Corky McMillin Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Mark McMillin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "RECEPTIONIST"

Pros

The most wonderful family I could of ever worked for. They were so good to me and my family. I got to do things I would only dream of.

Cons

Can't think of one con for this company

2. "One of the best land development firms in California"

I worked at Corky McMillin full-time

Pros

Frequent tickets to the box suite at Padres games, participation in Baja racing team, location in Liberty Station, professional people, private turbo prop airplane for trips to the Central Valley. Fun work atmosphere.

Cons

They had to layoff many good people due to the housing market crash but most of those good people started their own businesses and hired other good people.

3. "Great employer"

I worked at Corky McMillin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great family team environment! HR team was one of the best teams I've had the privilege of working with. Senior level managers were down to earth and easy to talk to

Cons

What they do best....Home building....an industry that is unfortunately greatly affected by the economy

4. "Great place to work, family feeling."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Visalia, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Visalia, CA

I worked at Corky McMillin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great place for a professional to work. You're given goals and allowed to achieve them using your KSAs. I really enjoyed my time with this company and the people were very team oriented.

Cons

As long as your KSAs are strong and you can work independently you are good to go. If you need oversight or need supervision to learn skills I suppose you could feel lost.

Advice to Management

This didn't affect me, but some peer feedback was that they felt lost as if they were supposed to figure out how to do their job on their own. This left them with a feeling that they didn't know if they were performing well.

5. "McMillin"

Current Employee - Network Security Officer in Bonita, CA
    Current Employee - Network Security Officer in Bonita, CA

I have been working at Corky McMillin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity many different technologies to learn from and experience. Daily routines are never boring and technical staff is easy to work with.
    A great place to become experieced with several different technologies.

Cons

The central business is real estate but the main interest of the McMillin's is off road racing. If you are not interested in being a part of weekend trips to off road racing courses it will be held against you. Now this was several years ago and things may have changed since that time.

6. "Has its ups and downs"

Current Employee - Administrative
    Current Employee - Administrative

I have been working at Corky McMillin full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Beautiful offices at Liberty Station. Colleagues are great. Pretty flexible as far as coming and going. Most senior managers don't micro-manage.

Cons

A lot of sacred cows. Family owned and operated -- so if you're related or have a lot of past history with one, you've got it made in the shade. If not, you tend to be overworked and underpaid (to make up for the former, that don't do much and are WAY overpaid). Hard on those with a great work ethic to see other skating by doing nothing and getting paid well.

Advice to Management

See cons, above. That should cover it.

7. "Good Place to work when homes are selling"

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Corky McMillin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small company with a family atmosphere

Cons

Pay is below industry standard

8. "Small Family Owned Business. They always do the right thing."

Former Employee - Storm Water Field Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Storm Water Field Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Corky McMillin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being involved on a winning team. They have an open door policy with the entire upper management.

Cons

Sometimes I worked long hours.

Advice to Management

Keep the lines of communication open.

9. "This used to be a nice place to work and somewhere to be proud of but hard times showed their true colors"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Nice offices, tight knit group of coworkers
    Very generous salary and benefits
    Team building activities, holiday parties and generous paid time off, holiday pay
    Flexible work hours and good work/life balance
    My original manager genuinely cared about my well being, highly professional and was a motivator that earned a lot of respect within this industry
    Top notch real estate agents-very professional and well loved by their clients

Cons

Once the real estate market went through it's downturn there was a lot of reorganization-which is understandable-however the changes were not effectively communicated to employees-that led to a lot of uncertainty and stress
    Favorites were definitely showed greated consideration by upper management, even when they were not necessarily the top performers or the most knowledgeable
    The company used to be a very reputable name in the community, but over time I felt that there was a lot of negativity felt towards them
    A lot of layoffs, some of which were jobs that were necessary and employees who had been long term-in the down turn understandable, yet during that time, management, including owners brought in their own friends and family members to come to work-not the right message to send when others had to face unemployment
    Management did not do much to improve morale of remaining employees during periods of lay offs

Advice to Management

The general managers do what they can and are probably overworked and tired from all the changes and layoffs over the last few years. However, upper management-I would say to you that your communication, honesty and integrity needs to be addressed. Many employees were overlooked or laid off without you truly realize the value of their work and skills. I bellieve that with better decisions and more conservative spending on your part, more jobs could have been saved.

10. "Great company that has fallen on hard times; not a good place to work at the present time (i.e. 2008-2009)."

Former Employee - Land Development Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Land Development Project Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

Good work environment, they generally treat people very fairly. Very new & clean work environment (office). There is potential to make money in a positive real estate market. Discount benefits that come with working for a homebuilder.

Cons

A real estate downturn, like the one we are in now will very likely lead to loss of employment. Also, the company tends to pay people less than what the market usually bears, but this could be attributed to an excessively large staff which makes you not have to work 60-80 hours per week. Most people work a 40-50 hour week.

Advice to Management

Get a little more aggressive with taking risk.