Corsair Reviews in Fremont, CA | Glassdoor

Fremont, CA

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Andy Paul

Pros
  • They offer generous profit sharing, and it can be a fun corporate culture if you like PCs and gaming (in 5 reviews)

• Work life balance is what you make it (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management isn't doing anything (in 6 reviews)

• Working at corsair I wore many hats but was never acknowledged for all my hard work (in 2 reviews)

1. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Corsair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is flexible and HR is great. They offer generous profit sharing, and it can be a fun corporate culture if you like PCs and gaming.

Cons

There are some issues with office politics, and sometime corners are cut or products get rushed to market which can sometimes lead to lower quality.

Advice to Management

Some upper level managers needs to be held more accountable for issues and mistakes which can cause problems for everyone else.

"Pass the sniff test?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I worked at Corsair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a gamer/enthusiast you will find lots of people who share your interest.

Cons

Poor management. Encouraging fake reviews here doesn't help, either.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Fremont, CA

Pros

Opportunities to advance, I see a lot of people getting promoted

Cons

long hours are sometimes required

"No oversight"

Former Employee - Finance Professional in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Finance Professional in Fremont, CA

I worked at Corsair (More than a year)

Pros

No way this company has pros

Cons

The finance team which is supposed to be accurate has no oversight.

Since there was lack of oversight the entire department suffered.

Some people liked to just have a job and stay there.

But the people with sense left already.

The pay was really bad and management dumps more work on you without giving a raise.

Advice to Management

Fire the entire finance team and start over

"You know it's Bad when HR post fake reviews"

Former Employee - Sales in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Fremont, CA

Pros

Some of the people here are very bright and very hard working. They're willing to put in 10-12 hour days and additional time at home. They are dedicated to their work and their craft. However, the company often are oblivious to these people, the only one that gets any praises are raises are the ones who have play the kiss up game or the toot their own horn game and it works! Thus in the end, the higher up you move, the less and less competent and more about rash decisions and shifting of blame.

The good stuff:

- If you work here for 5 years, you'll get a lovely COASTER! (I'm not even kidding)
    - Stay here 8 years and you'll get a jacket! WOO HOO!
    - Work here 10 years and you'll be able to look back fondly to a time when you were happy - in the very distance past

Advice: If you work here, stay AWAY from busses, someone is bound to throw you in front of one!

Cons

You know a company's culture is in trouble when HR resort to writing fake reviews on glassdoor, it's so obvious and their praises are always the same. If anything, this type of stuff should be a bigger red flags than the employee's reviews.

If you want to put in lonnnnnng hours, relatively low pay, little to no appreciation and having to constantly watch your back, you'll love it here.

Around product launch time, big trade events (Computex, PAX etc), end of the quarter and end of the year, not only are your weeks longer, your weekend gets cut down to 1 day as you'll come to find M-F just isn't enough for Corsair.

After all the hard work you put in, when the company have their annual review, they will ask you to rank yourself from 1-5 (5 being the highest) and then tell you NOT put 5 for anything, because 5 is IMPOSSIBLE to achieve! If your manager ranks you as a 5, they will ask your manager to reevaluate or if they're "sure" they want to rank you as a 5.

You will finally get your annual raise, most likely between 1-4%, keeping up with inflation is a 50/50 there.

If you're fed up, you will finally leave and find another job that will most likely pay you 50-100% more than what you made at Corsair with much less demand on your time and stress.

Advice to Management

I learned a new term "Retired In Place" (R.I.P). This applies mostly to the senior and upper management. They're out of date and out of touch. They will just come to work, make some decision out of nowhere that makes no sense and disappear. Once the decision turns out to be horrible, the blame game begins and usually whoever is lowest on the prefer list will end up with the blame. Rise and repeat is the name of the game.

I would suggest that Corsair take a close look and identify who these people are, but unfortunately the people with the ability to do so are also some of those people who are retired in place.

"new building improvements"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Corsair full-time

Pros

We moved to a new building a little more than a year ago, which is nice, and there are new tables in the cafeteria and some conference rooms. There are some really great, hard-working people who care about the products. And, the products they make are very good.

Cons

The CEO and COO can't properly delegate, and capriciously change focus week to week. We have middle managers who talk when they should be listening, and who play their employees against each other with brutal precision. We've been losing good employees through questionable reorganizations or because they've simply grown frustrated with upper management. Favoritism runs rampant. Salaries are not competitive, there are no equity programs that I am aware of.

Advice to Management

Think about the decisions you make more carefully. Show employees that you value them. Give me a reason to admire and respect you more.

8. "Great Company, Bright Future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Pros

-Firstly, I love the people. From the CEO on down the people are really good. Sr Mgt is very approachable, which is different than many companies of this size where the leaders tend to isolate themselves from the rank and file.
    -There isn't a lot of bureaucracy, If a decision needs to get made, it gets made without all of the back and forth between stakeholders. I value the fact that I don't need to check with my boss on every decision. I feel empowered to "own" my job and also feel supported by my boss if things don't happen exactly as planned.
    -Portfolio of businesses, What sold me on joining corsair was the 3 different businesses (Memory, Components and Gaming Peripherals). There's a little bit of everything... The commodity business (Memory) with low growth and low margin. The cash cow (Components) with a fair amount of innovation. Then finally the growth business (Peripherals) with high growth, high potential, heavy R&D and lots of Marketing. I think this is a distinct strategic advantage!
    -excellent benefits package as well as profit sharing and bonus (at upper levels)

Cons

There is an really tight control over expenses. 99% of the time this is not an issue however there are situations where we take this too far.

Advice to Management

Stay approachable as the company grows. Its important that people feel comfortable coming to you with issues, which becomes harder as the company grows larger and more complex.

9. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Corsair full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Corsair makes great products, and most of the people who work there are very passionate about their jobs and what they do. Many of the employees are great friends. There is a gym, a yoga room and the building is top notch. Work life balance is what you make it. I have enjoyed working here and would recommend it.

Cons

too many meetings keep certain departments tied up and unavailable.

"Challenging, inequality among employees but met some nice people"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Fremont, CA

I worked at Corsair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Corsair close to 3 years and the beginning was definitely better. Sales dept had better management. I met some really friendly people and the health benefits are decent. I learned a lot from some pretty intelligent folks. Overall atmosphere of upper management is supportive but not cohesive.
    Owner Andy Paul is a pretty nice man, very busy but does take time to interact with his employees.

Cons

I agree with previous reviews that morale is WAY down now. I left due to not enough growth and not enough support from manager/supervisor. There's also some inequality among employees. With one employee being allowed to work 'off-site' in another state, allowed the same salary and benefits while the rest of the sales team has to work on site. Even after someone requests to be allowed to work from home at least one day a week (to be able to be with family), requests are denied. So be prepared to experience some of this unfairness/inequality among your coworkers. I'm sure this is part of the reason why morale is so low. In my 3 years there I did witness a high turnover rate which is also not a good sign. There's also too many changes without any progress. New procedures go through an adjustment period but before finishing one thing, they change the whole process, making an already challenging situation more difficult.

Advice to Management

Treat ALL your employees equally. It looks really bad on management when you give preference to only a 'selected' few and tell the rest of your employees they need to follow company policies and procedures. Everyone is watching this unfairness and is only adding to the very low morale around the workplace. Like previous reviews say, take care of your people.

11. "Hit and Miss with Corsair.. but my experience was good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I worked at Corsair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, smart people, and nice location, these are some the things I think about when I think of Corsair. Despite all the negative comments my almost 2 years there was a great learning experience for me. What I really miss the most is the people, everyone was friendly and open to communication from my experience. Upper management has its good and not so good people (just like any other company). Andy Paul is a nice guy, he's just so busy he does not have time to stop and chit chat with you but when you have him alone he really does take the time to talk to you and so does Thi La.

Cons

The only reason I left was compensation and growth, I was looking for more in my career and hit a stand still. It would have been nice to be paid market or what I was really worth because I worked hard and helped developed ideas/processes when I was there. Word of the wise please show your employees appreciation and they will show it back. Morale is down and I think its time to build it back up!

Advice to Management

Take care of your people and they will take care of you!