Corporate Accountability International Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
CEO
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Good People, Bland Vision"

I worked at Corporate Accountability International part-time

Pros

Brings awareness about corporate abuses when there was none.

Cons

Needs a more sophisticated approach as to how to best effect meaningful change.

"Wonderful staff, frustrating experience"

I worked at Corporate Accountability International part-time

Pros

The staff at Corporate Accountability are passionate, dedicated, interesting, and kind. The mission is important and very much needed. Beautiful office space, awesome location near Downtown Crossing.

Cons

I went through a 2-week orientation that provided a good overview of the organization, but job-specific training was pretty watery. There are many project-specific protocols with lots of steps in place (too many, really), but unfortunately they don't work and don't leave room for independent work or creative problem-solving. Most projects involve creating labor-intensive schedules with interdepartmental deadlines that are nearly impossible to enforce. Most staff seem overworked due to meeting-stuffed schedules. Frankly, I felt micromanaged and like I couldn't be trusted to do my job the way I wanted. Every day was frustrating.

Advice to Management

Streamline your processes, respect each person's individual way of working, allow your staff more creative freedom, and consider adopting a more traditional 9-5 schedule. You'll attract--and retain--more seasoned professionals that way.

3. "Great organization to work for"

I have been working at Corporate Accountability International full-time

Pros

Excellent management. Wonderful co-workers. High-impact campaigns. Tight-knit, family feel.

Cons

Salaries are slightly below industry average.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in raising salaries -- it will help you hold on to top staff.

4. "Good Experience!"

Pros

Everyone here was really committed to the company vision, they were very hard working. I learned a great deal about the nature of NGO and NGO funding.

Cons

It was unpaid and I don't think I fully utilized my talents. There were a lot of interns (maybe too many for the size of the NGO), thus I was lacking in things to do often.

5. "Strong mission-oriented culture"

Pros

CAI has a smart, dynamic, and energetic staff committed to the mission. People work hard, play hard, and there is a real sense of community among the young staff. Additionally, there are genuine and heartfelt celebrations for birthdays and milestones.

Cons

Many of the staff are young -- and willing to put in 50+ hours for the campaigns. This can be exhausting for more experienced and senior staff, as they look for work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Invest in the long-term sustainability of your staff. It's good to push oneself to be bigger, better, and stronger, but it shouldn't be at the expense of your staff's health and happiness.

6. "Amazing staff and mission. You get out what you put in."

I have been working at Corporate Accountability International (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Our work is important and meaningful (if fighting for people & the planet are things you care about). You may be taking a pay cut compared to a consulting or finance job, but you're spending your days doing something you truly care about.
    -Wonderful staff. Truly passionate, creative, interesting people. I've met some of my best friends here. You spent 45+ hours together and somehow want to hang out even more.
    -Exceptional professional development opportunities (fundraising, strategy/planning, project management, and more, depending on your unit). Especially you're the type of person who'll say "yes" you'll learn a lot. There's always a new challenge to overcome.
    -The training is good. They prepare you really well to go into anything new.
    -Great systems in place, although it's a bit repetitive for materials production (but for good reason, since we've been targeted by corporations before).
    -Other reviews have criticized the management, but the truth is, once you're in, you're in. If you convince management you're capable and committed, they will fight to keep you. I know I can talk to management when I'm having a hard day or week and be heard and helped.
    -Benefits are great: vacation is reasonable, unlimited sick days, 401k, full medical/dental with free checkups.
    -Salary is reasonable for nonprofits. You can afford to live comfortably in Boston on the salary here, especially at the senior level and above.

Cons

-Whatever you do, it'll be demanding and high-pressure, both because it's challenging and requires long work hours (9-6 at minimum, sometimes well over 60). Burn out is a real risk, and only some supervisors prioritize protecting their employees' time. But again, the tradeoff is you're doing something really meaningful AND making money.
    -Slow to adopt institutional changes. Some might even venture to call it a bit dogmatic. It took way too long before they raised everyone's salary to reflect rises in costs of living. Our racial and socioeconomic diversity leave something to be desired, but we're working on it.
    -Relatedly, it's somewhat bureaucratic (flip side of having systems in place). Very process-driven and mostly for the better (security, accuracy, quality of work), but the result is it takes a long time to move projects forward.
    -Very centralized decision-making. The real decision-makers are the President and Executive Director. They have a hand in just about any somewhat significant decision (especially if you're not already "in") so some might not feel like they have autonomy. We have limited resources so we have to make smart decisions, but sometimes this can be a challenge.

Advice to Management

We expand the scope of our work every year. But sometimes, it might be worth it just to expand our staff (without a corresponding increase in total workload) so we have more reasonable workloads. More sustainable workload = better employee satisfaction = improved staff retention and reduced turnover. In general, we should more proactively invest for the long-term.

Related to that, we should take more risks. We err more on the side of caution than we should. It's scary to take a risk, but we always ask our staff to face those fears: let's do it organizationally too. We're doing better and on the right track, but there's also plenty of room to grow.

Trust your staff more, and listen to what they need. We're doing important work, but sometimes that isn't enough. Just because we don't always agree completely doesn't mean we're not on the same side.

7. "Smart group of people who want to make the world better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

The work Corporate Accountability International does is meaningful and makes a difference in the lives of people around the world. There are leadership opportunities within the organization for people who want to take on more. Staff at every level of the organization have an opportunity to contribute to the planning process. There is a focus on training and staff development. There are lots of celebrations of personal and career milestones! Sometimes it's difficult to maintain hope for the future of our planet and for people who are suffering from the impacts of corporate abuse, and working at this organization inspires hope that a better world is actually possible.

Cons

It's a membership organization, which is really important for maintaining political independence. And it also requires a lot of work by everyone on staff to recruit and retain membership, so it's just not a perfect fit for everyone.

"Great Mission, passionate people, TERRIBLE work environment"

Former Employee - Development in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Development in Boston, MA

I worked at Corporate Accountability International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work they do is very much needed. Their mission is fantastic. Very devoted staff.. at first. One can learn a lot about how to conduct meetings and design a campaign.

Cons

Not a supportive environment for life outside the mission. Strange dynamics between ED/President and DepDir., and rest of the staff. Lots of planning - poor implementation.

Advice to Management

Do not schedule meetings past 5pm. Treat people consistently and with respect. Time for leadership change - the ED/President and DepDir are solely responsible for the very oppressive work culture.

"Great co-workers, horrible management"

Former Employee - Data Adminiatrator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Data Adminiatrator in Boston, MA

I worked at Corporate Accountability International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The low-level organizers are all wonderful energetic people out to change the world. You'll quickly gain a group of 40 close friends you'll keep for a lifetime.

Cons

The management is really unprofessional, vindictive and if you decide to leave they will treat you like a traitor and have been really horrible to almost everyone I know who has moved on. There's even a Google group of dedicated ex-CAI'ers that keep in touch to share stories about how awful it was leaving. These are people that spent years working 45+ hour weeks for sub-$30K pay and just decided to take a new job and put in proper notice.

When I left I put in 2 weeks notice and then was told the next day that It was my last day and I was done that afternoon. I didn't get to tell anyone what happened so when their supervisors told them I was just going to be gone at the end of the day and they wouldn't give further details it made it seem like I was a corporate spy or had been stealing money or something. It was a heartbreaking departure and I'll never feel comfortable stepping foot in the office again. Before I left I had never had any problems at work and was a valued member of the team, the second I said I was leaving (after 2 years) I was some sort of criminal traitor in their eyes.

Advice to Management

Please quit and let someone else take over you give the organization a bad name.

"Great organization culture and people"

I worked at Corporate Accountability International full-time

Pros

Great people! Very smart and passionate

Cons

Salary was a little low