Correctional Healthcare Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dirk Allison

1. "Registered Medical Assistant"

Former Employee - Registered Medical Assistant in Carrollton, GA
    Former Employee - Registered Medical Assistant in Carrollton, GA

Pros

Treat inmates the same as a family member.

Cons

No one gets left behind.

Advice to Management

Be more considerate of employees.

2. "Accounting"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Englewood, CO

Pros

Never bored ans opportunities to do lots of work.

Cons

Owned by private equity firm so it was always understaffed and future of employment always in question.

3. "RN"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Traverse City, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Traverse City, MI

Pros

work alone, forced to learn independently

Cons

treated poorly, no room for advancement,

5. "admin"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ponchatoula, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ponchatoula, LA

I have been working at Correctional Healthcare Companies (Less than a year)

Pros

enjoyed the group i worked with

Cons

unfortunately a ton of lies

"" Overworked, No support, Unappreciated no job security" I worked for El paso County 4 yrs!"

Former Employee - Nurse in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Nurse in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Correctional Healthcare Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being a person who stays away from drama I really enjoyed working with the correctional care employees rather than the medical staff. I can honestly say that I enjoyed the fact that everyday was much different than the next,, that excited me and motivated me. It was a great experience of an autonomy type of nursing, good thing I had years of experience under my belt.

Cons

All chiefs and no indians. Chain of command? Never around when you needed them, Training was a joke. Very unprofessional DON / ADON. Everyone was always afraid they were going to lose their job as they were phasing out Positions and placing nurses in positions where you had to work impossible hours and days that your family life schedule would not permit. Don't count on a raise of any sort. Very pollitical. This starts at the top "corporate", which was very unorganized from support and following through with their promises of personal growth, etc etc. I am surprised that CHC still holds the contract.

Advice to Management

Try being attentive, supportive and able to follow up with your promises of productive change, instead of apologizing for the unproductive changes that frequently occurred . If you are good to your employees, in turn they will be productive for you. Quit managing your company so disorganized and unprofessional, what starts at the top (corporate).reflects in the medical management. This is why you have an ongoing issue with good productive and loyal employees staying with the company.

"Educational"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Golden Valley, AZ
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Golden Valley, AZ

I worked at Correctional Healthcare Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with imprisoned individuals from all walks of life.

Cons

Always have to watch yourself with the officers vs medical staff or inmates.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff vs what the prison wants.

"Unappreciated"

Current Employee - Charge Nurse in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Charge Nurse in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Correctional Healthcare Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working is a variety of patients

Cons

No raises, long days, not appreciated by CHC including DON and HSA

Advice to Management

You are all talk and no action.

"Terrible company to work for!!!!"

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Oshkosh, WI
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at Correctional Healthcare Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working with the inmates and other nurses.

Cons

one nurse for 360 inmates and you are responsible for everything med pass,transcribing orders,assessments,emergencies,diabetic assist notify md prn etc,etc,etc.many officers thought we were there to answer every non emergency question and expected us to just go running because the officers didn't want to deal with the inmates.i ran for everything.everyone gets fired no mater how hard you work or what a great job you do.the md,nurse practioner,nurses get fired.if you work for chc at the Winnebago county jail in Oshkosh,wis you will get fired.

Advice to Management

they don't give a dam!!!!

"CORPORATE IS A NON PROFESSIONAL IMMATURE ENVIRONMENT"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Correctional Healthcare Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None. Some staff are fun and cool to work with. Been here 5 years.

Cons

No one listens. Management is a backward operating machine. One new guy started and had real corporate experience and the other managers were intimidated and quickly targeted him. Kudos to him for standing up to them. First I've seen do this and survive. They still are trying to fire him but can't find reason as he knows his legal. HR is a joke and the Directors are the worst pretend HR people ever seen. No clue but hide it by allowing staff to harass other staff. No professionalism. They need to get rid of the so called Directors of HR and get real staff who actually know HR to run it.

Advice to Management

COMPANY NEEDS A MAKEOVER IN MANAGEMENT

11. "It's a cheap company that isn't striving for excellence"

Current Employee - STaff Registered Nurse in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - STaff Registered Nurse in Denver, CO

Pros

Your patients are interesting and challenging, good job to develop your assessment and critical thinking skills. Patients have a wide variety of chronic and acute illness. Chance to contribute to the wellbeing of an underserved population. Quite a bit of autonomy given to nursing staff. No higher stress or even less stressful than most nursing jobs.

Cons

Company states it has certain standards of care (discharge care plan for example) but then the physicians at a site can decide they won't do it. Or in general the resources aren't provided to achieve the high standards. Employees who strive for excellence don't stay very long with this company because there is no reward for doing a good job. I think the only measurement the company really cares about is under budget. There is no professional development training available. Since you are a contract employee at the sites you aren't thought of as integral part of the team by the owners of the site (custody). The custody powers that be can say, "We don't like that nurse because of any reason (she's ugly)." CHC has no recourse but to listen to them and try and get rid of that employee even though the reason they aren't wanted at the facility is actually an illegal discriminatory reason.

Advice to Management

Provide more motivation and leadership to pursue excellence. Yes they are prisoners, but that is no excuse for not wanting quality and excellence. No excuse at all.