Corel Reviews | Glassdoor

Corel Reviews

Updated February 17, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management is constantly firing people and making poor decision (in 3 reviews)

• New executive team unqualified, lack of leadership and authenticity (in 3 reviews)

"If you are a grunt level employee, don't bother, but if you are middle-high management, this place is for you."

Current Employee - Part of Grunt Level Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Part of Grunt Level Manager in Mountain View, CA

Pros

The roles are always evolving with market trend and market technology in the software multimedia space and Corel is the market leader in this particular market in many ways. Never boring and always learning (unless again, grunt level)

Cons

Very very top heavy for a small-medium sized company.

Advice to Management

Consolidate each senior managements direction into one and negotiate with the holding interest in the back to make sure the goals are aligned. Too many directions and too many opinions leads to competitor stealing business away.

"Some good people to work with but no directions"

I worked at Corel full-time

Pros

- OK pay and benefits
    - Life/work balance
    - Some very bright and nice people to work with

Cons

- Constant layoffs
    - No vision/direction
    - Very short-sighted outsourcing stragtey from new management who has no idea about the the products are

Advice to Management

It is easy to look at numbers and make calls on what you can see. It is harder to be couragous and taking-risk to head the company to the future growth. Without a mindset change, the company is going away sooner or later.

3. "Interesting work and great coworkers"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Corel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of interesting projects and engaged co workers.

Cons

Limited mobility and company has been through a lot of changes.

5. "Lost the direction"

Former Employee - Supervisory Engineer in Taipei (Taiwan)
    Former Employee - Supervisory Engineer in Taipei (Taiwan)

I worked at Corel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good colleagues, talent engineers. People were very nice, helpful, and bright.
    The middle layer managers handle the teams well and continue to improve the development process, including code review, unit tests, continue integration, and keep delivering quality software.

Cons

Not innovative enough to get the customers back.
    The senior manager team is too conservative. They cannot react the market change promptly and properly. Just reduce the cost and not have any strategy to invest for the future.

Advice to Management

Be ambitious to challenge the market leaders. The customers and market are changing. We must be aggressive to meet our customer's expectations and acquire new customers, or we will lose the future.

6. "Potential opportunity but be careful"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Corel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The employees at Corel are great. It's a very tight place. The developers are very smart. Core products are good and generally well maintained. Miracles performed daily. Equipment is good. Health benefits are good. There may be good opportunities here for someone especially starting out, or someone out of work.

The executive team works out of CA so you only have to listen to them pretend to give a damn about you one or twice a year.

The Ottawa management team I think is doing the best they can with what they have. They're good people honestly.

Cons

Corel was bought out by a VC firm and it's never been the same. Bankruptcy was prevented but the company was gutted in every way possible. Layoffs have been very deep which caused unrecoverable damage to morale which is lukewarm at absolute best unless things have changed very recently which I doubt.

Their most talented developers have already left. Good news is that many now work at Google, Microsoft and other successful places. They got there from what they learned at Corel which is something.

The pay is OK but probably the min they can get away with. Starting vacation is behind the times. Negotiate as absolute high as you can because getting a raise or promotion is nearly impossible.

The office furniture is older than you are.

Advice to Management

Move the Ottawa team to a new building or at least out of the basement. Get some decent chairs. Put some snacks in the fridge. Close the office over Christmas like most other places. Realize that it's a miracle you still have the engineers left that you do.

7. "Great people"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Corel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, benefits are good, decent workload, all around not a bad place to work, they don't pay well

Cons

Upper management is constantly firing people and making poor decision. They won't really appreciate your talent, older office space that's always shrinking

Advice to Management

Show your employee that they matter

8. "The people make the place!"

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Taipei (Taiwan)
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Taipei (Taiwan)

I worked at Corel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at Corel was overall a great experience, because of the people I worked with and around. The products are also very good, high quality and fun to use.

Cons

Hard to fully understand the company objectives.

9. "Graphic Designer"

I worked at Corel full-time

Pros

It was a growing company that was on the edge of technology.

Cons

Long hours and poor management at the time.

"Counterweight"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Corel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

While some of the cons listed by other employees were true, their feedback is outdated. Since then Corel improved. Yes, we had lots of layoffs in the past decades but, more recently, very little. The company size stabilized and we are now hiring to maintain it.

We have amazing teams of qualified developers, QA, UED, etc... To me that is one of the best reasons why I stayed here so long : the people. Everyone is friendly and help each other out! There is little competition among us : we rather support each other.

Another major pros are the products you'd work on. Despite their ages, we are using cutting edge technologies to develop them on recent hardware. You'll never get bored and you will do interesting projects. I've been working here for over a decade now and am still learning every day. Best of all, you'll get to do cool new features, not just maintain old code.

Even in the worse case scenario : more layoffs, which I don't see happening anytime soon, you'll get to put Corel on your resume! Not many people can say that they worked on shrinked wrapped application used by millions of users across the world : YOU could.

The work environment is good, we have flexible hours, understanding managers, good work-life balance. Long overtime hours is NOT expected. Some do, some don't, it depends on your personality and on your personal situation : no one will judge you : your choice.

There is room to grow within developer's ladder. Not very much within the management ladder but it does happen.

Also note that the CEO is not Tom Berquist anymore, it is Patrick Nichols which understand software development much better. As opposed to a long time ago, when Corel was going in all directions without any clear focus, Patrick as a very clear one. New Corel is very cautious about maintaining its revenues and keeping its expenses in check which is good in my opinion.

Benefits are good and Vacation plan too. Compensation plan is competitive. Free parking. Good location. RRSP matching.

Cons

Rather than maintain competitive compensations, give more :P

Advice to Management

I said earlier that Corel is very cautious. I'd like to see it become a little less cautious, take more risks.

11. "Enjoyed the time spent"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manila, Manila (Philippines)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manila, Manila (Philippines)

I worked at Corel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed my stay at Corel for 8 years. I had a work life balance. They gave me opportunities to grow.

Cons

We were given small amount of time when they announce they will shut down their branch here. No proper planning on their projects to sustain their products to the market .