Corinthian Colleges Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Corinthian Colleges Chairman and CEO Jack D. Massimino
Jack D. Massimino

Pros
  • Good benefits, team oriented environment and multiple departments (always cross-functioning) (in 15 reviews)

• Great company, great people to work with (in 13 reviews)

1. "BLAH!!!"

Current Employee - Student Finance Planner in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Student Finance Planner in Orlando, FL

Pros

Co-workers gel well together. The job is pretty consistent.

Cons

There is absolutely no room for advancement. The pay could be better. You have late nights and Saturday work hours. There is a lack of trainings. When something changes, the information is usually passed around through the grapevine. The morale of employees drops to real lows and nothing is done to uplift morale. Employees are dispendable not valued.

Advice to Management

Communication, communication, communication. Management needs to communicate better with their employees.

2. "A disrespectful attitude from inexperienced managers."

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Norcross, GA

Pros

They have an excellent benefit package. Hours are flexible.

Cons

Low end of the range for pay. Quarterly testing to receive raises with no system in place to evaluate increases. Extremely disrespectful management staff from the top down. No knowledge of financial aid as it applies to the industry. Inconsistent delivery in promised level of education to students. Unprofessional meetings held as much as three times daily. They utilize an outside firm "TALX" to contest every UI claim whether the result of a firing or a lay-off.

Advice to Management

Your most important asset is your staff. Do not let the education environment translate to the business side of the college. Your sales people are not students. . Hire managers that have some level of experience and a good attitude toward your people

3. "Terrible company!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

This company offers a great compensation package, base pay, benefits, health care, vacation/sick time tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Poor leadership, unethical practices, poor communication, favoritism from leadership, lack of training, hard core sales, lack of clear mission and vision.

Advice to Management

Incorporate HR on every campus, implement better training programs, establish clear policies for promotion, implement leadership development, better communication from top down, limit policy changes.

4. "Fraud fraud and oh yeah fraud"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Decatur, GA
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Decatur, GA

I worked at Corinthian Colleges full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Initially my campus was doing great and the perks were amazing. Great environment to work in and tons of fun.

Cons

Our campus was shut down due to our president, who skipped town, was lying about job placement numbers. Everyone in admissions was laid off because of management's lies and greed

Advice to Management

Listen to lower employees more and you won't get caught with your pants down.

5. "Working for the Bad Guys Is Only Fun If You Are a Bad Guy"

Former Employee - IT Trainer in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - IT Trainer in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Corinthian Colleges full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice location, paid parking, office is close to the freeway exit/entrance, nice building, it's great to take walks around the pond/lake owned by the neighboring office building.

Cons

A lot of questionable ethics in this organization. The execs take 7 figure bonuses while laying people off. The contractors aren't paid on time, or in any regular/predictable fashion. Supervisors are either micromanagers, or total idiots who don't care about anything (except covering their own tail). There's not a lot of people in this organization who have real business experience outside of this organization (or similar dysfunctional for-profit education corporations).

You have to watch your backside at all times. The goal isn't to hire the best and the brightest - it's to hire people who will do what they are told without asking questions or caring about the consequences.

The business relies heavily on Title IV funding from the federal government, but the executives openly say things like, "The government should mind its own business!" when it comes to expecting students to get a good enough education to pay back student loans.

Advice to Management

Take some classes in business ethics, and business management.

6. "Admissions"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Corinthian Colleges full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Other staff members are great

Cons

Corporate does not care about employees. They only care about revenue and management will make you do what you can to convince students to enroll. There are a lot of lay offs and the company is not doing well.

"Don't do it!"

I have been working at Corinthian Colleges full-time

Pros

Helping people change their lives through education

Cons

Tons of pressure and lots of micro managing

"Big problems that start at the very top...."

I worked at Corinthian Colleges full-time

Pros

Non-degreed staff can make a very good living, opportunity to advance if you produce good sales numbers (not really a pro, but a reality at CCI)

Cons

Very political organization, executive leadership at home office is not held accountable and is very judgmental...they do not spend any time understanding the challenges of the operations before passing judgment, executive leadership at home office is opposed to change....those that come in and and try and make improvements are alienated.

Advice to Management

Executive team at home office needs to take a hard look in the mirror. Your positive change agents are leaving left and right, and you are being left with nothing but mid-performing "yes" people that are afraid to challenge the status quo. The political nature of the Admissions side of the house especially is a complete joke, and everyone sees it for what it is.

"too much smoke and mirrors"

Current Employee - Administrative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Corinthian Colleges full-time (More than a year)

Pros

not a lot to add here, work hours maybe

Cons

care more about bottom line than education

Advice to Management

close company

"Words cannot describe how unethical the institution is."

Former Employee - Director of Admissions
    Former Employee - Director of Admissions

I worked at Corinthian Colleges full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had an amazing Admissions Team that worked very hard for me!

Cons

For Profit schools are struggling. Our Campus population has decreased 50%, less than 300 students now. As a result, there is a "do whatever it takes" mentality to get people to start school there. There are unrealistic expectations placed on the reps not taking into account that at my particular campus they average about 2 new leads daily each.
    Even though my team had some of the best metrics in the region, we could not hit our budgets. Hitting budgets is the only way one is safe as a director. In addition, putting a certain number of students in school is the only way an Admissions Representative is safe.
    I was fired from the campus because I would not agree to operate in an unethical manner.
    Reps are held accountable to something called an ESCORE. This is a score given to them from an interview and a phone observation monthly. I was encouraged to find recorded phone calls that were "less than stellar" and tear them apart and give the rep a poor score if they weren't successful in enrolling and starting students. If a rep had 10 phone calls recorded and 9 were fantastic, i was told to find the 1 that was weak and score it.
    I could go on and on about the unethical manner in which I was expected to operate. I knew that I would eventually lose my job by refusing to compy, but I was ok with it. I can sleep at night and reflect on my decisions and be proud of them.

Advice to Management

Is the salary you are paid worth compromising your integrity? It wasn't for me.