Cornerstone Environmental Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ken Karl

1. "A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cornerstone Environmental full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits (with decent raises and bonuses); unlimited room for advancement for hard workers who embrace new and challenging opportunities; the sense of being part of a small, intimate company despite being a Tetra Tech company; managers that doesn't micromanage if you're doing your job well; good office camaraderie; general appreciation of marketing group efforts; and managed by some of the most respected professionals in the solid waste industry.

Cons

I wish the Portland office had more people so there was more personal stimulation, but we're growing, so hopefully that's a temporary issue.

Advice to Management

Don't let Cornerstone get lost in Tetra Tech -- so far, so good, so keep it up!

"Great Company with Many Opportuntiies that Continues to Grow"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Dublin, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dublin, CA

I have been working at Cornerstone Environmental full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a leader in the solid waste industry, the opportunities for various types of projects to work work on seem to be endless. If you are willing to work hard and be open to learning new things, you will be acknowledged for your hard work, and rise through the ranks quickly. There have been no boring days at this job, and I have had an excellent experience working here and plan to continue to be apart of the Cornerstone team for many more years.

The previous reviews from disgruntled former employees are baseless and nonsensical. The majority of the reviewers were most likely let go because they were under-performing or not following quality standards to which the group performs.

Cons

Difficulty finding ambitious engineers/scientist means existing employees are busier than they would probably like to be.

Advice to Management

Find a way to get the negative glassdoor reviews taken down. Happy employees typically do not take the time out of their day to write a positive review for the company they work for.

3. "Good People"

Former Employee - Environmental Engineer in Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Environmental Engineer in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at Cornerstone Environmental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good and smart engineering staff. Good benefits and good salary. Many engineers tend to work from home which provides flexibility.

Cons

Because I worked from home, my boss would feel free to call me at all hours of the day and weekends and regularly. It was fine on occasion, but his expectations were out of touch.

Advice to Management

It was a good place to work, just not what I wanted to do down the road. So no advice really to give them.

"poor working envirnoment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, CA

I worked at Cornerstone Environmental (Less than a year)

Pros

In Dublin, CA they have a traditional office with off-white walls, padded cubicles, and top down traditional management. If you enjoy a traditional office, you may thrive here. You may find the work challenging, and you will find the people even more challenging.

Cons

Most people in this office do not appear to be thriving but rather just getting by. There is no style here, just black ink on white paper. The CAD system is quirky and cumbersome, and the people are just cumbersome.

Advice to Management

Head for the hills.

6. "Good work environment. Nice place to work."

Current Employee - Environmental Engineer in Middletown, NY
    Current Employee - Environmental Engineer in Middletown, NY

I have been working at Cornerstone Environmental full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cornerstone is a company that genuinely cares about the individuals that work with them. In my experience, from early on they encourage me to express my opinions and worked with my strengths as an employee. It is a nice environment with a good work/life balance.

Cons

I would say that working at Cornerstone has only minor downsides which can be expected at any company. Regional decisions are made quickly, however decisions influencing the entire company can take awhile to develop and approve. Certainly a better company to work for than my prior employers..

Advice to Management

No particular advice. Improving the speed of the decision-making process would be helpful. 401k match and benefits generally meet general industry standard.

"Engineer I"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Cornerstone Environmental full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Spot bonuses for overtime, good atmosphere.

Cons

Slow advancement, below average pay and salary increases, high pressure to meet utilization

Advice to Management

Generally a supportive atmosphere. When you first start, don't be afraid to ask questions.

There are some problems with upper management in the California offices, but the Michigan office is dedicate and driven. Communication needs improvement.

"Hostile work environment where those who work the hardest are paid the least and undervalued."

Former Employee - Scientist/Engineer in Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Scientist/Engineer in Dublin, CA

I worked at Cornerstone Environmental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent starting position to gain experience for your next position.

Many smart people with various backgrounds within the company.

Equipment is nice, office gets good outdoor lighting.

Cons

Low pay for work expected from staff level; no one stays here longer than 2-3 years due to this.

Upper managers hardly work, causing staff level employees to do the bulk of the work. Makes sense as upper managers understand projects with more billable space and can get away with doing almost nothing. Tons of in-office conversations unrelated to work.

Get in trouble for lack of work when no one is pointing you towards what you should be working on.

Hostile work environment at times, more condescending words than encouraging. Never felt appreciated.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. Increase pay of lower level staff if you expect them to plan to be here in the long run. Allow time to help employees learn rather than focusing on net profit. Give employees constructive criticism to help them grow.

"Scraping for work"

Former Employee - Engineer in Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Dublin, CA

I worked at Cornerstone Environmental full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Opportunity to get involved in different aspects of projects.
    - Interesting BioCNC opportunity, but apparently not fruitful.
    - Electric vehicle charging station in front of building.
    - Individuals in other offices a pleasure to work with. (a pleasure to work with means they are thinking big, know how to have fun, and get things done.)
    - Convenient Bank located on lower level, for all your banking needs.

Cons

- Work was feast or famine. People unkind towards each other.
    - Senior management often unavailable.
    - Certain angry mid level individual difficult to be around.
    - Lack of professional feedback when things went wrong.
    - Salary raises seemed to be lack luster for everyone.
    - Pay was low and not competitive for the engineering industry or the geographical area.

Advice to Management

Be more kind and value your employees.

"This is a classic architectural consulting firm where sometimes in the office there is no work available."

Former Employee - Project Engineer I in Middletown, NY
    Former Employee - Project Engineer I in Middletown, NY

I worked at Cornerstone Environmental full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company offered a moving bonus, and competitive salary, great benefits.

Cons

It seams as though I was hired during a time when the company didn't have much work available. The company eventually did let me go but blamed me for being incompetent. I feel this was dishonest.

Advice to Management

I feel there is some room for improvement when It comes to leadership and management. I worked hard trying to actually find work to just keep busy in the office. It seams as though the leadership had given up on me months before I was let go, and made no attempt to save my employment.

"Engineer/Scientist I"

Former Employee - Engineer/Scientist I in Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer/Scientist I in Dublin, CA

I worked at Cornerstone Environmental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Casual, friendly atmosphere
    - Good place to learn about regulations and permits

Cons

- Management extremely disorganized, minimal to no communication between the managers resulting in one not knowing what the other is doing and ultimately blaming the junior staff for their short comings
    - Junior staff highly under appreciated and looked down upon
    - Work hours can be 40+ hours a week, which would be fine if the pay were equivalent to have much time is required to complete the give tasks
    - Annual "raises" are a joke, never more than $2,000 if that
    - Unbearably stressful to work there
    - More socialization within the work place than I have ever seen before resulting in favoritism
    - Opportunities to learn new things depends on how social you are with the management

Due the inhospitable work environmental most junior staff don't last longer than a year unless they absolutely have to and are continually looking for other job opportunities.

Advice to Management

- Management needs to have proper training on how to manage employees below them and how to effectively communicate what is required of them
    - Management needs to learn to take responsible for their own actions rather than automatically blaming the junior employee