Corrections Corporation of America Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 14, 2019

2.7
Corrections Corporation of America CEO Damon T. Hininger
Damon T. Hininger

"Not fair, firm, nor consistent. Working in Private Corrections."

Current Employee - Officer

I have been working at Corrections Corporation of America full-time

Pros

Salary (if you are lucky; most facilities pay very poorly for the amount of hours worked), 401K with 5% match. Landing a job with CCA allows one to get their feet wet in the world of corrections (If you can last 6 months and actually enjoy the work, do yourself a favor and apply for corrections at the state or federal level where you can have a pension, job security, and good benefits). If you are fairly attractive... and proficient in the art of brown nosing you can obtain easy posts and promote quickly without much merit or experience.

Cons

Unethical company, no job security, poor training, dearth of leadership in supervisory positions, extreme favoritism, low morale, shortage of staff resulted in lots of mandatory overtime, potentially dangerous outcomes given inmate/detainee population. Corecivic/CCA doesn't give a darn about protecting the community or reducing recidivism. This company is all about the bottom line, often at the expense of its... employees.

Advice to Management

As a multi-billion dollar corporation there is more than enough money flowing through your coffers to hire more Correction/Detention Officers to run your facilities safely and effectively. Understaffing is a critical problem throughout the company. Stop jeopardizing the safety of your employees in order to turn a profit.

Corrections Corporation of America2017-02-23
  2. "Case Manager"

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time

Pros

The work is varied and interesting.

Cons

There are limited opportunities for advancement in Care and Treatment.

Corrections Corporation of America2017-02-04
  3. "Warden Chief Andrew Gonzalez, and Captain Jose Morales Gonzalez"

Former Employee - Correctional Officer/SWAT in Eloy, AZ

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Of doing what I went to school and knowing that I am helping keep the streets and others safe.

Cons

That they have one officer to 200 to 400 inmates and that help is locked behind 3 doors. Tho we are heavily trained that of having to wait 10-15 minutes before I had help.

Advice to Management

Having a couple more officers in the pod and more protection especially being in the high maximum level.

4. "Maintnenance Technician"

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Has a very good benefit package.

Cons

Poor work ethic demonstrated by most workers

5. "Correctional Officer"

Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Conneaut, OH

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

I felt that I had a vital role in protecting the community and my fellow co workers

Cons

poor benefit package and union representation

Advice to Management

improve communication with the officers from upper management

Corrections Corporation of America2017-02-05
  6. "Correctional Officer"

Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

....Still thinking.....Keep in mind, my review is strictly for the Nashville facility. Talking to others, each facility is a bit different, some better, some worse(though not by much). If you're interested in the criminal justice field, this is kind of a good way to get your foot in the door and get a little bit of experience. Though, I would suggest looking at county/city governments first. Also, they've... recently changed the name to "CoreCivic"; soon after the feds recommended to their agencies not to contract with them. Back to pros....ummm, it's a paycheck. Take it if you need the job, but keep looking. They've upped the salary a bit from when I started, so the salary is a livable one for this area. Benefits are ok, seen better seen worse. Though you'd think with such a large company, the health/dental would be better than what they are. They meet the bare minimum I would say. Paid time off is ok. Again, had better/worse with other jobs. Don't like how they do it, at end of the year if you don't time it right, stuck with bunch of time you can't use and you don't get paid for it. There is potential to move up, which I actually did contrary to the title I used. The inmates overall weren't too bad to deal with. You have to know how to talk and treat people in this line of work. You have to find that middle ground between being firm and not a pushover. Most of the inmates at this facility were ok to deal with, because they're not doing "hard time" there compared to a state facility. Basically, you're adult babysitter.

Cons

9 times out of 10 they are short staffed. At it's worst, I worked 9 days in a row, 12-16 hour days. Lot of times you had no notice you weren't getting relieved. God forbid the supervisor call and let you know ahead of time. For family life, this job sucks. You can say oh cool overtime! But you will get burned out. Quickly. And, they don't care. You are just a body to fill a mandatory post-remember that. At... the time I was there, they had a bad problem with this "clique" of mainly women. And amazingly, they all had been promoted to some level or other. Having a basic conversation with some, you learned they were not very educated and most of them should not have had their positions they did, much less any job there. They ran a lot of people off. Reverse-racism was common. Some of the supervisors had their little pets, who they gave preferential treatment to, better posts, etc. During my time, they had quite a few staff members that were also gang members. There was also a period where we had a bunch of staff get popped for having inappropriate relations with the inmates. And, we had a lot of dirty staff. Granted, those last 3 you will see at any jail/prison, but it just seemed like we had a bunch of them. Training was pathetic, but this is the kind of job you really learn best at OJT, not a classroom. Hiring...well, if you have a pulse and can form a complete thought, you're good. That was done because they were always short staffed, and needed the bodies. So, you'd have a new class of about 15, maybe 1 or 2 of those would make it a few weeks.

Advice to Management

Keep in mind, this is a corporation. Corporations are all about making money-which is fine, that's what they are supposed to do. BUT, it can not be at the expense of your employees and the inmates you are supposed to be taking care of. Management needs to be sorted through all the way down to the first line supervisor, retrained in in interpersonal skills and fire those that are incompetent-and they know who it... is.

Corrections Corporation of America2017-01-24
  7. "Corrections Officer"

Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Burlington, CO

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Majority of the time depending on what facility you work at, they will offer you as much Overtime as you want. The Benefits are pretty decent here also. Also, depending on the Shift you work, the hours can be very good especially for someone who has a family.

Cons

Be aware that in these types of settings, there is a lot of Bullying that goes on, especially if your not into running with the " Popular Crowd ", ( you know such as like in High School )....

Advice to Management

To actually look at the entire picture more and not just rely off of Senior Management Officer's because perception is not always reality.

Corrections Corporation of America2017-01-03
  8. "Correctional Officer"

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America

Pros

It's a great company to grow with and go into different areas. Once you are in a get know the job your potential can be unlimited.

Cons

The company can be clickish. Sometimes if you are not in the right group it can make it hard to work, grow, or get respect.

Corrections Corporation of America2017-01-03
  9. "Shady Company"

Former Employee - Senior Resident Supervisor in Dilley, TX

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

the pay is good at some facilities, very bad at most

Cons

high school atmosphere, bad leadership, they only want to tell you what you did wrong never any praise if you do a good job.

Advice to Management

hire better quality people, not just quanity

Corrections Corporation of America2017-01-12
  10. "Case Manager"

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time

Pros

Great direct experience with the population in the corrections/criminal justice field.

Cons

Not a lot of room for upward mobility. Not a lot of support from upper management. Horrendous pay.

Advice to Management

Work on company morale and paying a decent wage.

Corrections Corporation of America2017-01-24