CorePower Yoga Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CorePower Yoga CEO Eric Kufel
Eric Kufel

Pros
Cons
  • Too much emphasis on selling teacher training packages, up-selling their extensions program and boot camps (in 17 reviews)

• he SET members in (northern California) only receive minimum wage since opening in the Bay area fall of 2014 (in 11 reviews)

1. "SET -- Set Experience Team"

Current Employee - SET Member in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - SET Member in Boston, MA

I have been working at CorePower Yoga part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounted yoga and great discount if you decide to do a teacher training program! Also discount on membership, along with free towel and mat at your base studio. Also, since many people are on the team there's always someone looking for a sub, so it's easy to make more money, especially if you plan on being at the studio for class anyway.

Cons

Only pays minimum wage, wish Black Tag Membership was a bit cheaper.

Advice to Management

More team events! Or in person mixers so we can get to know everyone on the team.

2. "Love it!"

Current Employee - Team Member in Redondo Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Redondo Beach, CA

I have been working at CorePower Yoga (Less than a year)

Pros

Great perks and wonderful work environment!

Cons

Low maximum of hours a week.

Advice to Management

You are awesome!

"Community is great, company is not"

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at CorePower Yoga full-time

Pros

-amazing community
    - great yoga atmosphere
    - thorough TT program

Cons

- managers are asked to wear too many hats
    - no support from corporate
    - corporate continues to roll out more and more initiatives to already burnt out teachers and manager
    - too many new, inexperienced teachers
    - low pay
    - zero work life balance for managers

Advice to Management

- pay your teachers more! They are the people that are holding up your company! It's no surprise that all the senior teachers leave because the pay is terrible
    - focus on making your employees happy rather than how to make more money selling TT.

"Namastay Gold"

Former Employee - Retail Specialist/Yoga Instructor/Programming Coach in Seattle, WA

I worked at CorePower Yoga full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Provides a platform on which to practice-teach as a newly minted yoga instructor. The feedback culture is a wonderful idea, but can easily stray into the bullying arena if left unchecked. I was once given 3 weeks to find "more bass in my core segment music" in a QA session with a studio manager. Seriously. It took some real commitment to Sparkle Motion, but I pulled it off.
    Retail positions, which no longer exist, came with some great perks.
    W-2 status was once unheard of for yoga teachers in this region, which made CPY a desirable option for those who don't want the hassle of maintaining their own license, insurance and taxes. But that's in the rear view mirror now, as more studios ditch the contract employee module - and offer higher wages, to boot.
    Free yoga as an employee benefit is a cool concept, but the quality of classes had dipped so low by the time I moved on that I seldom took advantage.
    Discounted continuing ed held the most value for me. . .but most in-house training in other industries is free.

Cons

The pay is insultingly low, and the latest installment of the CPY 5 checklist (which includes a tally of how many students you've recruited for the constant Teacher Training) as a means towards earning an hourly increase makes it very hard to achieve anything noteworthy. The constant pressure to sell Teacher Trainings is stressful, lends itself to an inauthentic class experience and interrupts the natural art of connecting with the student community. Said Trainings are actually just schooling candidates in how to teach CPY branded set sequences, without any verified resident experts to guide them along. In my last bout as a TT coach, a woman on my team had represented herself as a midwife and proceeded to hand out irresponsible advice, such as "pregnant women should never engage their core," to future teachers with great authority. Turned out she had read some books on the topic, but was in no way certified. Certifiable, perhaps. But I digress. Teacher Training grads are sold the CPY Extensions Program as a way to qualify for a class audition. In short, this is on the job training which is paid for my the trainees.
    Unless you are on "the management track," and O.K. with basically running things as a Studio Assistant (a mandatory step towards becoming a fully fledged manager) for minimum wage, you'll likely not find full time employment - and the benefits which come along with it - within reach. But, if you do, it will be your responsibility to ensure that your work hours are logged in the notoriously glitchy system. When my retail team was laid off after the current CEO took the helm, my weekly average had mysteriously dropped down to one hour under the minimum to maintain full time status, and thus my healthcare was revoked. Obviously, none of these factors combine to create a fun work environment, conducive to maintaining the right kind of energy to share inside a yoga class.

"Retail"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at CorePower Yoga full-time

Pros

fun company-- great events at corporate and community interactions, free yoga membership for yourself and another person, get to wear yoga pants to work everyday :)

Cons

Very low paying....the difference between higher ups and everyone else is insane, extremely difficult to advance etc. be very cautious if you are going out for a position on the retail team...it can be a toxic environment unless you are a pushover and don't care about being treated poorly

6. "Studio Experience Team (SET) Member"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at CorePower Yoga part-time

Pros

Discounted rate on your yoga membership in exchange for a pretty minimal weekly commitment - just one 1.5 hour shift per week to tidy up your "home" studio.

Cons

CorePower encourages people to join SET to deepen their connection to the CorePower community. But I feel far more welcome when I show up to the studio as a student about to take a class, than I do as a SET member about to mop up sweat and shine up the bathrooms. It's weird. The teachers I'm cleaning the studio for rarely if ever greet me with a hello or thank you when I show up or leave my shift; it's like I'm suddenly not part of the community and more like the lowly anonymous janitor who should quietly and discretely clean up the mess and then disappear. Sometimes I've had questions (and there was actually someone around to ask), like where do I find certain infrequently used supplies, or how do I deal with equipment that needs maintenance, and I've received either impatient responses in the tone of "why are you asking me, that's supposed to be your job," or condescending responses in the tone of "duh, why don't you know this yet." I'm sure not ALL teachers and managers treat SET members like second-class employees, but the fact that some do speaks volumes about CorePower employment culture.

Bottom line to job-seekers: Being on the Studio Experience Team is a great way to defray the cost of pricey monthly membership, but don't get your hopes up that you'll automatically get that warm and fuzzy community feel. Enjoy the discount, be confident in your personal self-worth so you can keep up a positive attitude, and remember that the quality of any corporate job (even yoga studio cleaner!) is partly influenced by the character of your managers and immediate co-workers. Switch your shift or quit if you find the people you're surrounded by drag you down instead of lifting you up, and live your yoga even if others don't do the same.

Advice to Management

I've overheard managers and teachers express exasperation that some SET members either don't do a great job, or tend to flake out and not show up for shifts. If other SET members are having an experience similar to mine, then there's a REASON for this! No one feels good about showing up for a low-wage part-time job where you don't feel acknowledged or appreciated, especially not at a yoga (!) studio that talks a big game about fostering connection and community and the value of service to others, but then dishes out the exact opposite.

"Great community, pay is low"

Current Employee - Yoga Instructor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Yoga Instructor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CorePower Yoga part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free yoga! As well as a fun community of people with common interests. Also opportunity to pick up lots of sub shifts.

Cons

They are somewhat strict on what and how you teach, which can create robot yoga teachers... The pay is lower than other studios and even gyms.

Advice to Management

Pay should be equal with surrounding studios, it doesn't make teachers feel valued to know that we are being paid less than gyms, and other studios.

"Karma Team"

Current Employee - Karma Team in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Karma Team in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at CorePower Yoga part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company culture, management commitment to work/life balance, access to facilities, ability to work for your membership fees

Cons

some cleaning shifts are harder than others

Advice to Management

keep it up, you guys are amazing.

9. "LOVE."

Current Employee - Yoga Teacher in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Yoga Teacher in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at CorePower Yoga part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have absolutely loved my time working at CorePower Yoga. There is so much positive energy, love, and encouragement. It is a healthy work place with people who are there for positive reasons.

Cons

I can't think of any downsides; I have enjoyed every second!

"CorePower Yoga"

Current Employee - Yoga Teacher in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Yoga Teacher in Boston, MA

I have been working at CorePower Yoga part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun people
    Flexible schedule
    Lots of classes to pick up

Cons

Greedy company
    Pay rates way lower than competitors
    Poor top management
    Ask you to volunteer your time without pay even though they are a for profit company