Cornerstone Research Reviews | Glassdoor

Cornerstone Research President and CEO Michael E. Burton
Michael E. Burton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Other reviews about work-life balance are generally correct (in 15 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours do need to be put in to get the job done (in 13 reviews)

1. "Under-appreciated employer"

I have been working at Cornerstone Research full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Investment in people - good development opportunities, interesting work, leaders who care about whether people enjoy their work and experience. I can tell the leaders are trying to make this a great place to have a career because of investment in hiring and spending. Can manage work-life balance if you decide to do it - have to make it happen for yourself and try to get on cases with managers who leave you alone. Lots of things are changing for the better. It's a great place and the good things are lost because of small problems it would be easy to fix. We make good money. I know officers make a lot of money, which is great, and they get to manage their work-life balance much better than anyone else.

Cons

I really like working here and I can only work here for a long time if some things change. It is almost like some people have not noticed that it is 2018 now, not 2008. Everything is different now - time to catch up. There is more training and more development than we used to have and it is much better stuff. But we need more and recently it seems like senior people do not want to spend time and money to develop us or hire enough consultants and staff people to do it. I gave a 5 rating on compensation because the money is very good, but our benefits and perks are a 2. Officers care, but need to spend more time on cases to make a difference. Teach managers how to manage better. Let less senior people do as much as they can. Make it easier for people to manage their own time. Let people work on cases in other offices if they want to. Too much hierarchy, too bureaucratic. Face-time is a problem - I do not need to be in the office to do my work. Even though the pay is good, the perks are not as good as anywhere my friends work. Little things that are cheap become a big deal and it's a bummer when we are all working so hard.

Advice to Management

Make sure you know what is going on in the company - don't guess because you have talk to one or two squeaky wheel people - those people are not the ones who are going to stay here anyway. I want to stay and I get less attention because I do not complain. Let people figure out what they want to do and go do it without getting 10 layers of approval. Help people get good case roles - backlog process is great in my office now but my peers in some office do not have the good luck or anyone to talk to about it. Figure out who wants to be here and get rid of anyone, even senior people, who are bringing us down because they don't like it here and do not do anything to help, they just complain. They do not even know that they ARE the problem. A lot of us want to do good things, but it is too hard to get permission and we are not motivated because of the whiners.

2. "Fantastic"

I worked at Cornerstone Research full-time

Pros

Great culture
    Incredibly intelligent, humble coworkers

Cons

Some times work is tedious but thats the nature of the industry where every piece of work product has to be perfect.
    Not enough transparency about high level company strategy.

Advice to Management

make sure the growth is managed such that analyst culture is preserved

3. "Good company to work for that is trying hard to turn from good to GREAT"

I have been working at Cornerstone Research full-time

Pros

-Great pay and benefits
    -Depending on your advocates, opportunities for growth and progression
    -Mid-size allows for lots of room to interact with individuals at all levels
    -Financially stable organization that rewards hard work

Cons

-Struggling to figure out how to move from just average to great; leadership mired down by fear of change
    -If you don't have a strong advocate, good luck with being positioned for growth and career progression
    -If you're not on the Consulting staff side of the business, at time you feel like just a cog to get the work down and that your opinions are not good enough to be taken seriously.
    -Noting the above comment...if you're strong and capable and don't take no for an answer, you'll eventually get in front of people who will take you seriously.

Advice to Management

-You have smart people here who want to help the company grow...listen to them; you're not always the smartest people in the room.
    -You've hired very smart opertaions staff in recent years and they know what they are doing, so let them do what they know how to do. Again you're not always the smartest people in the room.

4. "Great firm"

I have been working at Cornerstone Research full-time

Pros

An excellent firm to work for with a friendly atmosphere, commitment to its employees and quality of work.

Cons

No cons to report on.

5. "Amazing Firm"

I have been working at Cornerstone Research full-time

Pros

*Great compensation and benefits
    *Opportunity to work with smart, fun, dedicated teams
    *Interesting work
    *Senior people are very engaged and approachable
    *Lots of room for growth and advancement

Cons

The firm is growing quickly resulting in a lot of change.

Advice to Management

Don't overthink decisions.

6. "A good place to work…that’s going in the wrong direction."

I have been working at Cornerstone Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Compensation and benefits are pretty good.

- Very limited work travel as an analyst.

- Collegial atmosphere among most staff. People are non-competitive with each other, generally very bright and friendly, and collaborative.

- Work on varied and often really major cases (billions of dollars at stake, headline issues). Can really get exposure to a variety of work and tasks.

- Several of the major cons below developed recently as the firm has grown. The firm is totally capable of fixing them if they put an intentional effort into it.

Cons

- Hours and work/life balance can be really challenging. How many hours you need to work is often unpredictable and the problem is exacerbated by some bad management. Oftentimes these busy periods are filled with very stale work.

- Learning curve for analysts really flattens out. The firm is not conscientious about development, and it feels like they assume you being busy with casework = development. The firm expects growth to just happen but does not thoughtfully maintain an analyst development program.

- The firm has been growing and has not maintained many positive elements of its small firm culture. Many functions have become “corporatized,” but corporate staff and policies often act as a hindrance, rather than a help, to consulting staff.

- Variance in manager quality within and across offices. Many managers are straight out of PhD programs with minimal management training. Some managers are great to work with, some are unclear with their expectations, demanding, and actively demotivating. Manager quality has also generally gone down lately as they have overall become busier and taken on more cases.

Advice to Management

- Conscientiously focus on how to maintain a development pathway for analysts and not have them get stuck with repetitive, uninteresting, and tiring work.

- Remember that “Committed to Our People” is one of our core values. To lots of analysts (and above), it often feels like the first one to go. Be willing to actually invest in improving staff quality of life, maintaining a one-firm firm culture, and reducing silly corporate red tape.

- Actively show staff you care during periods of extreme busyness. Don’t be tone deaf and tout “excellent performance” during staff meetings, without recognizing for many people that has meant serious stress.

- Work to improve retention. It’s very costly (in time, dollars, work quality, and morale) to lose experienced analysts/associates.

7. "Friendly, smart environment but the hours are unpredictable"

Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Cornerstone Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Exciting cases
    -Collaborative work environment
    -Friendly and brilliant colleagues
    -Some excellent managers
    -Pays very well

Cons

-Hours average 50/week but are extremely unpredictable day to day
    -When on a busy case, hard to know when you'll need to put in an 8hr day or a 14hr day
    -Unpredictability exacerbated by a small number of poor managers. Senior leadership slow to address poor management among its ranks

Advice to Management

Taking management training more seriously. Do whatever possible to make work life/balance easier.

8. "Great place to work and grow"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Cornerstone Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- incredibly smart but also very friendly and supportive colleagues, many of whom have become good friends over the years
    - team-oriented and non-competitive work environment, where you can learn and grow a lot
    - interesting and challenging case projects - no two days are the same and I've never been bored
    - very clear career path and good mentoring and advising culture

Cons

There can be busy stretches which require good time management and teamwork.

9. "Analyst Position"

I worked at Cornerstone Research full-time

Pros

Great people! You learn a ton and there are great perks.

Cons

It is a lot of work and the job can be stressful.

10. "Good first job"

I worked at Cornerstone Research full-time

Pros

smart colleagues; interesting quantitative projects

Cons

hours could get bad during busy cases