Corner Bakery Cafe Reviews | Glassdoor

Corner Bakery Cafe CEO Mike Hislop
Mike Hislop

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Very long hours, hectic at times (in 16 reviews)

• You work your butt off for a minimum wage job and work with coworkers that you often have to pick up the slack from (in 9 reviews)

1. "Tasty Food, Terrible Managers"

Pros

50% employee discount on food
    25% employee discount on packaged goods
    the food is good

Cons

Terrible hours
    no growth opportunities what so ever
    Employee hygiene is poor

Advice to Management

Management is more focused on getting their quarterly bonuses than actually running the place. The favoritism and unprofessional behavior is ridiculous. Management does not give you feed back to improve yourself as an employee, they just cut your hours and leave you in the dark about what you are doing wrong.

2. "Probably one of the worst jobs you could ever have"

Former Employee - Multiple Positions
    Former Employee - Multiple Positions

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount on food & drinks

Cons

Unfair wages, no free meals, limited breaks, management doesn't care about welfare of employees

Advice to Management

Listen to employees

3. "Catering Supervisor"

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe full-time

Pros

Great food. Nice to have another option for breakfast.

Cons

Position is way under paid. Even if you walk in with 4 years of catering experience. Management treats it like an inconvenience but pushed for higher sales everyday so they could get a higher bonus. Not worth it when you have to go through so much.

4. "Cook"

Former Employee - Cook in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Cook in Irvine, CA

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People you work with are generally good people (although I hated my manager),

Cons

Cooks are worked very hard compared to the other positions but are paid the same salary and do not make tips like servers, my manager would not let me cut hours during finals week even when I asked politely.

Advice to Management

If your employee is a student, prioritize his/her education.

5. "Office"

Former Employee - Office in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Office in Dallas, TX

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot talent is at the office and in ops. If they want to keep these people, the company needs to clean the decks and start over with some of the upper management who are crashing the place. Casual work environment. Good coffee. Good size work stations. Nice office in general.

Cons

Lack of leadership, direction, communication and decision making. Small office but big egos, CEO doesn't even remotely make an effort to speak to people that are not at a director level or above. It's arrogant. This company really needs to get it together for their sake. I would not recommend this as a place to be employed. Does not have a 401k match program.

Advice to Management

Care about your people or your customers will never care about you. Act like you give a damn. It's starts from the inside out. Your never going to get the sales you want with what/ how you are running things.

6. "CBC Rundown"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're unfamiliar with restaurant business this is a great job to dip you're toe in the water so to speak! Perfect for highschoolers looking for summer jobs. Back of house pay is higher than front of house.

Cons

Horrible management. For the most part they do okay interacting with guests, but when it comes to employees they micromanage the staff, screw up the basics of their jobs (i.e. Inventory) which puts the store in a near constant state of disorganization and chaos as they would constantly run out of products needed. Front of house staff isn't properly trained in dealing with guests or learning how to work a front of house position and 2 people are often left alone to take care of a 4 person job while managers spend their time either flirting with the staff or talking amongst themselves. Meanwhile back of house staff is also left short handed, often having two people running 4 stations at a time, once again with very little help from management. If you take your job seriously or want to turn your job into career this is NOT the place for that. They don't make enough money to take on new managers, and continuously hire outdide of the company, so once you're hired into a position you're virtually stuck working that entry level spot. They assigned a few employees a bogus title of "key" persons, but based on what I saw they didn't do anything different than their everyday job.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging everything the staff does. Allow them to have responsibilities so they have the opportunity to learn about their job and understand how things work. Trial and error is a part of learning. Don't take your tempers out on your employees just because you're having a bad day. Maturity is a huge part of leadership. Directly address problems that occur in the store by talking to the people involved in the conflict. Talk to the employees in question by ASKING them what happened, not accusing them based on GOSSIP that happens in the store. Start taking responsibility for your mistakes.

7. "Line Cook"

Current Employee - Line Cook/Prep Cook in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Line Cook/Prep Cook in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Corner Bakery Cafe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the staff is cool. Free food sometimes. It's in the middle of down town so lots to do after work. Not much else I like about the place.

Cons

A lot of work for close to minimum wage pay. No recognition for hard work. Lots of pressure from management to do everything perfectly.

Advice to Management

Keep you hard working people happy.

8. "High school job"

I have been working at Corner Bakery Cafe part-time

Pros

It's a super easy job interview and they take most people.

Cons

A lot of long hours and very hard work with minimal pay

9. "Cashier/Server"

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe part-time

Pros

I was young, as are most of the people working on cash anyways. Coworkers were decent.

Cons

Upper management leaves more to be desired. The restaurant had fruit flies and did not deserve the A-rating it got. Also, the amount of work expected of one night shift server is ludicrous. And they refused to hire people (at least at my location), and others and I have had to travel to other locations to take a shift due to the lack of employees working for the company.

Advice to Management

Hire more people.

10. "It Was Alright"

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe part-time

Pros

Discounted Food is pretty much all I can think of. The customers were usually pretty pleasant. It's a nice environment in general.

Cons

There was Horrible Management while I was there. There was Horrible Scheduling also. Overworked and underpaid here.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to get new management or retrain existing management and staff. Become more organized.