Corsair Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Andy Paul

Pros
  • Work life balance is what you make it (in 3 reviews)

• There are some good people within the ranks at Corsair, and the CEO / COO have grand aspirations (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • We've been losing good employees through questionable reorganizations or because they've simply grown frustrated with upper management (in 7 reviews)

• Working at corsair I wore many hats but was never acknowledged for all my hard work (in 2 reviews)

1. "A mixed bag if you are a top player"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Newark, CA

I worked at Corsair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some good people within the ranks at Corsair, and the CEO / COO have grand aspirations. It still feels like a small company, and therefore everyone has an opportunity to make a difference if they are hard charging and want to take on more responsibility.

The new facility is pretty nice and has lots of lunch options nearby.

Cons

Overall there are some good employees at Corsair, but the rank and file are a somewhat odd group who either couldn't make it at the major firms in the Valley or never could. Worse still, the upper management keeps a lid on the grade of employee by "promoting from within" and not paying scale after promotion. These reduced salaries that they claim are "scale" to the rest of the Valley are accomplished by comparing salaries to only the Taiwanese chip manufacturers like MSI or Gigabyte, not Apple, HP or Google, etc.

So be prepared for heavy resistance to your salary ask if you are an A or B player. They will NOT increase your current salary in order to bring over superstars from the competition. If your current salary is commensurate with current rates, they may require that you furnish them with an offer letter from your PREVIOUS employer to prove your compensation level.

Advice to Management

The middle management layer is still a mess. Have the courage to hire directors/sr. directors that are competent enough that you can trust them to own their divisions without having to be micromanaged.

"Pass the sniff test?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I worked at Corsair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a gamer/enthusiast you will find lots of people who share your interest.

Cons

Poor management. Encouraging fake reviews here doesn't help, either.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Fremont, CA

Pros

Opportunities to advance, I see a lot of people getting promoted

Cons

long hours are sometimes required

"No oversight"

Former Employee - Finance Professional in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Finance Professional in Fremont, CA

I worked at Corsair (More than a year)

Pros

No way this company has pros

Cons

The finance team which is supposed to be accurate has no oversight.

Since there was lack of oversight the entire department suffered.

Some people liked to just have a job and stay there.

But the people with sense left already.

The pay was really bad and management dumps more work on you without giving a raise.

Advice to Management

Fire the entire finance team and start over

"You know it's Bad when HR post fake reviews"

Former Employee - Sales in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Fremont, CA

Pros

Some of the people here are very bright and very hard working. They're willing to put in 10-12 hour days and additional time at home. They are dedicated to their work and their craft. However, the company often are oblivious to these people, the only one that gets any praises are raises are the ones who have play the kiss up game or the toot their own horn game and it works! Thus in the end, the higher up you move, the less and less competent and more about rash decisions and shifting of blame.

The good stuff:

- If you work here for 5 years, you'll get a lovely COASTER! (I'm not even kidding)
    - Stay here 8 years and you'll get a jacket! WOO HOO!
    - Work here 10 years and you'll be able to look back fondly to a time when you were happy - in the very distance past

Advice: If you work here, stay AWAY from busses, someone is bound to throw you in front of one!

Cons

You know a company's culture is in trouble when HR resort to writing fake reviews on glassdoor, it's so obvious and their praises are always the same. If anything, this type of stuff should be a bigger red flags than the employee's reviews.

If you want to put in lonnnnnng hours, relatively low pay, little to no appreciation and having to constantly watch your back, you'll love it here.

Around product launch time, big trade events (Computex, PAX etc), end of the quarter and end of the year, not only are your weeks longer, your weekend gets cut down to 1 day as you'll come to find M-F just isn't enough for Corsair.

After all the hard work you put in, when the company have their annual review, they will ask you to rank yourself from 1-5 (5 being the highest) and then tell you NOT put 5 for anything, because 5 is IMPOSSIBLE to achieve! If your manager ranks you as a 5, they will ask your manager to reevaluate or if they're "sure" they want to rank you as a 5.

You will finally get your annual raise, most likely between 1-4%, keeping up with inflation is a 50/50 there.

If you're fed up, you will finally leave and find another job that will most likely pay you 50-100% more than what you made at Corsair with much less demand on your time and stress.

Advice to Management

I learned a new term "Retired In Place" (R.I.P). This applies mostly to the senior and upper management. They're out of date and out of touch. They will just come to work, make some decision out of nowhere that makes no sense and disappear. Once the decision turns out to be horrible, the blame game begins and usually whoever is lowest on the prefer list will end up with the blame. Rise and repeat is the name of the game.

I would suggest that Corsair take a close look and identify who these people are, but unfortunately the people with the ability to do so are also some of those people who are retired in place.

"Fun work environment. Creativity allowed."

Current Employee - Product Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Corsair (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very laid back atmosphere where people are allowed to express their opinions and be creative. Flexible hours (as long as they don't conflict with meetings). Lots of strong teams working together in the same office allows for efficient work flow and ease of communication.

Cons

A lot of meetings. But this is a pro as well as a con as it ensures thorough communication between teams. It can just be a bit of a time suck at times.

Advice to Management

Need better snack/soda machines in the break room. :-)

"new building improvements"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Corsair full-time

Pros

We moved to a new building a little more than a year ago, which is nice, and there are new tables in the cafeteria and some conference rooms. There are some really great, hard-working people who care about the products. And, the products they make are very good.

Cons

The CEO and COO can't properly delegate, and capriciously change focus week to week. We have middle managers who talk when they should be listening, and who play their employees against each other with brutal precision. We've been losing good employees through questionable reorganizations or because they've simply grown frustrated with upper management. Favoritism runs rampant. Salaries are not competitive, there are no equity programs that I am aware of.

Advice to Management

Think about the decisions you make more carefully. Show employees that you value them. Give me a reason to admire and respect you more.

"Worst Place To Work In The Bay Area - Low Pay, High Turn Over, No Advancement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Corsair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is no pros working here!!

Cons

The worst company i have ever worked for. If you are female, you are most likely underpaid comparing to most male seniors within your department, despite the fact that you're doing more work than anyone else's position. No rewards/no advancement opportunity.

Advice to Management

Treat your employee well and they will bring you business.

"Great Company, Bright Future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Pros

-Firstly, I love the people. From the CEO on down the people are really good. Sr Mgt is very approachable, which is different than many companies of this size where the leaders tend to isolate themselves from the rank and file.
    -There isn't a lot of bureaucracy, If a decision needs to get made, it gets made without all of the back and forth between stakeholders. I value the fact that I don't need to check with my boss on every decision. I feel empowered to "own" my job and also feel supported by my boss if things don't happen exactly as planned.
    -Portfolio of businesses, What sold me on joining corsair was the 3 different businesses (Memory, Components and Gaming Peripherals). There's a little bit of everything... The commodity business (Memory) with low growth and low margin. The cash cow (Components) with a fair amount of innovation. Then finally the growth business (Peripherals) with high growth, high potential, heavy R&D and lots of Marketing. I think this is a distinct strategic advantage!
    -excellent benefits package as well as profit sharing and bonus (at upper levels)

Cons

There is an really tight control over expenses. 99% of the time this is not an issue however there are situations where we take this too far.

Advice to Management

Stay approachable as the company grows. Its important that people feel comfortable coming to you with issues, which becomes harder as the company grows larger and more complex.

11. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Corsair full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Corsair makes great products, and most of the people who work there are very passionate about their jobs and what they do. Many of the employees are great friends. There is a gym, a yoga room and the building is top notch. Work life balance is what you make it. I have enjoyed working here and would recommend it.

Cons

too many meetings keep certain departments tied up and unavailable.