Corrections Corporation of America "inmates" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Corrections Corporation of America Employee Reviews about "inmates"

Updated Jan 2, 2018

2.7
Corrections Corporation of America CEO Damon T. Hininger
Damon T. Hininger
Pros
  • "Good pay, good perks, good people(in 20 reviews)

• "Work schedule is great along with good benefits(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "That they have one officer to 200 to 400 inmates and that help is locked behind 3 doors(in 50 reviews)

• "Mandatory overtime, lazy officers (some supervisors too)(in 15 reviews)

Reviews about "inmates"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Warden Chief Andrew Gonzalez, and Captain Jose Morales Gonzalez"

Former Employee - Correctional Officer/SWAT in Eloy, AZ

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Of doing what I went to school and knowing that I am helping keep the streets and others safe.

Cons

That they have one officer to 200 to 400 inmates and that help is locked behind 3 doors. Tho we are heavily trained that of having to wait 10-15 minutes before I had help.

Advice to Management

Having a couple more officers in the pod and more protection especially being in the high maximum level.

Corrections Corporation of America2017-02-04
  2. "Worth a try."

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits may be make a career with this company worthwhile.

Cons

Personal Safety, Slow and limited process to make things happen for inmates.

Advice to Management

Need to be more approachable.

Corrections Corporation of America2018-01-02

"Correctional Officer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Corrections Corporation of America part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits and Pay, A lot of overtime if you want it.

Cons

Some of Management is no good. People are smart mouthy and very disrespectful, extremely high turn over rate, too relaxed environment, no structure whatsoever, inmates are treated better than the staff, what good is it to have days off if you have to work barrel days and give up 4 of your days off every month because people won't come to work. Never relieved on time. Facility is way out of hand. Hopefully, the State... will take over real soon. They tell you that you can advance up, but they hold you back from climbing higher. Very unorganized and unprofessional. Nobody is ever in the same page.

Advice to Management

Be more helpful to employees, take charge of the things that need to be corrected inside the facilities for our safety as far as STRUCTURE. Create much needed STRUCTURE soon as possible. Remove the barrel days. 12hrs are long hours.

Corrections Corporation of America2017-12-10

"No good."

Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Milan, NM

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Free inmate food for employees. Great insurance packages. Decent pay. Great coffee. Overtime pay, lots of it. Nothing else I can think of.

Cons

Just about everything else. High turnover rate, immature staff, long hours. Bad work environment culture. Administration always on your back. Lazy staff. Inmates have more rights than staff. You spend more time at this job than at your own home. Rumor mill.

Advice to Management

Learn how to work together. Stop throwing co-workers under the bus.

Corrections Corporation of America2017-11-18
  5. "correction officer"

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time

Pros

working with inmates helping with everyday living.

Cons

working long hours and not enough days off.

Advice to Management

monitor workers hours.

Corrections Corporation of America2017-09-28
  6. "Low Morale"

Current Employee - LVN in Florence, AZ

I have been working at Corrections Corporation of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay. 3 12s, friendly staff

Cons

constant call offs, never enough help. Intaking up to 150 inmates during one night shift with 2 people. All the security hate their job and constantly complain

Advice to Management

Hire better security.

Corrections Corporation of America2017-03-28

"Not fair, firm, nor consistent. Working in Private Corrections."

Current Employee - Officer

I have been working at Corrections Corporation of America full-time

Pros

Salary (if you are lucky; most facilities pay very poorly for the amount of hours worked), 401K with 5% match. Landing a job with CCA allows one to get their feet wet in the world of corrections (If you can last 6 months and actually enjoy the work, do yourself a favor and apply for corrections at the state or federal level where you can have a pension, job security, and good benefits). If you are fairly attractive... and proficient in the art of brown nosing you can obtain easy posts and promote quickly without much merit or experience.

Cons

Unethical company, no job security, poor training, dearth of leadership in supervisory positions, extreme favoritism, low morale, shortage of staff resulted in lots of mandatory overtime, potentially dangerous outcomes given inmate/detainee population. Corecivic/CCA doesn't give a darn about protecting the community or reducing recidivism. This company is all about the bottom line, often at the expense of its... employees.

Advice to Management

As a multi-billion dollar corporation there is more than enough money flowing through your coffers to hire more Correction/Detention Officers to run your facilities safely and effectively. Understaffing is a critical problem throughout the company. Stop jeopardizing the safety of your employees in order to turn a profit.

Corrections Corporation of America2017-02-23
  8. "Correctional Officer"

Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

....Still thinking.....Keep in mind, my review is strictly for the Nashville facility. Talking to others, each facility is a bit different, some better, some worse(though not by much). If you're interested in the criminal justice field, this is kind of a good way to get your foot in the door and get a little bit of experience. Though, I would suggest looking at county/city governments first. Also, they've... recently changed the name to "CoreCivic"; soon after the feds recommended to their agencies not to contract with them. Back to pros....ummm, it's a paycheck. Take it if you need the job, but keep looking. They've upped the salary a bit from when I started, so the salary is a livable one for this area. Benefits are ok, seen better seen worse. Though you'd think with such a large company, the health/dental would be better than what they are. They meet the bare minimum I would say. Paid time off is ok. Again, had better/worse with other jobs. Don't like how they do it, at end of the year if you don't time it right, stuck with bunch of time you can't use and you don't get paid for it. There is potential to move up, which I actually did contrary to the title I used. The inmates overall weren't too bad to deal with. You have to know how to talk and treat people in this line of work. You have to find that middle ground between being firm and not a pushover. Most of the inmates at this facility were ok to deal with, because they're not doing "hard time" there compared to a state facility. Basically, you're adult babysitter.

Cons

9 times out of 10 they are short staffed. At it's worst, I worked 9 days in a row, 12-16 hour days. Lot of times you had no notice you weren't getting relieved. God forbid the supervisor call and let you know ahead of time. For family life, this job sucks. You can say oh cool overtime! But you will get burned out. Quickly. And, they don't care. You are just a body to fill a mandatory post-remember that. At... the time I was there, they had a bad problem with this "clique" of mainly women. And amazingly, they all had been promoted to some level or other. Having a basic conversation with some, you learned they were not very educated and most of them should not have had their positions they did, much less any job there. They ran a lot of people off. Reverse-racism was common. Some of the supervisors had their little pets, who they gave preferential treatment to, better posts, etc. During my time, they had quite a few staff members that were also gang members. There was also a period where we had a bunch of staff get popped for having inappropriate relations with the inmates. And, we had a lot of dirty staff. Granted, those last 3 you will see at any jail/prison, but it just seemed like we had a bunch of them. Training was pathetic, but this is the kind of job you really learn best at OJT, not a classroom. Hiring...well, if you have a pulse and can form a complete thought, you're good. That was done because they were always short staffed, and needed the bodies. So, you'd have a new class of about 15, maybe 1 or 2 of those would make it a few weeks.

Advice to Management

Keep in mind, this is a corporation. Corporations are all about making money-which is fine, that's what they are supposed to do. BUT, it can not be at the expense of your employees and the inmates you are supposed to be taking care of. Management needs to be sorted through all the way down to the first line supervisor, retrained in in interpersonal skills and fire those that are incompetent-and they know who it... is.

Corrections Corporation of America2017-01-24
  9. "Not worth it"

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Bartlett, TX

I have been working at Corrections Corporation of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Being able to say you have a job. Probably the only pro

Cons

Employees start drama with everyone. Officers are bringing in drugs and sleeping with the inmates. Absolutely no control over the inmates. They come and go as they please. Staff comes to work high. If they drug tested their officers/new sgts More than once(upon hiring) they would find this out. Absolute mess. Academy is a joke. And $12 an hour?? Definitely not worth it. Plus I know some higher ups And Bartlett will... be closed within a year. Thank God

Advice to Management

Random drug testing! I work there and have seen with my own eyes officers getting high in the parking lot!! Get control over that place. It really is a mess

Corrections Corporation of America2017-01-04
  10. "Good Start in Law enforcement/Security"

I have been working at Corrections Corporation of America

Pros

Good benefits, amount of PTO & Holidays, good 401(k) match after 1 year, lots of OT, ability to promote quickly if competent

Cons

Lots of OT, inmates call you names and can be violent. Not a job for everyone.

Corrections Corporation of America2016-10-04