Corsair Reviews | Glassdoor

Corsair Reviews

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Andy Paul

Pros
  • Work life balance is what you make it (in 3 reviews)

• Lots of good people in management who want the company to succeed and dedicate tons of their personal time to that effort (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • We've been losing good employees through questionable reorganizations or because they've simply grown frustrated with upper management (in 7 reviews)

• Working at corsair I wore many hats but was never acknowledged for all my hard work (in 2 reviews)

"No oversight"

Former Employee - Finance Professional in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Finance Professional in Fremont, CA

I worked at Corsair (More than a year)

Pros

No way this company has pros

Cons

The finance team which is supposed to be accurate has no oversight.

Since there was lack of oversight the entire department suffered.

Some people liked to just have a job and stay there.

But the people with sense left already.

The pay was really bad and management dumps more work on you without giving a raise.

Advice to Management

Fire the entire finance team and start over

"You know it's Bad when HR post fake reviews"

Former Employee - Sales in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Fremont, CA

Pros

Some of the people here are very bright and very hard working. They're willing to put in 10-12 hour days and additional time at home. They are dedicated to their work and their craft. However, the company often are oblivious to these people, the only one that gets any praises are raises are the ones who have play the kiss up game or the toot their own horn game and it works! Thus in the end, the higher up you move, the less and less competent and more about rash decisions and shifting of blame.

The good stuff:

- If you work here for 5 years, you'll get a lovely COASTER! (I'm not even kidding)
    - Stay here 8 years and you'll get a jacket! WOO HOO!
    - Work here 10 years and you'll be able to look back fondly to a time when you were happy - in the very distance past

Advice: If you work here, stay AWAY from busses, someone is bound to throw you in front of one!

Cons

You know a company's culture is in trouble when HR resort to writing fake reviews on glassdoor, it's so obvious and their praises are always the same. If anything, this type of stuff should be a bigger red flags than the employee's reviews.

If you want to put in lonnnnnng hours, relatively low pay, little to no appreciation and having to constantly watch your back, you'll love it here.

Around product launch time, big trade events (Computex, PAX etc), end of the quarter and end of the year, not only are your weeks longer, your weekend gets cut down to 1 day as you'll come to find M-F just isn't enough for Corsair.

After all the hard work you put in, when the company have their annual review, they will ask you to rank yourself from 1-5 (5 being the highest) and then tell you NOT put 5 for anything, because 5 is IMPOSSIBLE to achieve! If your manager ranks you as a 5, they will ask your manager to reevaluate or if they're "sure" they want to rank you as a 5.

You will finally get your annual raise, most likely between 1-4%, keeping up with inflation is a 50/50 there.

If you're fed up, you will finally leave and find another job that will most likely pay you 50-100% more than what you made at Corsair with much less demand on your time and stress.

Advice to Management

I learned a new term "Retired In Place" (R.I.P). This applies mostly to the senior and upper management. They're out of date and out of touch. They will just come to work, make some decision out of nowhere that makes no sense and disappear. Once the decision turns out to be horrible, the blame game begins and usually whoever is lowest on the prefer list will end up with the blame. Rise and repeat is the name of the game.

I would suggest that Corsair take a close look and identify who these people are, but unfortunately the people with the ability to do so are also some of those people who are retired in place.

"Worst Place To Work In The Bay Area - Low Pay, High Turn Over, No Advancement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Corsair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is no pros working here!!

Cons

The worst company i have ever worked for. If you are female, you are most likely underpaid comparing to most male seniors within your department, despite the fact that you're doing more work than anyone else's position. No rewards/no advancement opportunity.

Advice to Management

Treat your employee well and they will bring you business.

"All these 1-Star Reviews"

I worked at Corsair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro I can think of is if you put yourself out there, you can get to know some pretty cool people. However, lately in 2015 all I've been hearing is, "damn, another good one gone" because all the good people know their worth. They know that they deserve better than Corsair and they have all really found MUCH better and are a lot happier now.

It is also a pro on the occasion that we actually DO get profit share for that quarter. Since our raises are a joke, every little bit matters. We have an employee discount on our products. Though it seems the % keeps dropping over the years, 50% --> 40% --> 30%. Oh, they also reduced the cost of the food in our vending machines recently. No, we're not like other companies, we don't have free snacks or drinks. snacks used to be $1.50+ and drinks were $3+ for a normal dasani bottle water or soda.

If you like to walk, we are next to a nice creek path. You can see squirrels, geese, etc.

Cons

Office politics, lots of it. If you like to play the blame game, this is the place to be. I do agree that a lot of the directors are old and incompetent. They make split second decisions and do not consult others, resulting in dumb releases that are not popular with the public. There is no growth, your ideas do not matter. Would you want to work your butt off only to find out your yearly raise feels like pocket change? Sure getting a promotion is an excuse to give you a raise, but those will only be allowed if the opening/need arises. The company is doing too poorly to do anything for you.

You should already be warned when you see so many one star reviews for this company, you can assume that the 5 star reviews are created by HR. Before I started, I asked in my interviewer why Corsair had so many bad reviews. Their natural response, "well, you know, there will always be disgruntled employees in every company" When I took this job, it was at a pay cut and I had other options. The only thing I had hope for was because they spent an hour trying to convince me of my potential for growth, so I felt that -i- was actually of value, so I gave it a chance. I did tasks out of my responsibilities and worked 10 hour days only to hear at my exit interview "well, that was unfortunate"

Advice to Management

If you want to treat good people like they are disposable, then all you will be left with is a pile of trash. You should take a hard look at what people are really saying and not discredit or disregard it to "go back to business as usual" or you will never progress as a company.

"Don't do it."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I worked at Corsair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the people here are nice..
    Nice location.

Cons

If you like a cut throat work environment, this is the place for you.
    CEO is cheap, and doesn't appreciate his employees.
    The pay is not at market value, and if you ask for a raise expect to get laughed at.

Advice to Management

Learn how to appreciate your employees, pay them better and stop being so damn cheap.

"Toxic for your health and career"

Former Employee - Manager in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Fremont, CA

I worked at Corsair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There really are none. Get your pay elsewhere.

Cons

Where to start? This company is run by a dominatrix for a COO who knows all and what is best and seems to make decisions by literally throwing darts at the board and hoping the strategy hits the bulls eye. Most of the time the decisions are ad hoc, without research and without merit and turn to crap.

The upper management are puppets and yes men to her. All who actually come with ideas have been chased out as she only looks for yes men lap dogs. The result is a horrible atmosphere in the company with managers who have no balls and do whatever she says. The CEO is a straw man.

The directors are all from external companies and make loads of money, while they pile the work onto us lower peons and expect way too much when they themselves are useless. The result is they work people until they burn out and then they fire them for lack of productivity. The turnover alone for empoyees is very high.

Annual raises are a joke, between .5 - 3 % even in a record year. Mostly, it is insulting what they give, yet they continue to pile more work on you with the promise to review your salary in the next Quarter. It never happens.

There is no coaching, or training, or career advancement. If you do get a promotion, you can expect the same pay, or maybe 5% on top. It is a joke.

The atmosphere is CYA, back stabbing, finger pointing and there is an extreme lack of collaboration between departments. I have never worked in such a toxic dump.

Advice to Management

Fire your COO and all the directors. Learn to treat your employees right. Pay them at least market level and give them good raises. Profit sharing is ok when it happens, but never happens each quarter. You need to change the politics in the company or you will go down.

"You deserve better!"

Former Employee - Operations in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Operations in Fremont, CA

I worked at Corsair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of great people here, unfortunately few to none in management.

Cons

Corsair is one of those places where managers who are at the end of their careers gravitate towards. They have been working for 15-20+ years already and are no longer hungry or driven. They come here to be a "Yes Man" to the aloof CEO and the Micromanager COO while they dump the work on young overworked and underpaid talent. They set expectations out of thin air with ever changing deadlines, collect annual bonuses while doling out 0-3% annual raises, even after a record breaking year!

The only sure fire way to get decent raises is to get an offer from another company to show to that you're underpaid and undervalued or live off the "we're working on getting you what you deserve!" indefinitely. Word to the wise, take the offer elsewhere, you'll be much happier.

If you're young and ambitious, you'll start here determined to learn and make a dent. What will happen is you'll be drained of every ounce of enthusiasm, run into one road block after another by people who are incompetent but prideful until finally you'll burnout and realize life is too short to stay at a place like this.

Perks: There are none! Save your change! Corsair will provide you with unlimited tap water, but if you want anything else, they have vending machines are more expensive than Airport vending machines!

Advice to Management

Hiring more managers to manage existing managers who are already pawning off work to the already overworked staff, how could such a strategy fail?

"Where do I start?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Pros

Health Benefits
    Quarterly bonus
    New office

Cons

The company is run by the C.O.O who thinks she knows everything. If you are someone's favorite then you are sure to succeed. Upper management will yell and curse at you. They have no sense of respect and do not take responsibility for their mistakes.

Advice to Management

The upper management is so far gone no advice can even be given

"Corsair was a waste of my time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Pros

Only pro was living close to work, only 10 min commute.

Cons

Working at corsair I wore many hats but was never acknowledged for all my hard work. The one thing I dislike about this place is how the CEO never acknowledged his employees if he didn't know them by name he has his favorites and that's the sales team. The COO basically runs the company and the employees are paid way below average. I would say stay away from this place. No employee recognition or fun activities for employees, executives don't think it's worth the money.

Advice to Management

Fight hard for your hardworking employees, they deserve better pay.

"Good intentions vs scary bad senior management"

Current Employee - Professional in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Professional in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Corsair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart and passionate employees who work hard.

Cons

Horrible senior management. CEO is cheap and strange, recently preferring to spend more time off on safari than at work. New COO is a nightmare. She is the worst micro-manager I have ever seen, whose lack of humility is only exceeded by her willingness to make "snap decisions" without understanding the facts. New board (following investment by Francisco Partners) has made things worse.

Do not look for empowerment at Corsair. Do not expect to be compensated fairly, or that annual reviews will have any relationship to reality. Nobody here knows how to manage people.

Advice to Management

Start looking beyond HP for senior management experience.