Corel Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Patrick Nichols

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Employees have good work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• The work environment is good, we have flexible hours, understanding managers, good work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours to work with overseas (in 3 reviews)

• Upper management is constantly firing people and making poor decision (in 3 reviews)

1. "Software developer"

Pros

Dynamic environment. Fast paced. Lots of creative people working there.

Cons

Need to focus on all technologies

Advice to Management

Work on getting products done on the Mac

2. "sale account manager"

Pros

great brand. everyone knew of the legacy of the products and has good things to say about the products.

Cons

too many changes in management which creates mixed messages for the customers. company changes direction many times

3. "Manager"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Corel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work environment and staff

Cons

Lack of innovation and advancement

Advice to Management

Let region does its work

4. "On the up"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Corel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I felt compelled to add my two cents as Corel has changed a lot in the last two years. True, the company has been through many restructurings and those let go are entitled to their feelings however, we are now a lean and effective organisation. Product life cycles are on a yearly basis so the work never stops and you don't have people hiding in cubes not reporting to anyone. Personally, I think that's a good thing. We might make desktop software but eCommerce is a huge part of the model and strategy/technology employed to deliver new experiences are always evolving. Work in recent years is paying off and results are showing again.

- Work on products used by millions of people
    - Pay typically commensurate with experience
    - Good work/life balance; hours have flexibility and not crazy by any means
    - Hard-working and friendly teams
    - Comprehensive benefits
    - RRSP matching
    - Supplied hardware is good
    - Ottawa office centrally located

Lastly, I don't find folks here complaining about what they're paid. There used to be a lot more of that but in my experience, most in senior positions have worked their way up and everyone is expected to perform. So like any job, ask for what your worth and if it's not enough then move on.

Cons

The reality of being a very lean, VC-owned desktop software company means the pressure is always on. However, management appear to be steering us in the right direction with smart acqusitions and feature enhancements providing value to existing customers, so time will tell.

- Departmental divisions can be tedious
    - Moving up the ranks often slow/impossible
    - Starting holidays could be better but do increase

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency, make your staff feel valued, continue investing.

"Interesting work and great coworkers"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Corel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of interesting projects and engaged co workers.

Cons

Limited mobility and company has been through a lot of changes.

6. "Senior Web and Database Developer"

Current Employee - Senior Web and Database Developer in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Web and Database Developer in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Corel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Corel is an equal opportunity employer. Employees have good work life balance. Work is always interesting and challenging, we have creative freedom to design and develop the module. Colleagues are very supportive and share knowledge.

Cons

Not much to say. Only thing is Company headquarters are in Ottowa, Canada. So the Compnay focus is on growing the team in Canada, Not much attention is given to the employees in CA, US.

Advice to Management

Not much to say. Management is great, they always listen to what employees need.

7. "Lost the direction"

Former Employee - Supervisory Engineer in Taipei (Taiwan)
    Former Employee - Supervisory Engineer in Taipei (Taiwan)

I worked at Corel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good colleagues, talent engineers. People were very nice, helpful, and bright.
    The middle layer managers handle the teams well and continue to improve the development process, including code review, unit tests, continue integration, and keep delivering quality software.

Cons

Not innovative enough to get the customers back.
    The senior manager team is too conservative. They cannot react the market change promptly and properly. Just reduce the cost and not have any strategy to invest for the future.

Advice to Management

Be ambitious to challenge the market leaders. The customers and market are changing. We must be aggressive to meet our customer's expectations and acquire new customers, or we will lose the future.

"Potential opportunity but be careful"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Corel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The employees at Corel are great. It's a very tight place. The developers are very smart. Core products are good and generally well maintained. Miracles performed daily. Equipment is good. Health benefits are good. There may be good opportunities here for someone especially starting out, or someone out of work.

The executive team works out of CA so you only have to listen to them pretend to give a damn about you one or twice a year.

The Ottawa management team I think is doing the best they can with what they have. They're good people honestly.

Cons

Corel was bought out by a VC firm and it's never been the same. Bankruptcy was prevented but the company was gutted in every way possible. Layoffs have been very deep which caused unrecoverable damage to morale which is lukewarm at absolute best unless things have changed very recently which I doubt.

Their most talented developers have already left. Good news is that many now work at Google, Microsoft and other successful places. They got there from what they learned at Corel which is something.

The pay is OK but probably the min they can get away with. Starting vacation is behind the times. Negotiate as absolute high as you can because getting a raise or promotion is nearly impossible.

The office furniture is older than you are.

Advice to Management

Move the Ottawa team to a new building or at least out of the basement. Get some decent chairs. Put some snacks in the fridge. Close the office over Christmas like most other places. Realize that it's a miracle you still have the engineers left that you do.

9. "Great people"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Corel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, benefits are good, decent workload, all around not a bad place to work, they don't pay well

Cons

Upper management is constantly firing people and making poor decision. They won't really appreciate your talent, older office space that's always shrinking

Advice to Management

Show your employee that they matter

10. "Program Engineer"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Headquater is in Ottawa. They have small office in Mountain View. People were very nice, helpful, and bright. Morale is high and people truly believe in what they're working on. Good outlook.

Cons

Pay was average for Silicon Valley. Work life balance is OK. We are only stress out when we have products release to market. Sometimes aggressive and unrealistic schedules, which should be nothing new for competitive SV companies.

Advice to Management

Since Engineer is located over sea, it was hard to get issue resolve for customer. They should hire more talent people to enhance new technology on current products