like slaves. Just because they're reliable doesnt mean they're willing to take the abuse.

10. "Eye opening to just how bad a corporation can be to their labor."

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker

I have been working at Core-Mark full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I now know the warning signs that i am working for a toxic money hungry take no prisoner and acquire other companies and kill jobs style of corporations and how that philosophy spills over and is applied to the treatment of employees. Truly you are nothing but a employee number and a liability.

Cons

Not unionized if anyone needs a union it's the workers of this corporation. Canadian divisions are union.

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter what my advice is I'm not a shareholder.