Cornerstone Environmental Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Ken Karl

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company to work for!"

I have been working at Cornerstone Environmental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smaller office means no one goes unnoticed. It is fairly easy to get involved in projects and there is always something going on that you can assist with. Management has a very great open door policy and are always willing to assist with questions and help solve problems. They want you to do well, which is very much appreciated.

Work is challenging, but this is not easy work. It takes a lot of knowledge and experience to work well in an ever changing industry. Management knows this and does their best to help staff acclimate to changes. It is expected to stay up to date on regulations, rules, etc.

Work-life balance is good. Around 40 hours a week. Sometimes less, sometimes more depending on workload. Office will have dinners/drinks on occasion. Everyone in the office is decently friendly with one another.

Lots of room to grow professionally. Company will hold training sessions, encourage staff to participate in new opportunities that are upcoming, send information for available presentations/seminars. Having worked in this industry for a different company before, most companies will keep entry level staff behind their computers. Cornerstone does not. Staff are invited to most meetings, are spoken to directly in a respectful and professional manner, and are taught how to be a consultant.

Office culture is great. Everyone is friendly and will chat with you. Helps to facilitate a friendly atmosphere.

Cons

No cons, personally. Great company to work for. Cost of living in area is high, but this is no fault of the company's.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. "One of the BEST!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

I have been working at Cornerstone Environmental full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I don't usually write reviews but I have been so happy with my decision to be part of the Cornerstone team that I'm compelled to share. I am an industry veteran and have worked with many, many environmental firms over the course of 20 years. The leadership, the team, the work, the forward thinking...they have it all and more importantly...they care about us. They establish goals to align our progress. They are there to mentor and guide. They have been the best! It's no wonder we keep getting so many new projects! Happy Team = Happy Clients!

Cons

Not really a con but because we continue to grow, we continue to need more talented people on the team!

3. "Wonderful Company and People!"

I have been working at Cornerstone Environmental full-time

Pros

I previously worked with a company that used Cornerstone as a consultant, and was always impressed with the quality of their work and their professionalism. When it was time to move on from that job, I jumped at the opportunity to work at Cornerstone. It is a great company to work for, with fantastic employees who are always willing to lend a helping hand. The atmosphere is very team-oriented, and the projects we get to work on are really interesting. There are boundless opportunities for personal growth and advancement within the company. Senior leadership takes their roles as mentors seriously, and they are always willing to answer questions and give advice. They don't micromanage, and encourage learning and personal growth.
    Cornerstone is in a period of rapid growth an expansion, so the opportunities are endless. It is an exciting time to be a Cornerstone employee!

Cons

Not really a con, but because we're growing so rapidly, there's plenty of work to go around. As management looks for more quality people to join our team, the existing employees are very busy.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Cornerstone has a culture and structure that are really unique, and make it a great place to work.

4. "Project Engineer"

I have been working at Cornerstone Environmental full-time

Pros

Good benefits, work/ life balance and interesting project work

Cons

Salary could be higher and more opportunities for different types of work

5. "great entry level, not great for moving up"

I worked at Cornerstone Environmental full-time

Pros

small company and able to do both field and office work
    good community feel among employees

Cons

low upward mobility
    very top-heavy company with people who have been there for a long time

6. "A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cornerstone Environmental full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits (with decent raises and bonuses); unlimited room for advancement for hard workers who embrace new and challenging opportunities; the sense of being part of a small, intimate company despite being a Tetra Tech company; managers that doesn't micromanage if you're doing your job well; good office camaraderie; general appreciation of marketing group efforts; and managed by some of the most respected professionals in the solid waste industry.

Cons

I wish the Portland office had more people so there was more personal stimulation, but we're growing, so hopefully that's a temporary issue.

Advice to Management

Don't let Cornerstone get lost in Tetra Tech -- so far, so good, so keep it up!

"Great Company with Many Opportuntiies that Continues to Grow"

I have been working at Cornerstone Environmental full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a leader in the solid waste industry, the opportunities for various types of projects to work work on seem to be endless. If you are willing to work hard and be open to learning new things, you will be acknowledged for your hard work, and rise through the ranks quickly. There have been no boring days at this job, and I have had an excellent experience working here and plan to continue to be apart of the Cornerstone team for many more years.

The previous reviews from disgruntled former employees are baseless and nonsensical. The majority of the reviewers were most likely let go because they were under-performing or not following quality standards to which the group performs.

Cons

Difficulty finding ambitious engineers/scientist means existing employees are busier than they would probably like to be.

Advice to Management

Find a way to get the negative glassdoor reviews taken down. Happy employees typically do not take the time out of their day to write a positive review for the company they work for.

8. "Good People"

Former Employee - Environmental Engineer in Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Environmental Engineer in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at Cornerstone Environmental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good and smart engineering staff. Good benefits and good salary. Many engineers tend to work from home which provides flexibility.

Cons

Because I worked from home, my boss would feel free to call me at all hours of the day and weekends and regularly. It was fine on occasion, but his expectations were out of touch.

Advice to Management

It was a good place to work, just not what I wanted to do down the road. So no advice really to give them.

"poor working envirnoment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, CA

I worked at Cornerstone Environmental (Less than a year)

Pros

In Dublin, CA they have a traditional office with off-white walls, padded cubicles, and top down traditional management. If you enjoy a traditional office, you may thrive here. You may find the work challenging, and you will find the people even more challenging.

Cons

Most people in this office do not appear to be thriving but rather just getting by. There is no style here, just black ink on white paper. The CAD system is quirky and cumbersome, and the people are just cumbersome.

Advice to Management

Head for the hills.

10. "Good work environment. Nice place to work."

Current Employee - Environmental Engineer in Middletown, NY
    Current Employee - Environmental Engineer in Middletown, NY

I have been working at Cornerstone Environmental full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cornerstone is a company that genuinely cares about the individuals that work with them. In my experience, from early on they encourage me to express my opinions and worked with my strengths as an employee. It is a nice environment with a good work/life balance.

Cons

I would say that working at Cornerstone has only minor downsides which can be expected at any company. Regional decisions are made quickly, however decisions influencing the entire company can take awhile to develop and approve. Certainly a better company to work for than my prior employers..

Advice to Management

No particular advice. Improving the speed of the decision-making process would be helpful. 401k match and benefits generally meet general industry standard.