Corner Bakery Cafe Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 27, 2017

Corner Bakery Cafe CEO Mike Hislop
Mike Hislop

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great Staff, Helpful Crew Members, 50% Discount on food during work hours (20% when (in 13 reviews)

• Good food discount and you learn how to work hard (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long hours, hectic at times (in 16 reviews)

• Also, the amount of work expected of one night shift server is ludicrous (in 5 reviews)

1. "Key Employee"

Former Employee - Key Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Key Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The team you work with on a daily basis becomes like family they help you learn.

Cons

Management is honestly there for show they usally lock themselves in the office dealing with administrative work. The only time they are seen is for inventory and special events where there are lines out the door. Management never sees what actually goes on in the resteraunrant they base facts on he said she said. They blame employees on sales yet never have evaluatuions and raises. Favoritism plays a big role. Managment promises advancement and a raise by being crosstrained yet, the raise or promotion never comes.

Advice to Management

Step out of the office more often look around at what needs to get done to help your sales. Keep promises of advancement. Not everything you hear is true.

2. "It's not the worst but I'd leave if I had the opportunity"

Current Employee - Cashier in Madison, MS
    Current Employee - Cashier in Madison, MS

I have been working at Corner Bakery Cafe part-time

Pros

50% off employee discount, co-workers are friendly, mostly flexible schedule

Cons

Training? what training? everyone has conflicting information about what you're supposed to do and how to do it.

3. "Shift Supervisor"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free food, lots of paid overtime, sick and vacation pay, works around school schedule, bonus (occasionally)

Cons

Barely any holidays off to spend with family, 10-13hr work day (at least), clothes smell like food, laborious, unrealistic goals, under paid compared to other companies

4. "Not a bad first job"

Current Employee - Trainer in Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Trainer in Horsham, PA

I have been working at Corner Bakery Cafe part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- 50% off meals, free coffee & fountain beverages
    - easy to learn
    - generally great coworkers & store managers
    - flexible hours, store managers are always willing to work with you
    - hire practically anyone

If you're desperate for a job chances are Corner Bakery will hire you, even if you'e never had a job before which is a nice change since most places prefer workers with prior experience. As a first job it's not bad. You'll learn the ropes that can be applied to every job: communication with your coworkers and customers, the basics of customer service, how to work hard.

However, growing in this environment is nearly impossible. I've seen people who have worked at this company for years remain trainers or shift supervisors due to the fact that the company doesn't promote from within, but rather hires managers from outside. Even if you're a hard worker, if you start out as a cashier the most you'll ever accomplish is MAYBE becoming a trainer. Coworkers are generally awesome though and the store managers tend to be amazing people. I've made some life-long friends working here and the expectations I have of my future managers now might be too high due to the amazing people I've met at my job.

Cons

- upper management is a mess
    - constantly rotating staff because of said mess
    - barely any raises or promotions given even if you learn different stations and take on more responsibility

Advice to Management

Specifically my advice to district managers and higher: give general managers back the ability to decide who gets raises, because anything less than a 50 cent raise for employees who have worked hard and have learned multiple stations is quite frankly insulting. I understand that there are likely situations that you're trying to save money either because new stores aren't opening or profits aren't what you need them to be in order to justify raises and promotions. The solution isn't to cheap out on hard working, long time employees who bend over backwards for the company because then all those hard working employees go find better jobs and you're left with those who want to do the bare minimum and come into work high and/or drunk 24/7 or steal from the company and GOOD LUCK getting more business when your staff is full of lazy, lying, intoxicated people. Maybe start drug testing your potential hires, too, because I've seen so many lazy trainees come in high all the time and slack on working or mess up constantly because they're stoned out of their mind and honestly that's just a huge waste of time, effort, and money on your part.

Also, the fact that only a week of scheduling comes out at a time with NO OUT TIMES is incredibly frustrating. Working around one or the other might be possible, but scheduling ANYTHING is ridiculously hard with both of these issues.

Finally, it feels as though the company doesn't care about it's employees experiences. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who love to complain about everything under the sun and think they aren't responsible for any issue in their life but treating like the concerns of any given employee is the case above is beyond insulting and frustrating. No one wants to work for a company that treats them as if their concerns and feelings aren't important. When we have complaints about certain issues and the general opinion of the staff is the same on a given issue, we wouldn't be so hasty to leave if you didn't write us all off as "whiny" and "immature" for simply voicing our concerns on recent changes.

I'm not sure how this criticism might apply to other Corner Bakeries considering some are franchised and some are not.

5. "Not the easiest way to make min. wage."

Pros

In my case, my coworkers were fun people to be around which made for a fairly enjoyable environment.

Cons

It is extremely difficult to get pay raises. Learning multiple positions meant extra effort without any compensation change. Annual raises are almost negligible. It isn't strange to be expected to come in on your days off without notice which makes it very difficult to make any personal plans.

6. "Mix of good and bad."

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe part-time

Pros

I had a good time working with my coworkers. My pay was decent for how often I was working (part-time). I was attending college at the time and they worked really well with my schedule.

Cons

Management was just really unprofessional at times. I had a customer tell to me before about how rudely she was treated, the customer did not even know she was a manager.

7. "server/ cashier"

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe part-time

Pros

meet great co-workers, learn great customer service and hot to handle a cash register

Cons

managers need to give more power to employees

8. "Fine high school cashier job"

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe part-time

Pros

Got to take home some baked goods if they weren't bought throughout the day

Cons

One bad manager. Employees came and went quickly.

9. "Dishes"

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe part-time

Pros

Fun pro schedule flexibility time off

Cons

Management, pay, amount of work,

Advice to Management

Try to help people advance and also don't take employees for granted

10. "Too much favoritism"

I have been working at Corner Bakery Cafe full-time

Pros

Overall the staff and management team are great people to work for/with

Cons

Not enough training and there's too much favoritism for who gets hours

Advice to Management

Value strong employees over personal friendships