CoreSite Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 3, 2017

2.0
Paul E. Szurek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance is emphasized and managers are easy to talk to and open to opinions and suggestions (in 4 reviews)

• Inspirational CEO, albeit a bit intimidating - still inspiring to listen to his knowledge of the industry, and passion for customer service (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Out of the leading data center REITS, CoreSite is the only one that does not have an international presence (in 5 reviews)

• This is most apparent with the CEO pushing out most of the senior management team (CTO, COO, CFO, GC, and SVPs) over the last 4 or 5 years (in 2 reviews)

1. "They struggle to manage thier own growth"

Pros

Salaries are commensurate with peers

Cons

Navy culture is widespread in the Field Operations group. Many bottle necks and silos. Training and IT support is minimal, strong leadership is lacking at almost every level of management and in every department. This unfortunate management culture is leftover from previous CEO's tenure and just starting to change with new CEO but it will be quite some time before Coresite is a team oriented, cohesive management team with a forward thinking and employee focused culture.

Advice to Management

Your message to staff feels insincere because complaints fall on deaf ears within you management teams. Sweeping changes to the current culture to improve employee engagement, loyalty, commitment and longevity should be a much higher priority. Enforce your guiding principles through actions not words and work harder to remove the old Navy culture and replace it with a new, more modern, respectful and progressive culture. Hold management and senior leadership accountable. If your employees, are your most valuable asset then prove it to them through actions not sound bites and quarterly "all hands" financial and marketing updates.

2. "Standard perks PTO and medical coverage."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at CoreSite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid time off increases after number of years worked. The incentive payouts were not bad at all.

Cons

Mandatory scheduling to cover other employee PTO. Revolving door of employee layoffs or those looking for better opportunity.

3. "Tyranny"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at CoreSite full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are still some good people in the company and in Senior Leadership. The office space in Denver is nice. Management employees receive stock grants.

Cons

This company has been on the cusp of something good for so long and I think the CEO knows this which is why he has stuck around. I give him credit for tying to get us there but he really gets in his own way quite often - we have missed out on some great acquisition opportunities and have not expanded into any new markets in quite a while, the company intranet was a disaster for the longest time, and personnel management and politics remain a major issue.

Advice to Management

The CEO has his hand in everything, we would be much better off if the other executives were not micro-managed instead being allowed to work their specialty and pursue the best interests of the company.

"Poorly managed projects with no guidance and a lot of "it's not my job" being thrown around."

I worked at CoreSite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think the people at a company are what make a company work and work well. I would say overall, you have a lot of nice people hard working people at this company. The pay is above average and the new space recently moved into is beautiful and state of the art.

Cons

The challenges of this company is there is a lot of finger pointing going on with no accountability. I think many of the managers are not in the correct positions or are not given enough information to make their employees productive and efficient. I feel like the CEO is far too much into the 'Rah Rah' let's go out there and rock it mentality and not sure they really know what they are doing. This should go highly noticed to the board of directors with the recent turnover in the last 6 months of almost the entire SLT.

Advice to Management

I would put this more to the board of directors. Get a CEO and SLT team in there that holds some accountability for the misses on the many projects that were failed on in the last year. Put people in a position to succeed, not to falter because of lack of guidance, consistency or people in positions far beyond their skill set.

"Hiring the competition doesn't solve the underlying issues!"

Pros

Generally good people, good benefits, and a modest concern for the welfare of each employee, actually trying to come up with positive things to say is difficult.

Cons

- Executive team listens to the wrong people
    - Data centers are mostly refurbished/retrofitted buildings that should not be a data center in first place
    - Executive team is some of the most arrogant people I have had the opportunity to associate with
    - Unwritten policy to hire competitors, to include their most recent hire from Equinix to fill the COO position. A strategy to compensate for the lack of ability on the Executive Team to include the CEO
    - This idea that a company with 12 data centers can compete with a company like Equinix which has 90. It is part of the arrogance of the executive team.
    - Overall client portfolio does not produce the majority of the revenue, once the few larger deals term out this churn will make it difficult for the sales team to replace

Advice to Management

None they wouldn't listen anyway...