Corrections Corporation of America Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 30, 2017

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Corrections Corporation of America President, CEO, and Director Damon T. Hininger
Damon T. Hininger

Pros
  • the pay is good at some facilities, very bad at most (in 18 reviews)

• Work schedule is great along with good benefits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • This would likely explain the high turnover rate found at many of the facilities (in 11 reviews)

• No help from upper management don't believe in pay increases all out for themselves need more help high turnover rate (in 14 reviews)

1. "Low Morale"

Current Employee - LVN in Florence, AZ
    Current Employee - LVN in Florence, AZ

I have been working at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay. 3 12s, friendly staff

Cons

constant call offs, never enough help. Intaking up to 150 inmates during one night shift with 2 people. All the security hate their job and constantly complain

Advice to Management

Hire better security.

2. "Corrections Officer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

Pros

There are none, None None NONE!

Cons

Low pay, stuck on the units, clicks among staff, much much more

Advice to Management

Review state DOC and compare

3. "CCA"

Former Employee - Business Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

CCA is a progressive company that encourages you to self develop then give them the benefit of your experience. This isn't an outfit that merely looks to have things done their way. It's a wonderful career opportunity.

Cons

There are only upsides to working at CCA.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job

5. "Corrections"

Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Washington, DC

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Easy to excel thru ranks.

Cons

lot of hours, short staffed

Advice to Management

Learn how to be more professional and understand that it's hard for a officer to his/her job if manangement/upper management does not support the officer 100%.

6. "Warden Chief Andrew Gonzalez, and Captain Jose Morales Gonzalez"

Former Employee - Correctional Officer/SWAT in Eloy, AZ
    Former Employee - Correctional Officer/SWAT in Eloy, AZ

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Of doing what I went to school and knowing that I am helping keep the streets and others safe.

Cons

That they have one officer to 200 to 400 inmates and that help is locked behind 3 doors. Tho we are heavily trained that of having to wait 10-15 minutes before I had help.

Advice to Management

Having a couple more officers in the pod and more protection especially being in the high maximum level.

7. "Correctional Officer"

Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Conneaut, OH
    Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Conneaut, OH

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I felt that I had a vital role in protecting the community and my fellow co workers

Cons

poor benefit package and union representation

Advice to Management

improve communication with the officers from upper management

8. "Correctional Officer"

Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

....Still thinking.....Keep in mind, my review is strictly for the Nashville facility. Talking to others, each facility is a bit different, some better, some worse(though not by much). If you're interested in the criminal justice field, this is kind of a good way to get your foot in the door and get a little bit of experience. Though, I would suggest looking at county/city governments first. Also, they've recently changed the name to "CoreCivic"; soon after the feds recommended to their agencies not to contract with them. Back to pros....ummm, it's a paycheck. Take it if you need the job, but keep looking. They've upped the salary a bit from when I started, so the salary is a livable one for this area. Benefits are ok, seen better seen worse. Though you'd think with such a large company, the health/dental would be better than what they are. They meet the bare minimum I would say. Paid time off is ok. Again, had better/worse with other jobs. Don't like how they do it, at end of the year if you don't time it right, stuck with bunch of time you can't use and you don't get paid for it. There is potential to move up, which I actually did contrary to the title I used. The inmates overall weren't too bad to deal with. You have to know how to talk and treat people in this line of work. You have to find that middle ground between being firm and not a pushover. Most of the inmates at this facility were ok to deal with, because they're not doing "hard time" there compared to a state facility. Basically, you're adult babysitter.

Cons

9 times out of 10 they are short staffed. At it's worst, I worked 9 days in a row, 12-16 hour days. Lot of times you had no notice you weren't getting relieved. God forbid the supervisor call and let you know ahead of time. For family life, this job sucks. You can say oh cool overtime! But you will get burned out. Quickly. And, they don't care. You are just a body to fill a mandatory post-remember that. At the time I was there, they had a bad problem with this "clique" of mainly women. And amazingly, they all had been promoted to some level or other. Having a basic conversation with some, you learned they were not very educated and most of them should not have had their positions they did, much less any job there. They ran a lot of people off. Reverse-racism was common. Some of the supervisors had their little pets, who they gave preferential treatment to, better posts, etc. During my time, they had quite a few staff members that were also gang members. There was also a period where we had a bunch of staff get popped for having inappropriate relations with the inmates. And, we had a lot of dirty staff. Granted, those last 3 you will see at any jail/prison, but it just seemed like we had a bunch of them. Training was pathetic, but this is the kind of job you really learn best at OJT, not a classroom. Hiring...well, if you have a pulse and can form a complete thought, you're good. That was done because they were always short staffed, and needed the bodies. So, you'd have a new class of about 15, maybe 1 or 2 of those would make it a few weeks.

Advice to Management

Keep in mind, this is a corporation. Corporations are all about making money-which is fine, that's what they are supposed to do. BUT, it can not be at the expense of your employees and the inmates you are supposed to be taking care of. Management needs to be sorted through all the way down to the first line supervisor, retrained in in interpersonal skills and fire those that are incompetent-and they know who it is.

9. "Corrections Officer"

Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Burlington, CO
    Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Burlington, CO

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Majority of the time depending on what facility you work at, they will offer you as much Overtime as you want. The Benefits are pretty decent here also. Also, depending on the Shift you work, the hours can be very good especially for someone who has a family.

Cons

Be aware that in these types of settings, there is a lot of Bullying that goes on, especially if your not into running with the " Popular Crowd ", ( you know such as like in High School )....

Advice to Management

To actually look at the entire picture more and not just rely off of Senior Management Officer's because perception is not always reality.

10. "Human Resource"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sayre, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sayre, OK

Pros

Great Benefits and good pay

Cons

Management, Corporate World has no idea how to treat employees

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees they know a lot more than you give them credit for.

11. "Shady Company"

Former Employee - Senior Resident Supervisor in Dilley, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Resident Supervisor in Dilley, TX

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the pay is good at some facilities, very bad at most

Cons

high school atmosphere, bad leadership, they only want to tell you what you did wrong never any praise if you do a good job.

Advice to Management

hire better quality people, not just quanity