Corizon Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 14, 2019

2.3
Stephen A. Rector

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Excellent starting pay and benefits for unlicensed, mental healthcare staff (i" (in 11 reviews)

• "Pay is better than most agencies and good benefits" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management ties lower management’s hands, or really the Board does" (in 15 reviews)

• "Lack of skilled leadership that was responsible for creating a miserable work environment" (in 12 reviews)

"Director of Opearations"

Former Employee - Director of Operations
    Former Employee - Director of Operations

I worked at Corizon Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Company, Great Benefits and Lot's of opportunity to advancement if desired

Cons

Contract work with state agencies so work history could be interrupted if new company does not pick you up. Hard to recruit for positions in regards to providers

Advice to Management

Develop new recruitment tools

2. "Rejoining the team!!!"

I have been working at Corizon Health full-time

Pros

Credited time for previous years of service, with Corizon.

Cons

The health insurance is expensive!

3. "Mixed Bag"

Former Employee - Masters Behavioral Counselor (Mental Health Therapist) in Memphis, TN

I worked at Corizon Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent starting pay and benefits for unlicensed, mental healthcare staff (i.e., professional counselors, social workers, family therapists, and other M.S.-degreed practitioners).

Opportunity to meet service-minded coworkers.

Cons

Contractual positions without the protection offered to actuall state/govt.-employed staff.

Management primarily cares about pleasing stakeholders, not staff or clientele needs.

Contract with the govt. agency has to be renewed, so unemployment is likely if Corizon fails to meet stakeholder's financial expectations.

The govt. employees who you rely on for safety and navigating the facility (physically and culturally) are often over-worked and under-paid.
    - They are often under-trained in multicultural competencies, using their narrow-minded, family-learned values to determine how client behaviors should be handled (e.g., "The prisoner, didn't get enough beatings as a kid; now she's just rotten" is an example of the staff mindset).

Advice to Management

Assess contractual employee's vuews of how to improve cost efficiency and preventstive care and communicate that feedback to govt. stakeholders; fo mot solely jump when govt. agencies say "jump" without giving constructive feedback from the practitioners' perspectives

4. "Mental Health Professional"

Former Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Farmington, MO
    Former Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Farmington, MO

I worked at Corizon Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Average pay for level of education.

Cons

Unprofessional supervisors, always are negative in approach.

Advice to Management

Get training.

5. "Substance Abuse Counselor"

Former Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor in Henning, TN
    Former Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor in Henning, TN

I worked at Corizon Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When you give respect to the clients that are truly trying to make a change in there life, they show you tremendous
    Gratitude! Throughout my course there, several clients faced there problems head on with a sober mind and use the coping skills that were placed in them by the curriculum as well as reachable studies. It opens up horizons you never thought you knew, it is a challenge for yourself to dig deep and help an individual overcome!

Cons

Upper management is horrible, lack of actual training. Back biting for absolutely no reason. Not following the ESG that was given at the time of hire that is signed by you and management. Very sneaky, always believing one side. You get wrote up for everything. If you accidentally punch in a minute late or early which rounds to 15 or 30 minutes. Your getting a verbal warning or written. Which underhanded goes into your personal file and they build things against you. Believing the actual client over the staff members. Allowing the client to cause conflict upon employees. This was the best worst job, I’ve ever had! I loved what I did for a living to provide for my family, helping others cope and really examine themselves was very rewarding. However, that back stabbing he say she say is overwhelming. If your providing a service of therapy they do not want you to actually relate to certain topics of the curriculum that’s given to you, to facilitate. Clients can pick up on someone that is fake and not really caring about them. So they can feel, why bother! But you really have to dig deep especially when your dealing with the male societies of inmate population. They are already have it hard from the security staff, I’m guessing I’m out of a job because I truly cared to make a difference in an individuals life. I’ve tried talking to HR about this matter, to at least appeal the situation. However, I have not received any call back as I was promised. When I call my calls are never answered. I personally have all documentation on how this company treated me unfairly, including the management. If you know deep down your messy, this is a job for you. If not and you have morals for society and truly want to help. Be prepared for the backlash that follows. Mind you I am not bashing this company, however I am giving my review on how I was treated and how everything truly operates behind closed doors. I had one client make a comment stating that a Specific Supervisior who will remain nameless, stated that if she was on fire they wouldn’t even spit in her direction. That’s sad, because yes she treats and talks to these clients like they are nothing. Yes, they did a crime. Some worse off than others, they have already been judged, so who are you to cast another stone. Upper management is not biased at all. They believe one persons side instead of resolving the whole situation as a whole then move past. Someone that isn’t even a part of the company called up to headquarters, and it ended up someone lost there job. From drama and mess that wasn’t even caused by that person. The stuff is sad.

Advice to Management

Stop being so shady, and looking at your job title as just another pay check and understand that it’s someone’s life that truly needs help on coping with addiction. DON’T CONTINUE TO MAKE THE MATTER WORSE!

"Mental Health"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Corizon Health full-time

Pros

pros only for management who abuses and mistreats employees of organizations that they are contracted to provide services to

Cons

back biting, lack of respect for employee's of organizations that Corizon is contracted to work for, lack of respect for Corizon employee by management which is why there is so much turn over

Advice to Management

respect the organizations' employees that your can contracted to work for,

"HR"

I worked at Corizon Health full-time

Pros

Mission is admirable and needed

Cons

HR Executives lie constant and are not transparent. When the let people go for a financial layoff they say the employee is eligible for rehire but in fact is not when trying to bring back. The new CHRO is a liar who doesn’t not look into the real life scenarios of disrespect, disobedience and blatant illegal actions by senior leadership.

Advice to Management

Get a leadership team who cares about the mission and the employees. Get rid of Carolyn.

8. "Recruiting"

I have been working at Corizon Health full-time

Pros

No "pros" at all within company.

Cons

C-Suite Management Team; Senior Management

9. "Claims and UM are Ignored; not utilized as a resource; with the wealth of knowledge and insight they have."

Pros

It is a job.
    Historically has paid well.
    Some supervisors are flexible with work hours.

Cons

-undervalued, ideas and skills are negated
    -employees are undervalued and considered “warm bodies”
    - 1,2 or three people make all decisions of how the process works or should work & what others do
    - many have skills and knowledge which is completely stifled.
    -“stay in your place” // “stay in your lane” mentality
    - working within feet of one another yet information does not get evenly dispersed- the “sections” of UM and Claims are on different pages and there is not an open flow of information, new processes, changes with provider relations as it relates to reimbursement trouble shooting or new resolutions to disputes.
    -training co-workers or assisting another in a different position is not allowed, regardless.
    -unequal treatment, micromanagement, & a stifling environment
    -no praise or positive reinforcement for those who deserve acknowledgement.
    -Praise and allow some staff special treatment,

Advice to Management

Needs a complete overhaul. UM and the Claims department are an enormous part of Corizon “Health.” They know how health care money flows. They know the problem areas. These large portions of the business are not used as important resources -which they are. Especially for their knowledge, experience, skills and problem solving ideas. Ie: lawsuit prevention, money saving ideas, red flag sites, over billing providers, high cost inmate areas etc. Hospitals and providers contact them with disputes regarding lack of communication, questions about payments, contract verbiage and disputes, and inmate trends. This knowledge could be used for future savings, more effective care and overall better care, effective, swift reimbursement. In Claims -upper management has no interest in staff experiences nor do they seek ideas to resolve problem areas- which could likely make provider relation billing and payment more accurate and appealing for provider contracts. Additionally, RFP’s more affordable and appealing for future growth.

10. "It’s okay"

I have been working at Corizon Health full-time

Pros

Autonomy
    Hours
    Flexibility
    People
    Work Work Work Work work

Cons

Amount of work
    People