Corel Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 19, 2017

1.0
Patrick Nichols

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Employees have good work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Flexible work environment where the results are the most important thing and not when you do it (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant lay-offs, shrinking budgets, uncertainty (in 3 reviews)

• Only thing is Company headquarters are in Ottowa, Canada (in 3 reviews)

1. "Corel's Reliability"

Former Contractor - Videographer/Editor in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Contractor - Videographer/Editor in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Corel as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary was good , but I am more concerned with the reliabilty of the products I am marketing , and the honesty level that they are marketed at. The your experience with a company is plenty of hyperbole , and not enoughBeta tested products , you begin to wonder. I know in the current atmosphere, of leaders always referring to everything they don't like as Fake News, it is hard to seek out the truth , and put out a good product. All I'm saying is Investigate, innovate, or you can go along with the follow , and sell-out.

Cons

I was always asking for Beta tests , but they never tested a product out for a true evaluation . For example , I was "video editing" today, and just got the Alert that the "store.roxie.com" ( that is run by "COREL" - which is also infected with the same virus) .... don't buy ,or download any software from these Sites, they carry a "virus & bot-ware" that could erase your drives !

Advice to Management

Beware a New "Malware Virus" ..I was "video editing" today, and just got the Alert that the "store.roxie.com" ( that is run by "COREL" - which is also infected with the same virus) .... don't buy ,or download any software from these Sites, they carry a "virus & bot-ware" that could erase your drives !

"Declining company"

Pros

Good location
    Smart and engaged employees, easy-to-work with
    Great Products and customers
    Flexible hours

Cons

Highly Political and many conflicts. New executive team unqualified, lack of leadership and authenticity. No strategy for the company. No communication. No interest in customers.
    Seems to be a preference for male employees, especially for management roles.
    Heavy workload (company working as a skeleton). No room to grow. No training or career advancement. Salary below average & no increase. Unrealistic bonus objectives that can’t be achieved

Advice to Management

Work on Cons

3. "Great people, bleak outlook"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Corel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people and working on great products.

Cons

Everything else. Declining software sales paints a pretty bleak picture for the future. Annual restructuring and layoffs to save money. No raises for years. Increased workload due to layoffs. Zero chance for advancement.

"Senior Graphic Designer"

Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Corel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Casual environment, good location, decent benefits

Cons

Unprofessional, high school environment. Management was unqualified. No clear direction for the company. An old boys club.

Advice to Management

Learn how to properly manage. Don't promote and keep people who have had numerous HR complaints made against them by various people.

"the dogs bark, but the caravan goes on..."

I have been working at Corel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- nice but unmotivated co-workers

Cons

- compensation
    - pointless political battles
    - crusades to prove people wrong

Advice to Management

Clean house. Tenure is not a metric for expertise or management prowess. Managers manage. Leaders lead.

"Terrible management and non-stop layoffs"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Taipei (Taiwan)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Taipei (Taiwan)

I worked at Corel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very free culture and flexible schedule, before the 2012 mass layoff there were many cool and new systems and tools to learn and use for daily work projects, some very nice and friendly coworkers, etc.

Cons

The management team is horrible, especially some of the managers in Taiwan who are just lazy and have no sense of responsibility and no clue about what they are doing. Managers of the customer service team and IT team come to work in the late afternoon and leave work at 6 p.m. sharp, so other teams have to cover their work, such as taking phone calls and deal with user complaints and system issues. The executive team in the North America approve this kind of thing as long as they are served well when they visit the Taipei office. Non-stop layoffs and endless re-structuring make the company so hopeless. The Taipei office used to have over 400 people back in 2008 and now only 20 - what a joke.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes please, do not destroy the company so fast. Treat your customers with respect!

"From a Philippine Support"

Current Employee - Mpeg Software Engineer in Makati City (Philippines)
    Current Employee - Mpeg Software Engineer in Makati City (Philippines)

I have been working at Corel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only interesting experience I have gathered in this company is the camaraderie and friends that exists. Everything else goes to hell. Why I am still staying here? It is because of them.

Cons

The PH Team salary for public information has been UNCHANGED (and measly) for over 2 years. We have met the Quotas, we have made clients, we have satisfied clients in large chunks of the portfolio but management clamors for more. The savings and income went to WRONG DECISIONS such as buying another corporation which are NONSENSE. Motivation is NIL. Benefits are planned but perpetually (and) consistently delayed. We are entitled to 10 sick leaves per year, no carry overs and no conversion to cash for unused leaves. And for information of the public view, every time we are on sick leave, a memo is issued to explain after a Medical Certificate had been submitted already. What is it to explain? Should I bring the doctor to explain I am sick?

Advice to Management

You should go back and school and re-take MGT101 again and again, concentrate your assignments on MOTIVATION. And as a reminder: BUYING ANOTHER COMPANY IS NOT A GAIN! Remember that, my goodness.

"No communication and understanding of what really goes on"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Corel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, salary, and flexability is great

Cons

Bad communication and decisions, company is heading in the wrong direction.